Discussion about locations of Moots (Winter Moot February 18-24th 2019)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Just got a message back from the Polish Bushcrafters I know. They say they are definitely providing a contingent. I should imagine they will be up for building hot and cold smokers for fish, meats etc. They do love their outdoor cooking.

Wait til they see the pizza oven, lol

Reactions: paulds

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Yeah we should definitely have a Northern Moot!!
I second that! I don't have a car and live on the coast in the middle of nowhere (well Scarborough sure feels like that) - I suspect it would be easier to get to the moon than the current Moot sites! And whilst I am in a ranting mood the North Woods should be renamed as it contravenes the trade descriptions act :)

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I second that! I don't have a car and live on the coast in the middle of nowhere (well Scarborough sure feels like that) - I suspect it would be easier to get to the moon than the current Moot sites! And whilst I am in a ranting mood the North Woods should be renamed as it contravenes the trade descriptions act :)

You have to think of the accessibility for the vast majority of folk attending. I live on the Sussex coast so the current Moot is 4 hours drive.

Getting to the lakes for me is 6-8 hours depending on traffic.

Of you can get enough folk for the North requesting a northern Moot then undoubtedly Tony will listen. Until then it’s his cash on the line creating an event that might end up costing him his shirt.

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
I think the best we can get for the moment is the Giants seat camps. Of we can potentially get one a week long in the Spring and get a few instructors we might have a chance

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Wayland

Hárbarðr
You have to think of the accessibility for the vast majority of folk attending. I live on the Sussex coast so the current Moot is 4 hours drive.

Getting to the lakes for me is 6-8 hours depending on traffic.

Of you can get enough folk for the North requesting a northern Moot then undoubtedly Tony will listen. Until then it’s his cash on the line creating an event that might end up costing him his shirt.

We've been asking for a Northern Moot for years.

For a Winter Moot I would have thought Scotland might have provided more suitable weather conditions but I'll be up there about then anyway.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
We've been asking for a Northern Moot for years.

For a Winter Moot I would have thought Scotland might have provided more suitable weather conditions but I'll be up there about then anyway.

It’s a numbers game, the maths has to work. We have a very good site at MM that has a good mix of woodland and open space with facilities close to good transport links.

If you can suggest a quality venue that offers similar up north for a sensible price then we can look at a northern Moot.

Personally I’d like a winter Moot somewhere proper cold like Finland or Romania but I know that would limit the numbers to a few people with the time and funds to attend.

We try to be as inclusive as possible.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
MM might be a very good site but I dispute its accessibility, for the vast majority of people it's a trek. If it really is all about numbers, then I would suggest a central location would encourage more people to attend.

Last edited:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
MM might be a very good site but I dispute its accessibility, for the vast majority of people it's a trek. If it really is all about numbers, then I would suggest a central location would encourage more people to attend.

It’s a trek for me but then everywhere is a trek from the Sussex Coast. It really depends on what you think a reasonable journey time is to attend. My cut off is around the 5 hour mark.

So my challenge to our northern friends is can you find a site that offers the facilities like MM. lots of space for tents and hammocks. Adequate parking well drained soil. Allows fires in a scenic location with good transport links. Railway station within 5 miles and shops, not too far form the motorway network?

It’s a tall order. The BCUK team have been looking.

paulds

Sep 28, 2016
Manchester
That's a very good point Wayne. A venue like the South Wales site is going to be difficult to find. A mini moot may be practical though. The Autumn moot wasn't as well attended. Derbyshire might be a good location.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
That's a very good point Wayne. A venue like the South Wales site is going to be difficult to find. A mini moot may be practical though. The Autumn moot wasn't as well attended. Derbyshire might be a good location.

The autumn and winter moots are in their infancy and are not intended to be a copy of the larger Summer Moot which will a,ways be the main event. The other smaller moots are more intimate skills focussed returning more to the earlier days of the moots.

The other moots will grow as they become a part of folks calendars from small acorns etc.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
The Autumn moot wasn't as well attended.
That, sadly, is a fact. However it had a totally different feel to it. It was a much more laid back style. While you are free to do your own thing, should you wish, at "The Moot", there is a timetable running and certain things happen at set days/times. The Autumn Moot was a different beast. For myself, the great thing was I could think of it as having just popped home for a change of clothes / cup of tea and then back to spending time in the woods. We still had the run of the place with the advantage of good loos and clean water. [yes you could make a long drop if you really really wanted but that's a whole new thread]. Should there be more autumn moots, and I so hope there will be, it will build a style all of its own. I for one would be happy to head in a different direction than the summer trek but it would still have to be more then just a different wood / postcode.
I wish the site was closer to home but am of the believe that the site borders on being unique. There are many sites, I am sure, that tick many of the boxes. How many are there that tick them all?

Until then I am happy to return to MM but do please keep looking.

{P.S. something can not be almost unique but it can border on being}

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE