Milk alternative for when there's no fridge...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greenbeard

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2018
North yorkshire
My better half was moaning about cows milk so i thought I'd try out a new milk alternative from Sweden :), it's made from oats, water and sea salt. Sounds horrible I know, but you have to trust me on this one, it's Nice! Best part is that it doesn't need refrigeration until it's opened. So will be replacing milk on my adventures with the missus.

20180909_121100.jpg
20180909_121045.jpg
20180909_121118.jpg
When you've finished with the carton cut along the marked line and make into a plant pot for herbs, a nice touch I thought.
20180909_121332.jpg
Heres the drink in question
20180909_121418.jpg
Goes great in coffee as well!

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nut milks ( nut suspentions?) are super on cereal. Decent in cooking.

Due to severe milk sugar intolerance, I have been using various for years.
A warning: the sweetened ones contain perverse amounts of sugar, and all contain quite a bit of fat.

Try all nut varieties for which one you and your family prefer.

Edit: these nut milks last about the same as UHT milk when opened and kept outside the fridge.

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
"Doesn't need refridgeration until opened" you mean like good old longlife cow milk?

I keep 500ml cartons of longlife in my workshop and car for when i don't want/have fresh milk. You can get this size in full flavour, semi flavour and white water varieties. You can also get small sachets of longlife moo juice tgat are enough for a small bowl of cereal.

I'll stick to good old bovine lactations myself, save the nut juice for vegans and the intlorerant

Reactions: Hbc and Sundowner

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Nut juice. Hahahaha!

Some of them are quite tasty in fact. Oats, cashew, macadamia.
Soy is weird. Coconut even worse.
My tastebuds are not like yours of course!

Wife loves Soy juice, son prefers the coconut product.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greenbeard

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I haven't been able to drink ordinary milk since my early twenties. I manage a little hard cheddar, but on the whole dairy is just a no.

In the past, cows 'dried up' in Winter. They stopped lactating, and medieval folks (who could afford it) used Almond milk. It's very simple to make, and the residual nut meal is still tasty and edible, so no waste.
The nuts keep well too, so no fuss or bother.
The recent surge in interest in alternative milks has made things very simple for me :) I admit I like the soya cream and milks for cooking, and the little cartons are awfully handy, and they do keep very well indeed without refrigeration.

If you make your own almond milk it doesn't need any sweetening. My Grandmother couldn't drink much milk either, and she made almond milk, so at least I knew how to do it in the pre-internet days.

We had a thread on this topic a long while ago. I'll see if I can find it.

M

Reactions: Greenbeard

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Forty years ago I have up milk in tea and coffee because it was such a pain to transport and keep when travelling and camping. I missed it for about a month but after that I found I much preferred milkless tea and coffee. Now I can't stand milky drinks.

Reactions: Janne

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Forty years ago I have up milk in tea and coffee because it was such a pain to transport and keep when travelling and camping. I missed it for about a month but after that I found I much preferred milkless tea and coffee. Now I can't stand milky drinks.

I had a virus a few years ago and at the time even the thought of milk made me feel sick. Since then I've never been able to get back into it at all. I used to drink really milky coffee but now I love it black. It makes life a lot easier though and I don't miss it at all now.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Is there not a saying - "Once you try black, you never go back"?
:)

I never was into adding milk into tea and coffee, but did sweeten it with sugar. Stopped with that when I started my uni degree.

I like though to take the 'acid edge' off my coffee with a tiny amount of 'nut juice' ( love that expression!).
Maybe soup spoon of it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I can buy locally roasted coffee beans, they are still warm sometimes!
You owe it to yourself to buy the very best that you can. Give yourself a well-earned treat!
That, I will drink black, expecting the carbs from other things.

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway

Not just anecdotal, a lot of things is just a matter of habit ...

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
Is there not a saying - "Once you try black, you never go back"?

Grandma thought me to drink coffee. She started adding a little coffee to my milk when I was four, then more coffee/less milk as time went by until all black a few years later. As an adult I use milk once in a while or "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" (Café con leche etc) but black is the rule.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have heard it said that "Milk is a baby food - and that which folk drink is the baby food of an alien species - and therefor not a suitable drink for human adults"!
As to putting it in a decent coffee - pure insult to the coffee!
Yogurt and similar are equally evil, the only decent use for dairy is in the making of good cheeses ... and I am not talking "Mild Cheddar" or "Baby Bell" here (not to mention any pre-sliced plastic faux cheeses) - real hard "bite you back" Cheddar, Stilton, Sage Derby and other Real Cheeses only!
Which - if you avoid eating every crumb at the first sitting - need careful storage in the field and can be as hard to take on camp as milk is!:)

Reactions: Janne and JohnC

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

I did exactly the same when backpacking as a teenager (sugar the same time). However, before doing so I did once make a meal of the curd chees that had developed in my milk container - desperate times :) (I never could get the smell out of that Nalgene bottle :( )

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I'm with you all the way on this one!!! But I will, once or twice a year, have a full glass of fully charged milk!! My body seems to tell me when, or is it the teeth?

Traditionally Cree and all other 1st nations people stopped drinking milk as soon as they were no longer drinking their mothers milk. Many of us won't drink it even now. When we worked with europeans they have a lot of trouble with milk on trips. I remember one pair bring many cartons of milk for a long winter trip. They didn't understand that milk don't work well when it freezes at -30c.

Reactions: Greg

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I can happily drink tea and coffee with or without milk. Indeed, I find a cup of Earl Grey or Darjeeling is considerably better without milk. But I do enjoy a strong cup of Yorkshire tea with a splash of milk. When I'm out camping, I have recently taken to using these little pyramid shaped cartons of milk that hold just enough for a cuppa cha. You can get them in the supermakets and cost about 70p for a pack of five. Yes, they're a bit pricey for what they are, but very convenient for camping and taste much better than milk powder!

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
A milk that does not need to be refrigerated till opened?
That sounds like good old UHT milk to me. And it will usually last quite a time after being opened, even without refrigeration.
I bring UHT to work, for my breakfasts. And it can sit on my desk for a week after being opened and be fine.
I got used to the taste pretty quickly. And doing porridge, you are heating the milk amyway, so you won't notice anyway.

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
I don't think they make it any more, but I used to think St. Ivel's Five Pints was okay. For my coffee when I'm out, condensed milk is an okay solution.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE