Planning Norwegian Ski Trip (with 6 year old)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
My interest in brusletto and oyo knives has passed.

Are you sure? Here's my Brusletto Kystkniven (Coast knife):

brusletto_kystkniven.jpg

Reactions: Janne

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Yes, I heard there's a government involvement in alcohol sales but can't remember what it was. It makes alcohol very expensive. Part of a way to try and reduce alcohol intake levels in the population I heard.

How much does soft drinks cost? UK they're often more expensive.

The tax on alcohol is more of a "luxury tax" than a way to make us drink less.

Everything in the pub/bar is expensive. In the stores it's cheaper of course but still expensive compared to UK as far as I recall.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Are you sure? Here's my Brusletto Kystkniven (Coast knife):

brusletto_kystkniven.jpg
Of course not but if I say it enough times it might become true :)

I would love to visit if I could get a good knife at reasonable prices by buying direct from factory. However getting there from the ski resort and getting a pass from the family's activities are probably the only way I can avoid the temptation. Nice knife though.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Tell wife you need something locally made to remember that wonderful skiing holliday you had with them.

Soft drinks, about 35 kroner at the petrol station?

It does not matter what the cost is, a holliday is holliday, correct?
I never buy just ine item, so I do not recall exactly the prices, but food is more expensive there than here. And here is more expensive than in UK.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
For soft drinks, your child needs to try Äventyrs Brus.
And Villa brus.
Mozell too if you ate in the healthy stuff. :)
Contains apple juice.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Eat and drink only Norwegian and Swedish stuff there.
And, please, please, do not buy any bottled water!

The tap water in Norway is pure. Best tap water in the world. Even better than the Swedish water. They even bottle it in fancy-schmansy bottles, call it Voss and export it!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't think I buy bottled water in most of Europe. Gone are the days when you get told to brush your teeth isn't bottled water on a Spanish holiday. If Norway can't supply safe tap water then nobody can IMHO.

Yes, this is a holiday but usually expense is kept in check. This is our first holiday where we're ignoring money and cost of things. This is almost completely about money no object holiday experience. Within reason of course. No thousand pound bottles of champagne but even if a beer cost the equivalent of £20 so be it.

We're going at the time of year when the price goes up by 50% straight away. We'll probably book a private ski lesson out there for the family too. Won't be cheap with kit hire and passes. Food is half board but lunches out not a problem. Try local definitely.

Local produce for my partner would be a nice, handmade woolly hat not a nice looking knife. Both are craft products so what's the difference right?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Our Swedish work visits always started with a very early flight into an out of town airport. Flying low over the trees landing you realise how poor the UK is for proper woodland. Natural woodland with bogland and lakes in among them. It looked really nice.

Then the drive across country. A totally different feel than the UK and a great experience.

This holiday starts with a train to b Edinburgh then flight and another train to Geilo. Longest train journey our soon to be 6 year old will have been on. Might be issues there. Unless the sights are really that good.

First time we've been to somewhere with a proper winter too. Well my partner had nearly 2 years in Eastern Europe so it's not really new for her. It is for me and our son. Add on skiing and it's an adventure.

One thing I got asked, is it better to n learn snowboarding or skiing? We have a week and never been skiing. We've all heard skiing is harder to pick up quickly so perhaps snowboarding is the best option for us all. What's your views?

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Grew up with skis, both cross country and tiny trick skis made of plastic - great days! I would recommend concentrating on skis (cross country and slalom) then trying snowboard as a contrast. But as I said above: If the snow is packed the falls are quite hard when snowboarding but you'll live.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I grew up on skis and skates, never done snow boarding.

It is not easy to learn as an adult, and we fall harder. Do not worry though, the doctors in ski resorts are well practiced in taking care of broken bones and concussions!

If you find yourself not liking the downhill sports, try cross country skiing.
It is not ‘easy’ either, but more pleasureble, you observe nature, the landscape, and so on.
And the falls do not hurt.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
.....but even if a beer cost the equivalent of £20 so be it...

Top tip: stock up on beer/wine from the duty free when you arrive (just follow everyone else when you get off the plane) still roughly UK prices.

Otherwise it's about £12+ a half litre in bars or about £4 a can In the supermarket.

I know it's a skiing holiday not a booze up, but a beer at the end of a hard day on the snow is a must aye.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
He and wife do not drink much. He will be fine.

But I do think he should try to drink local sodas, not the international stuff.
Solo is nice too. Like a tastier, more natural, orange soda.

I had my first Coke in -73 or 74. I was a teenager. Had it together with my first ever Hamburger.
Before that I only had Swedish and Norwegian sodas and Hot Dogs.

You need to try the various Hot Dogs.
Ostepolse, Baconpolse. Delicious.

Ask me what my first meal is once I go through customs in Gardemoen, after around 19 hours of travelling?
(I start in Cayman with a Beef Patty and two Red Stripes.
Ms Peta-Gay at Hungry Horse knows what I like :) )

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Vestlenning, what do you think they deserve to eat and drink?
The northern Norwegian fine Cuisine is somewhat different from your southern area.

Whale is a must. Steak, carpaccio, smoked.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Slowly kitting up now. Left it for a bit so I don't peak in my excitement too early. I realised that was too late I'm already excited!

So didriksons ski jacket, salopettes and a furry hat with flaps for ears, back of the neck and over the top of the eyes (two poppers hold it back but undo them it sticks straight out like a parka hood? The jacket has a hood but this hat goes under the chin and basically is like a parka snorkel hood. Very warm looking.

Are didrikson a good make? No snow skirt on the jacket or pass pocket on the sleeve. Sold as ski jacket though.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I only know Didrikson from the old, had some heavy duty work clothes made by them.
Should be fully OK.

I checked out their site, they still seem to make 'proper' clothes too.

Not made for/by them, but the 'puffer jacket' is what we use a lot in the Arctic. Jacket and vest, same design.
Fabulous!

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Excellent stuff!

Now some warm boots for them. Get them well oversize, so there is plenty of space for thick socks and still wiggling space for those wiggly pigglies!

Remember though, some things you can buy locally there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE