Artic kit questions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Gloves_and_Mitts.jpg

These are the glove / mitt combinations I used. The thin fleece liner that you can see on the right (£1 a pair from Decathlon) were constant companions and all the others were sized to fit over them.

Most of the time while working the liners were all I needed.

Reactions: RE8ELD0G

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
An Alcohol thermometer is a useful piece of equipment. Has to be Alcohol, as they only freeze way below -100C. -160 c or something?

I used to carry one of those round, plastic bodied ones we in Scandihooligania fix on the outside of the kitchen window, but I am not sure if you can find a good one in UK.
Those glass bodied long ones are better of course, but need to be protected well or they break.

Once at home, you can place it in your freezer so you know the 'real' temperature.

The thermometers supplied with the freezers I am not so sure about, the ones I own all show different temperature.

(I will not make those "Arctic threads" as it is better you ask specific question, I think. I do not want to bore you needlessly!
:) )

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I really like Waylands mittens and gloves. The best handwarmer at -20C may still be the burst of profanities
as you roll out of the tent or even step out the door.
Thermometers are depressing. It's either cold and the snow brushes off like sugar or it isn't.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Sorry, forgot the second question.

Pac_Boots.jpg

On all my trips I have taken two boot solutions and always been glad I had the choice when on the ground.

For temperatures above -10c I use a pair of Baffin Pac Boots. They are waterproof and were supplied with synthetic liners which were not much cop but I got some thick wool felt liners from over the pond that are great.

Mukluks.jpg

Below -10c I use these Mukluk type boots. Not even slightly waterproof but very breathable as a result.

I added extra felt insoles and they fit the same liners as the Pac boots so that means I can swap them out of either pair for drying. Essential practice in my opinion whatever you are wearing. ( I have liners for each and the light synthetic liners as a last resort. ( With a pair of Tyvek over boot covers the synthetic liners make quite good bivvi boots.) )

On all my trips I have had times when I needed to change from one type of boot to the other as conditions changed. I know it's a bit more to carry but in Arctic conditions you should always have spare / alternative clothing in case of falling through the ice or some similar emergency so having such interchangeable gear makes good sense.

Reactions: bopdude

Wayland

Hárbarðr
For a Brit it is exotic with inhumane temperatures!

This stage of my life, I prefer to immerse my borderline worn out body in 31C water...
Beer has to cold though!

I swelter in a British summer, this year has been hellish.

I'm much more comfortable on the rare occasions it drops below -10c here so proper Arctic temperatures are a joy to me.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
A few years a go [one of those years where we actually had a winter up here] my outside thermometer got down to the -20 tees, a week later it was -10, and meeting people on the morning dog walk they were commenting how cold it was. I could only think to my self 'do you not remember last week? it's only -10 now, it was colder last week!' My wife also thought I was mad for sleeping outside in the garden when it was snowing :)

Reactions: Bert and bopdude

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
OK so does anyone know if the brit army mukluks over boots are goretex/waterproof?
Or just canvas type material.
Was thinking if they are waterproof then just Canadian mukluks for all weather plus the brit army over boots of it starts to get slushy.
Save me a lot of pennies compared to buying a pair of pac boots as well.
I can always take my lowa mountain boots and berghaus gators if it warms up too much and get very wet.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Do you know what they are made of?
Wondering if it's worth trying to waterproof them with some silicone mix
Or just use my Berghaus yetis but they ain't completely waterproof either due to the velcro

Wayland

Hárbarðr
OK so does anyone know if the brit army mukluks over boots are goretex/waterproof?
Or just canvas type material.
Was thinking if they are waterproof then just Canadian mukluks for all weather plus the brit army over boots of it starts to get slushy.
Save me a lot of pennies compared to buying a pair of pac boots as well.
I can always take my lowa mountain boots and berghaus gators if it warms up too much and get very wet.

Consider the cost of your trip and the time you are taking off for it. Consider how miserable you could be for that time if your feet are painfully cold.

Now take a look at your toes and decide what each one of them is worth. I reckon at least £500 for my big toes going down to about £300 for my little ones but you may value them differently. ( Actually that still doesn't sound enough.)

If you think the saving is worth it compared to how miserably you could be at best, to how many toes you might lose to frost bite at worst, then I suggest you go for the cheapest option. Otherwise...

As for waterproofing, I've heard of people lining boots with poly bags at a pinch but as you will probably guess from what I've written above, I think it is a false economy.

Look after you feet and they will look after you.

Reactions: Janne

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Don't skimp on boots dude....the last thing to penny pinch on

Plus you will get more use out of Pac boots at home than mukluks

Also. Felt liners. Get felt liners.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Dry feet is the most crucial survival thing.

Even summer time. When walking on marshland, or in heavy rain, I used to put a plastic bag on each foot, over the socks.

This summer, with my new leightweight footwear, I had to do the same.
Not much risk though of getting wet footwear during winter in the temps we are talking about.

That is the reason the Felt overboots issued in Fenno Scandia are not water proof or resistant.
If they should get wet ( forgetting to shake off snow when entering a heated area) they dry very quickly.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Two things you spend most time in.....bed and boots

There's loads of areas you can save cash on though. Surplus outer wear is cheap and functional. Swedish snow smock for example can be had for a fiver vs snowsled ventile for £300

For mitts
I use Swedish (I think) surplus leather mitts. Dachshund (that German wool place sounds like dachshund lol) wool liner mitts and some bit goretex over mitts if needed
Warm as you like and perfectly functional for probably under £30

Trousers are Swedish surplus again. wool, warm, superbly hard wearing. Think I paid under £15 A pair
I wanna say they are m39 trousers but I forget

There's that lovely big Swedish Parker too. 90 something designation?

Sorry I can't seem to bring the names of things to mind right now lol. The lads will know

Reactions: bopdude

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE