Fjällräven or Swazi smock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oats-1983

Sep 23, 2017
N.Ireland
Hi there currently trying to decide between the Fjällräven no8 smock or the Swazi Aegis Kagoule. I know both are completely different but if you had an option what one would you choose? Will be used for stalking and general mountain duties.

Many thanks
Chris.

Reactions: BJJJ

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have not tried that particular Fjällräven anorak, or any of the Swazi products, but the fabric Fjällräven uses is not 100% silent.
I assume you want it to be silent if you want to stalk?

It gets a little bit better after a waxing though.
I have the Greenland jackets since decades. Very comfortable, unbreakable. Superb value.

Oats-1983

Sep 23, 2017
N.Ireland
Thanks for the reply. I currently have a number of Fjällräven trousers and know that once worn in and waxed noise shouldn’t be too bad. But I understand what you are saying about the G1000 material.

I have not tried that particular Fjällräven anorak, or any of the Swazi products, but the fabric Fjällräven uses is not 100% silent.
I assume you want it to be silent if you want to stalk?

It gets a little bit better after a waxing though.
I have the Greenland jackets since decades. Very comfortable, unbreakable. Superb value.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I think they make a more silent fabric, but unsure on which clithes they use it on.

I used to hunt in Sweden, the Greenland jacket was what I wore, and the noise was sometimes a bit irritating.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i don't have the no8 smock but a singi jacket (same material). i pretty much live in it. The G1000 fabric is pretty quiet and hardwearing but not totally waterproof unless you keep the waxing on it quite thick. Saying that, mine is 4 years old and has a lovely patina now and is dry in anything but really intense rain. I think the Swazi are supposed to be more waterproof but a lot warmer.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have an Anorak 8. I will send you a small cartoon that describes it well. I can’t post it here, it has a bad word.

Generally the coat is not particularly warm or waterproof. I think it was designed for snow blizzards and not the British weather. You will however look absolutely fantastic wearing it, I know I do. :encourage:

Reactions: Macaroon

Oats-1983

Sep 23, 2017
N.Ireland
Fully appreciate the cartoon and understand the reasoning. Still completely undecided. Unfortunately will be buying blind as no where to try on this side of the water.

I have an Anorak 8. I will send you a small cartoon that describes it well. I can’t post it here, it has a bad word.

Generally the coat is not particularly warm or waterproof. I think it was designed for snow blizzards and not the British weather. You will however look absolutely fantastic wearing it, I know I do. :encourage:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If you need any pics of the 8 let me know. It has some nice features.

I originally bought one from here in very good condition. It had quite dark leather zip pulls. First adventure out in the rain and it looked like I’d wrapped it up with wet tea bags, the stain leached right through the fabric. I contacted Fjallraven UK. They were pretty good and agreed to change it despite me being unable to provide proof of purchase. The replacement arrived and I looked it over, pulled a hood string and it just slid out of the hood, hadn’t been sewn in. For a £350+ garment, I wasn’t too impressed.

Now it’s been repaired, it’s a very nice coat, just doesn’t do what it looks like it ought to do.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They are ’water protecting’ for a short time, mine stopped being that within one week in the mountains of Sweden.

You need to use the Greenland wax. As I was, is and always will be lazy, I just put on a thick binliner. I do not apply the wax more than once every few years now when I do not hunt.
Wind protecting - yes, but not wind proof.

It breathes nicely, I like that. My Barbours do not breathe, and I get really sweaty.

All Fjällräven stuff is developed in Scandiholligania. Colder, dryer, windier

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Disregarding the manufacturer, I think you have two choices.
A parka ( over the head dressing) or a jacket ( front zip or buttons)

I find a jacket more useful, as i think it is easier to dress and undress, and easiet to regulate the body temp.

The negative is that you are screw&d if the zip breaks. Buttons I like, but have not seen any leasure wear with buttons since Noah got drunk.

The only parka I ever wore was the white snow camo overdress I had to wear. Hated it, to be frank. We all did. So we modified them.

Oats-1983

Sep 23, 2017
N.Ireland
I generally run quite cold and like the idea of the smock. The way I see it is am minimising a potential point for water ingress. Decisions decisions.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Our main problem, which you hopefully will never encounter, was that we needed to have a ’no 2’ rapidly due to eating badly underhydrated and undercooked freeze dried food.
It takes longer to remove a parka.

On the plus side, the large breast pocket seems useful. Not so much though if you carry a backpack with the horisontal strap between the shoulder straps.

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
I have the anorak No 8 and love it. Well waxed in appropriate places I have no issue with water proofness and I’m in north Scotland so it rains a bit and blows a hoolie! If need be I wear a Montane extreme smock underneath and then I’m toastie. I considered the Swazi also, but am fed up with waterproof membranes failing after a few years. I can at least reproof the No 8. There’s also the Hilltrek Ventile smock to consider?

I can’t speak for Swazi but Fjallraven uk customer services were fantastic towards me. My original No 8 had some stitching fail that I felt was a manufacturer defect. It went back to the scumbag shop I purchased it from and they messed me around for months before going into liquidation, still with my top. Explained the problem to Fjallraven and they sent me a new Anorak , no questions asked.

Reactions: Billy-o and Nice65

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I currently have a Swazi Aegis cagoule - the shorter one rather than the one that makes me feel like Friar Tuck - and have had one of the Fjallraven Numbers jackets in the past.

Of the two, I would say that Swazi ticks more boxes for me than the Fjallraven. Its weight, 'weatherproofness', sizing and practical features are simply better than the cited Scandinavian alternative. I have not used it for stalking but understand that it was designed with that in mind; I have used it when walking up and over hills and mountains, usually on multi-day outings and wearing a large, loaded rucksack in all sorts of weather conditions, as well as in the woods, doing the bushcrafty thang. This has given me an appreciation of the Aegis fabric which does a very good job of keeping out the rain and wind while affording an impressive level of fabled 'breathability'; I think that this last quality is also a function of the cut of the garment, which allows good circulation of air when moving around. The Swazi will not win in terms of style but I believe that it has a distinct edge if you're looking for a practical, usable top.

I hope that this helps you with your decision. If you have any further questions, do p.m. me and I'll see if I can help.

Richard

Oats-1983

Sep 23, 2017
N.Ireland
Thanks for the reply’s folks and thanks for the honest advice.

I currently have a Swazi Aegis cagoule - the shorter one rather than the one that makes me feel like Friar Tuck - and have had one of the Fjallraven Numbers jackets in the past. Ricky if you don’t mind me asking. What’s the sizing of the Swazi Cagoule like?

Of the two, I would say that Swazi ticks more boxes for me than the Fjallraven. Its weight, 'weatherproofness', sizing and practical features are simply better than the cited Scandinavian alternative. I have not used it for stalking but understand that it was designed with that in mind; I have used it when walking up and over hills and mountains, usually on multi-day outings and wearing a large, loaded rucksack in all sorts of weather conditions, as well as in the woods, doing the bushcrafty thang. This has given me an appreciation of the Aegis fabric which does a very good job of keeping out the rain and wind while affording an impressive level of fabled 'breathability'; I think that this last quality is also a function of the cut of the garment, which allows good circulation of air when moving around. The Swazi will not win in terms of style but I believe that it has a distinct edge if you're looking for a practical, usable top.

I hope that this helps you with your decision. If you have any further questions, do p.m. me and I'll see if I can help.

Richard
hanks
I currently have a Swazi Aegis cagoule - the shorter one rather than the one that makes me feel like Friar Tuck - and have had one of the Fjallraven Numbers jackets in the past.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE