Head Torches - useful and cheap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just a heads up for the British brand Alpkit. They've got a whole new set of head torches in stock. There's ones from 85 lumens to 550 lumens bright.

I'm not sure what to get. Looking for a winter dog walking / jogging light that's good for camping duties too. There's a good one with up to 240 lumens and reactive lighting for £19. Light too at around 100g. Any good? What are they like as a brand and actually in use too?

Is there any other brand close in specification and price? Do you get what you pay for or are they punching above their weight? Anyone taken the plunge and happy with their choice?

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Very happy with the Poundland Head Torches, complete with batteries at - you guessed it £1

Good enough, for dog walking, night hiking, map reading and cheap enough to lose, smash or throw away when the batteries go flat (or you could always put in 3x new AAA batteries).

Reactions: Nomad64 and Bishop

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Alpkit aren’t a brand, they’re a clever reseller. Toro and Kraku stoves were available on Aliexpress as the Fire Maple brand much cheaper until the Chinese upped they’re prices to match. I won’t argue they’re not a good company to deal with, but don’t for a minute think any of their list is anything to do with UK production, it’s almost all Chinese. That said, they do their research and sell on decent gear.

I’ve had three or four Gamma headtorches from them, each has the lugs break off the battery pack during battery change. While they were happy to send out a new battery case, it was a faff to fit it, and a real problem when out for the night and the light fails.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Very little equipment is actually made in the UK these days, in any field, and what is is bloody expensive. Check out the Jottnar brand as an example. Alpkit rebadge a few things but most of their stuff is their own design, built abroad so normal people can afford it. I have 3 Alpkit headtorches, have had them for years, have never broken anything on any of them. I guess I just pay attention and am careful.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Changed over to unbranded USB rechargeable headlamp ( £7 ) and took a gamble on 5W solar charger ( £9 ). It is not an ideal combo as I'm trying to keep my cell-phone charged with it as well so on overcast days it's a big ask for the little panel. On the flipside have not needed to buy expensive Alkaline AAA batteries for the last six months.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Brand - Unique design, sign, symbol, words, or a combination of these, employed in creating an image that identifies a product and differentiates it from its competitors = the definition from the business dictionary.

Just thought I would point out that Alpkit might not manufacture but they're still a brand They get their designs made for them in China like most brands probably do. Are petzl made in grenoble these days? Never owned one but between me and my partner we've owned a few brands of head torches from petzl to primus. Petzl ime don't seem to be reliable for long with many models. So at £19 for a 240 lumens torch if it lasts as long as some of our petzl torches costing a lot more we'd be happy. Not pound land cheap but good enough for me.

Anyway I was in their shop today and picked one up. Probably try it out on dog walking duties tomorrow night I've got an evening off after todays walk. Our puppy is too tired to go out (10 month old border terrier, can walk far but only one longish walk until she's older).

Whatever the durability it certainly looks a better torch than my current primus That's a narrow beam long distance burner that's great for spotting your way at speed or picking the pitch on a climb not for camping or easier night walking

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE