Look what I've just been given.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
20181013-142620.jpg

20181013-142657.jpg

20181013-144609.jpg

Unfortunately, the tip of the large knife looks like this....
20181013-142715.jpg

Does anyone know where in Scandinavia they come from? Maker perhaps?

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Oh, those are rather nice. Look like great tools. I'm not jealous, not at all. You could try rust converter on it? Then polish it up with something like autosol?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nice!
Finnish. Maybe Mäkipelkola?
I always mentally connect these knives with the Finnish gypsies. I know this is wrong, but that is where I used to see them being displayed, as a part of the ethnic costume there guys wore.

I would just remove the rust using normal rust removal ( phosforic acid) then clean everything.
After a good dry I would use leather polish on the leather, a furniture polish on the wood and a bit of oil on the blades.

Personally I would not polish the brass horses heads. These knives are old, do not try to make them new. Patina.
Preserve.
Also, I would not personally sharpen or use them.

If you like to use knives like this, you can buy modern ones!
These can be made maybe 60-80 years ago, but most likely not during WW2, as brass was a restricted material and leather in short supply.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Btw, if you look closely, do you see any enscratched writing on the blades?

That decal, is it a stylised lion?

If it is, compare to the Finnish national heraldic lion ( search online) .

Reactions: Sundowner

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sundowner, you must have horse shoes in your pocket.
I would do absolutely nothing to them until I was 100% positive of their provenance.
Then maybe clean but not to look factory-fresh. Their value could be lost entirely with a total polish.

Reactions: Janne and Sundowner

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Thanks all for your replies. I'm not going to do anything in a hurry!! I let my neighbour freshen up the sheath and look at the difference after 2 minutes..
20181013_165121.jpg

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Nice!
Finnish. Maybe Mäkipelkola?
I always mentally connect these knives with the Finnish gypsies. I know this is wrong, but that is where I used to see them being displayed, as a part of the ethnic costume there guys wore.

I would just remove the rust using normal rust removal ( phosforic acid) then clean everything.
After a good dry I would use leather polish on the leather, a furniture polish on the wood and a bit of oil on the blades.

Personally I would not polish the brass horses heads. These knives are old, do not try to make them new. Patina.
Preserve.
Also, I would not personally sharpen or use them.

If you like to use knives like this, you can buy modern ones!
These can be made maybe 60-80 years ago, but most likely not during WW2, as brass was a restricted material and leather in short supply.

Janne, Mäkipelkola seems to be the one. Might be worth it getting in touch with them

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Remove the rust, stop new one. Sharpening will remove the patina.

Most Finnish knife makers were small workshops, family businesses or one man bands.

I have a weak memory that it or was ( more likely) a small factory.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Checked it, probably made between 1940 and 1960 as leather and brass were hard to come by before that time. Apparently they used birch bark for sheath before 1940

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The reason for two knifes is this:
The larger one is developed to chop branches.
In Swedish we call them ‘huggare’ which means ‘chopper’
The small one is a general purpose knife.

The simple reason guys did not carry an ax is the weight, and the technique we used ( I still use) to make a fire.
The lazy man’s technique.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Checked it, probably made between 1940 and 1960 as leather and brass were hard to come by before that time. Apparently they used birch bark for sheath before 1940
No, brass and leather were available, except during WW2.
Brass was used for cartridge cases, leather for boots and horse stuff.
Birch bark was used by the very poor, for many things, instead of leather, for centuries.
In Sweden, many poor country folk made own knives in the past.
Steel from discarded barell hoops, birch wood and bark from the forest.
Leather had to be bought in, so used only for essentials, like Sunday boots and some horse equipment where wood, roots or bark could not be used.
No ornaments.

I guess it was the same in Finland, but for longer as they were poorer.

The ‘iconic’ classic knives made in Mora are designed after the ‘poor farmers’ knife, but made by superior materials, at an affordable price.
The birch handle was painted red so it eas more visible.
The sheats were made from a pressed fibre material as this was cheaper than leather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE