Surplus parkas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madadam

May 1, 2013
Bristol Uk
All.
This has probably been discussed to death, but I would welcome your views.
I have been trying to work out the ultimate (surplus) parka for both foraging and possibly daily use.
I have 3 which I like for different reasons.
Long BW. German lined 80s parka. Like it due to the moleskin type material, but not a ECWS coat. (More early spring or late autumn).
Swedish M59 - like it as it is really warm and bullet proof canvas but heavy and not w/proof.
Swedish M90. Like it as it's warm and lightweight but liner is fixed and it looks like I've just stood up still in my sleeping bag and walked away.
Any recommendations accepted.
I've had a Serbian (genocide) one and also the grey lining Czech one before in the past. And I cannot afford a fishtail.
Look forward to some unique ideas so I can research the coat and maybe get something that isn't run of the mill.
Cheers

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Jul 24, 2017
somerset

Ever thought about one of these? desert NVD camo they take a liner, they work as an over garment as they do not have pockets of there own, also cheeky I know but I'm up for moving this on if your interested it comes with the over trousers.
I have made use of it,It works more like a wind breaker I guess you could proof it to hold out water but that as I'm sure you know will have a limited effect.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Or.......Swedish army officer coat, like your canvas parker I think but leather, heavy but nothing gets in! only down side there a bit hard to find in good order but for a heavy weight coat I think its near on unbeatable.

Reactions: R.Lewis

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I used the Swedish M59 in the army and didn't like it at all. Heavy, clumsy, too few pockets and not water resistant. With the lineron it was warm enought to sleep outside in Swedish november w.o a fire though, so if you want warmth it'd be an OK choice.
My fav is actually the UK M-95 windproof smock, which is an excellent piece of kit as long as you can live with the DPM pattern.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
I had a Dutch parka for many years, similar to the German, with a removable fleece lining. Not sure how easy they are to get hold of now days. Another option, which I have also got, is an Austrian M65, very easy to get hold of, and easy to mod so as to attach a US M65 jacket liner for cold weather.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The german Army sells used in often very good conditions a Goretex Parka for round about 30€.
It is called Nässeschutzjacke.
It is part of the Nässeschutzanzug.
You get it for example from Raeer in Hildesheim.

The Kälteschutzanzug with its Kälteschutzjacke belongs under there, but like in old army sleeping bags the fibres are broken when they sell it. So I prefere a civil fleece jacket under it.

If this should not be warm enough, a Snugpack or Carinthia Jacket surely would help. Carinthia Kälteschutz jackets are used by the Austrian and german army now a days, so far I am informed.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The m/1959 Vapenrock is a kind of jacket, not a parka.
Excellent quality, specially if you can find an unused one, but has zero water protection.
One added feature I loved was the flap you buttoned up between your legs. Less drafty. More than enough pockets if you carry a back pack.
Two lsrge in the front, two lsrge in the back, and one roomy on the inside.

Needs to be slightly oversized so you have space for a pullover or one of the classic Helly Hansen fleeces with a thumb hole.
Being cotton it does not insulate terribly well.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Or.......Swedish army officer coat, like your canvas parker I think but leather, heavy but nothing gets in! only down side there a bit hard to find in good order but for a heavy weight coat I think its near on unbeatable.

40514949452_03912ec294_c.jpg

Oh yes. I totally agree. Fantastic coat, heavy yet totally impregnable to anything. I get loads of compliments when I wear mine too, very stylish and unusual today. Got mine cheap as it had a badly faded arm, easy fix with dye and finished it's like new now.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Oh yes. I totally agree. Fantastic coat, heavy yet totally impregnable to anything. I get loads of compliments when I wear mine too, very stylish and unusual today. Got mine cheap as it had a badly faded arm, easy fix with dye and finished it's like new now.
It gets called my pimp or red baron coat, a lot of polish guy's like it! Not sure on the age of mine as I think they producer them from 1940-1960 mine has a blanket liner and bakilite buttons.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
There should be a stamp on the inside of the canvas fabric somewhere, with the year and manufacturer. Some had the M number printed too.

Those coats were meant to be worn by the soldiers during guard duty.
All you need is the clasdic sheepskin hat called ’får fittan’.
I can not translate as this is a children friendly site!

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
There should be a stamp on the inside of the canvas fabric somewhere, with the year and manufacturer. Some had the M number printed too.

Those coats were meant to be worn by the soldiers during guard duty.
All you need is the clasdic sheepskin hat called ’får fittan’.
I can not translate as this is a children friendly site!
Not canvas leather, mine just has the size number 1 don't know what that means size wise?

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I was lead to believe it's Horsehide and sheepskin collar. It certainly feels tough enough to be Horsehide. Wool lining and bakelite buttons on mine too dated 1941.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I found my old British Issue one in the loft at the weekend, complete with liner.

Used to keep me warm, back in the day, but on,y ever wore it to and from the office as I was senior enough to send other people when it was cold or wet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE