wip bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
I'v never made a woodlore clone before as never really liked the look of them but recently thought would give one a go in 3mm o1.
have ordered some 4mm as well and will update as i go. the sheaths a bit of a prototype to see how it fits as may need to adjust the template a little?

sheathwood2.JPG

Reactions: brancho and cascare

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Interesting to see where this goes. Are you putting a trad Scandi grind on it? The sheath is peachy, I like that a lot.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, traditional scandi was the plan.
i have tried a single bevel (chisel grind) on a knife before, to be honest i didnt really find much if any practical benefit to it, i could do the same with a traditional scandi and much more.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, not sure yet on the handle material, would like some nice stabilised wood but seems hard to find what i like.
heat treated today with multiple ascending heat cycling finished with a double quench. tempering now

forge1.JPG forge3.JPG forge2.JPG

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Yeah, that makes good sense. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress. I'm picturing it with dyed tiger stripe maple to match the sheath. It'll be interesting to see what you choose.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, not sure what i'll use for the scales, at the moment all i have is micarta. seems to be a shortage of stabilised wood as cant find any that i like.
one chap i used to get it from has been seriously ill for a while, brisa doesnt have much, and English hand made knives has little in stock

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
To be honest, there's nothing wrong with micarta. Comes in all sorts of colours and materials; OK, it's not a natural material but it does the job very well and, in your hands, looks very attractive.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
What sort of stuff are you interested in? I might have something in my personal stash. All sourced from either WSSI or my own curly redwood treated by K&G.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
What sort of stuff are you interested in? I might have something in my personal stash. All sourced from either WSSI or my own curly redwood treated by K&G.
thanks. i keep looking but just cant find anything i like the look of,

well... not strictly true... i have seen a few bits i did like but £50-£70 plus shipping

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
So I am home now and looking at my stash...

What have you been looking at? Those prices are eye watering!

These are some of the bits I was thinking of.
Black Ash Burl, natural box elder burl, dyed box elder to look like buckeye burl, cross cut golden spalted maple.
IMG_6460 - Copy by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Some of the curly red wood is stunning, but it isn't all nicely sanded and polished square.
IMG_2566 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Some of my wood stash....

IMG_2564 by Last Scratch, on Flickr

Last edited:
Reactions: Samon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE