Remove Paint from Stainless Steel Pot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greenbeard

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2018
North yorkshire
Have you got a compressor? Sand blasting removes all the paint with ease, sometimes chemical removal methods can leave a residue in the pores of the steel. Just wipe down with brake cleaner after to remove any loose particles.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
"Sand" blasting might damage the surface, aluminum is soft. Might work with nut shell medium though.
Known as "media blasting." The modern media is rarely sand anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Common is crushed walnut shell which you can buy in half a dozen grades.
It's even used as traction compound in genuine snow tires.

Besides the respiratory hazard inherent with sand blasting, companies had other suspicions.
There was an argument that the silica sand hit the iron surfaces (frames and engine blocks)
fast enough to combine >>> iron silicate. Which is very brittle and things were breaking.
I don't know if that turned out to be a myth or not.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I use a bit of sandblasting in my job.
Ultra fine Silica.
I also use sandblasting in my hobby ( car resto) and there I have different mediums. Silica is one of them.

Different machines though. The work machine is about 1/100 of the size.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are you 'sure' it's paint ?
I have a set of aluminium pots that were use on birch fires. Tar burns on black and blacker yet over the years on these. Mine were used as dye baths and simmered for hours.
The thing is though that once the surface soot has been washed off then the black is stable. It's like the coating on old chip pans, which got thick and crusty and didn't go on fire or flake off. The only way to remove that was either elbow grease and brillo pads or to soak for 24 hours in washing soda. Folks just didn't bother, but emptied out the old dripping, cleaned the pot, added fresh blocks and cooked again.
My old dyebaths are definitely not smoothly coated, but the black isn't a problem.

M

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Common is crushed walnut shell which you can buy in half a dozen grades.
It's even used as traction compound in genuine snow tires.

Besides the respiratory hazard inherent with sand blasting, companies had other suspicions.
There was an argument that the silica sand hit the iron surfaces (frames and engine blocks)
fast enough to combine >>> iron silicate. Which is very brittle and things were breaking.
I don't know if that turned out to be a myth or not.

Synthetics blasting media are more common here. Or they were before I left aviation metal work.

I use a bit of sandblasting in my job.
Ultra fine Silica.
I also use sandblasting in my hobby ( car resto) and there I have different mediums. Silica is one of them.

Different machines though. The work machine is about 1/100 of the size.
I presume you mean your work as a dentist? The most common abrasive media used by hygienists here seems to be baking soda.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Yes. I clean all crown and bridge work, using a sand blaster. Also if I need to recement a brown a bridge I use the sand blaster to remove the old cement.

Yep, I use a baking soda ( flavoured) to polish teeth after tartar removal.
I use a Swiss made system called AirFlow S2 made by EMS. Ship the powder from Switzerland too.

I had to buy a new unit recently. 7 K US when I unpacked it.
Ok if it lasts as well as the old unit. 11 years! Quality!

Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE