Pure wool army greatcoat? Which one's the best??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Winters near and I don't actually have a proper coat.. lol

I've always just wore multiple layers but I'd like a proper coat.

Had a look online and in some old shops in the city and I've decided I'd like an army greatcoat. A pure wool heavy duty double breasted one! Long enough to keep out the cold and tough enough to survive me being a womble..

Any particular ones out there that I can actually search for? Cuz I'm getting a mixed bag of modern rubbish and antiques out my price range.

Looking to spend £60 at most as I'm skint/tight. Any help would be great!

If you have one I'd love to see it too

Cheers

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I have the old Swedish greatcoat. Fantastic quality wool and beautifully made. They are getting pricy now mind, I got mine about four years ago. Have just replaced all the buttons (most had fell off due to old cotton thread anyway) with some cool old brass ones.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
OT - I'd like one of these. A red one. But they're many bucks. https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/filson-mackinaw-cruiser-wool-jacket.html

Worth aiming for though, I think. Got a funny pocket round the back. Haven't got the accent to carry it off though. Kind of London/ west-mid-AtIantic. I would imagine almost any other accent would be just right though :)

Varusteleka have a nice pea coat and they have a wool Gorka of their own design. See if you can find a US Navy N1 jacket and a handsome wool beanie

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
The British Warm is a good investment, hard to find for sixty quid though.
Try Mr Bens in Glasgow they tend to have a eclectic mix of greatcoats mounted riding capes and pea coats.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I got a soviet bulgarian double breasted greatcoat, knee length, i modified mine a bit as it was a bit tight at the back and cut off all the red to make it more of a low profile camping/hunting coat. Very warm, well made, good quality for the price I paid. Rough n tough stuff. Linen or cotton lining. About 30 quid all in. Its actually a very nice garment.

I also got a single breasted british household guards coat, now this is a very, very nice garment. The wool is of outstanding quality, mid calf height length, the cut is very nice, shows off your figure very well haha has a synthetic lining though which i dont really like but its very nice either way.
It had no price on it at the shop so i made them give me a price on it, i then managed to knock a few quid off and get some extra buttons. When i get home i unstrapped it off my bag and tried it on again, i found the price tag in the sleeve. Saved my self a good few quid on it let me tell ya haha 95 quid on pricetag

7c84ed15ab884bf4b571a5aa18f620c0.jpg
33a3b2633d6eac7bf40ca1303c5e9f06.jpg
d2f563df35ea13d44412347e1ab3d188.jpg
0755754411cefaaadf1cf743b2fb316c.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've worn those grey british offerings pictured above in the past - to be honest, i wouldn't wish to out of choice! They are of very good quality, and certainly very warm too, but very heavy, and really restrict your movement - you can feel a little claustrophobic inside them. That said, i suppose worn casually you wouldn't button them fully up. Making sure you try various on and get them sized properly is a must. The mention above regarding soaking up the rain is true - they get unbelievably heavy in the wet (albeit retain their warmth as one might expect)!

fielder1963

Aug 29, 2013
Shropshire
OT - I'd like one of these. A red one. But they're many bucks. https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/filson-mackinaw-cruiser-wool-jacket.html

Worth aiming for though, I think. Got a funny pocket round the back. Haven't got the accent to carry it off though. Kind of London/ west-mid-AtIantic. I would imagine almost any other accent would be just right though :)

Varusteleka have a nice pea coat and they have a wool Gorka of their own design. See if you can find a US Navy N1 jacket and a handsome wool beanie

I've got a charcoal grey / black one, more UK rather than lumberjack colour. I really like it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Like others, I've had the pleasure of wearing these for ceremonial duties as well as for a few years when younger on the bike through a few British winters. Yes it'll get heavy when it rains and it can be a bit restrictive, (If you think ventile gets stiff when wet - you have a treat in store) but I've never been cold in one.
Funnily enough I keep thinking about getting another - though these days it'll probably be two or three that I can sew together to fit my more ample figure!

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
We bought our son an Austrian army one off eBay, didn’t pay that much.
There were quite a few RAF ones, which will be the same spec as the Army, just blue.

Sent using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE