Break ins.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The museum I regularly demonstrate in was broken into again at the weekend.

CCTV shows a chap at about 23:30 departing with a small rucksack and carrying a chainsaw he stole.

Odd pattern of behaviour, broke into the stick makers and stole a load of whilstes made of horn. Then into the polelathe shelter where he cut the padlock to a van safe and got the chainsaw. Then onto the rake makers cut a padlock to the tool store but nothing was taken probably didn’t recognise what was valuable or has no way to move it on quickly.

My area remained unscathed but I always ensure my area is cleared of all tools etc when I leave which is a faff.
So apart from man traps etc what ideas of you folk got for secure discreet tool storage?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am sorry to hear that. I know how that feels, I had my barn/garage/workhop burglared and cleaned out by a gang of b-stards back in UK.

Lockable steel cabinets ( old filing cabinets?) under work benches if space.
All possible entry ways should be well secured.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I've found filing cabinets just make things inconvenient for opportunists. If people have time and intention, they'll get in them easy enough. Try it yourself.

Get a proper big grunty tool safe, with a big hardened padlock. Cast a big a concrete pad on the ground and (expandable) bolt the tool safe to it from the inside. Can't get into it. Can't cart it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Not if you attach a holder for a padlock.

same with doors and the so called lockable windows. A joke.
Every thief worth his salt can Open a door lock in seconds, or just break open the door.

My solution in UK was to get a door lock that was made in US and not sold in UK, plus have extra padlock at bottom of door.
Here I have a door lock made in Sweden, and another dead bolt thingy at bottom of door.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Not sure what you mean, Janne. This guy had a cutters that went through a padlock. They'd slice up a filing cabinet in a second. Filing cabinets just bend apart if you take a crowbar to them. If the site is abandoned like the OP is saying and making a noise isn't a problem for the guy in the mask and stripey jumper, then filing cabinets provide no security. None.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
How about disguising the tools storage as something a lot less interesting? Same idea as those key safes that look like rocks that you leave in the garden. At my old house I made a key safe from some old wood in such a way that when it was closed it looked like just a chock of planed wood, with all the other odd bits lying around the shed.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Valuables come in all shapes and sizes. Some things, like fancy jewelry boxes, promote theft.
Best here are fake light switches and central heating vents = actually locked bins for valuables.
But, you'd never fit a chainsaw in any of them!

Weld a 3/8" thick pipe steel shroud over the lock.
All you can get at is the key hole in the lock.
Bolt cutters are useless.

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Not sure what you mean, Janne. This guy had a cutters that went through a padlock. They'd slice up a filing cabinet in a second. Filing cabinets just bend apart if you take a crowbar to them. If the site is abandoned like the OP is saying and making a noise isn't a problem for the guy in the mask and stripey jumper, then filing cabinets provide no security. None.
Wow, those were desperate guys!
For not much....

It is easiest to try to prevent entry into the premises.
I was a horrifying vid where the "thief" easily lifted out the glass panel cassette from a supposedly safe window.

The problem (as usual) is that to secure a building or a home costs big money.
To get a proper front door - steel frame, steel door masked as a normal door with wooden veneer,is scarily expensive.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I'm not a thief but I cut a lot of steel, no padlock or site box will keep me for long

Any real security measures need to include all the suggestions in this thread to slow the scum down a bit....all you can do is make things as difficult as possible for them with at least three barriers between your stuff and them walking off with it

One of the best tips is that they can't steal what they can't see

Reactions: santaman2000

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You can register power tools on something like https://arbsafe.co.uk/ so if they're recovered or sold on people can check.

I wonder if microdotting or similar is of any use, or if signs saying tools are protected is any help?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
There are two problems 1) the law of diminishing returns applies (costs go up dramatically for small increases in security) and 2) the more visible security the greater the assumption that there is something of value (and, therefor, the more professional the thief).

I took the view a long time ago for all my work premises that there will be sufficient security to deter a casual/amateur attempt but not so much that the determined would do a lot of damage getting in. So, basically, we had doors and windows alarmed, IR/movement sensors in each room, CCTV and good quality locks on the doors. Anything else would have been more than the insured risk.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Small electric engraving pens are sold here. Tungsten carbide tipped.
The police recommend us engraving our Social Insurance ID numbers on valuables.
Small suggestive signs in your house windows do much the same

May be unsightly but such items can be checked against an online police data base in mere seconds.
Second hand stores exercise fair diligence with such goods.
Been some big time thieves picked up that way.

Trotsky

If someone absolutely wants your stuff there's nothing really you can do about it, even if you're sat there watching, rifle in hand, they'll simply wait until you nod off from exhaustion. You can however do a great deal to dissuade the less determined and the opportunist tea leaves. Get better padlocks, don't worry too much about pick resistance, just resistance to brute force attacks and bolt croppers. The thicker the hardened shackle and the less of it you see the better. Then shroud the hasp and staple of what you're locking so there's something else to defeat before you get to the lock. If you're using a chain and a lock, avoid letting the chain sit loose especially near the floor as it opens it up to brute force attacks also. Aside from that, make sure your efforts cannot easily be bypassed by attacking something else other than the lock, such as removing pins from hinges or some such. Above all don't go too mad, making things like fort knox will not only mean a determined thief will cause more damage before getting your stuff, it also is like hanging a sign saying "expensive precious stuff stored here!" Think of it like Adrian Mole's grandmother leaving Radio 2 on loud in the kitchen rather than having a house alarm, only the boldest will enter a home showing signs of life and they wouldn't care about an alarm anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE