SF Sabre 45 front molle/pocket mod, anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Quick scan of the forum and there are a few old threads about but most are now broken.

So I am looking to remove the useless (for me) loops from the front of my SF and get something on there like another pocket and or a molle panel maybe?

I would like to have my FAK on the outside of my bag along with other stuff like tool pouch, fishing kit and water bottle. I am happy to keep these dry with a rain cover should it be necessary.

I am hoping someone can point me in the way of the bits I would need to carry out such a mod or any experience in doing so. Whilst I am OK with a needle n thread its something I would prefer done on a machine so was thinking take the bits to a local sewing and alts place or see if my dear old mar could run it through her machine.

Advice and or experience on all the above appreciated.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think I'd be inclined to sell the Sabre and buy a Predator if that's what you need. I have the Predator 30 (I use it more as a daysack) which has Molle on the sides as well as the front and it's very versatile. The 45 has the zips on the sides so you can only really fit the Karrimor side pockets whereas I have much cheaper (but similar) side pockets on the 30. I also have an SF pouch mounted on the front that usually has my fire-starting kit in. By the time you've paid for someone to sew it up and bought the bits and pieces I doubt there'd be a huge difference in cost as long as you get a decent price (or swap) for your Sabre.

Just a thought :)

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I have generally found it to be a PITA to sew stuff (with a machine) onto a ready made bag. For best results, most modifiers I think would disassemble the bag enough to the mods and then reassemble it.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I think I'd be inclined to sell the Sabre and buy a Predator if that's what you need. I have the Predator 30 (I use it more as a daysack) which has Molle on the sides as well as the front and it's very versatile. The 45 has the zips on the sides so you can only really fit the Karrimor side pockets whereas I have much cheaper (but similar) side pockets on the 30. I also have an SF pouch mounted on the front that usually has my fire-starting kit in. By the time you've paid for someone to sew it up and bought the bits and pieces I doubt there'd be a huge difference in cost as long as you get a decent price (or swap) for your Sabre.

Just a thought :)

Thanks, did consider that but as SCOMAN says below they Sabre is reported to be more comfortable and this pack is molded to me now :) Although I am yet to try one my self..

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I found the Sabre to be far more comfortable than the Predator. I can't think of an easy solution to putting Molle on the front but Karrimor SF do a Molle side panel. I'd add a Condor rip away first aid pouch to that.

https://www.kitshoponline.co.uk/predator-molle-panel-plce-single/

I had considered using the molle side panel but i really want to keep both of my side pockets. Wonder if it can be added to the front without additional zips? But using the other side pocket zips. May just end up flopping around though :(

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have generally found it to be a PITA to sew stuff (with a machine) onto a ready made bag. For best results, most modifiers I think would disassemble the bag enough to the mods and then reassemble it.

You would know, your stuffs stunning.

I imagine the additional zips would be easier than having to sew on a panel due to the horizontal stitching needed?

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
This might work (but then again might be a bit loose)

Make a MOLLE panel up with zips to match the pouch edge zip on the side of the pouch away from your body.
So you basically join the pouches with a MOLLE panel.
The pouch zip closest to the body and the top side release buckles will support the pouches.
You then run the vertical webbing that holds the lid closed up through the new MOLLE panel to add extra support and keep it from flopping about.

I can send you a PLCE zip if you would like to try this.

Reactions: tiger stacker

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
This might work (but then again might be a bit loose)

Make a MOLLE panel up with zips to match the pouch edge zip on the side of the pouch away from your body.
So you basically join the pouches with a MOLLE panel.
The pouch zip closest to the body and the top side release buckles will support the pouches.
You then run the vertical webbing that holds the lid closed up through the new MOLLE panel to add extra support and keep it from flopping about.

I can send you a PLCE zip if you would like to try this.

Actually there is a more secure way. Make a MOLLE panel with a zip to connect to the outer bag zips and a zip to connect the pouch to. So you zip the panel on first and then zip the pouch to the panel.
This would not cost to much to make if you would like me to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Paulm

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Actually there is a more secure way. Make a MOLLE panel with a zip to connect to the outer bag zips and a zip to connect the pouch to. So you zip the panel on first and then zip the pouch to the panel.
This would not cost to much to make if you would like me to check it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good thinking ! :)

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Bit difficult to explain, this is the back of my idea, the mesh would be the panel. The mesh side would have two zip parts on each side, one would attach to the bag and the pouch would then attach to the other.

Untitled by Leaky5, on Flickr

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I got a side pocket double omni sewn onto my day sack by a cobbler, he made a great job of it. Only down side is well none so far :)

Why not ask locally and see if they can do the same.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Bit difficult to explain, this is the back of my idea, the mesh would be the panel. The mesh side would have two zip parts on each side, one would attach to the bag and the pouch would then attach to the other.

Plan so sunning you could brush your teeth with it! PM Sent!

Edit: As you say no need for any modifications. Brilliant.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
He is the idea we finally decided on, will have to wait a week to see if it fits the bag OK.

The long straps should be inline with the pouch compression straps and one side of the side release buckle will go onto the compression straps.
The three shorter pieces of webbing on each side are there to run the vertical straps on the bag through.

Zipped pocket on the rear

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
That looks a great idea, and something that would probably adapt to a fairly wide range of large daysacks. I'll be very interested to see it in operation! I did wonder whether the top part of the panel above the highest compression strap fittings might be a little too 'floppy' to be usable with pouches, but i would imagine the vertical hood straps will keep it cinched in place.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Arrived today and its exactly what I was after.

Now these are only rough shots with things just thrown on. The pack is lumpy filled mostly with coats, sleeping bags n jackets! :)

Leaky5`s work is stitch perfect and the finish is professional. Amazing how close a fit it is on just photos and a few measurements being exchanged.

The FAK is just crabbed on but the fishing kit top right and the main pouch bottom is using molle attachments. Should you wish you can get a lot of tension horizontal straps and there is no movement on the panel at all. The top of the panel should be held fine by the lid straps but I may experiment with a light weight plastic insert to add rigidity. Although there is very little weight there so just being picky.

Jx00LKT.jpg

HltHvP2.jpg

More testing to follow and then I will get it out in the filed. Also testing my little fishing kit of recent so will try and get some shots of that up too. It was pretty cheap for the pouch and tackle boxes and they fit with mm to spare :)

(disclaimer, I am paying for this so impartial as one can be)

Reactions: Paulm

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Top notch! I reckon there is a market for a product like that, its probably a fairly universal fit...

Great thing is no sewing or mods :) It is a great bit of kit and once family stuff calms a little I will be out there doing a full review.

Cheers again Leaky and a bargain!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE