F1, I would rather watch paint dry!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is fun to be in the VIP section of any sport. Even watching a terrapin race is then fun. Decent sitting, decent booze, chinwag with the drivers, see some famous people.

I have only had that privilege twice, at the offshore races in Grimstad in Norway, and at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
Invited. Cost us zero. Which was the best bit!

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
It is fun to be in the VIP section of any sport. Even watching a terrapin race is then fun. Decent sitting, decent booze, chinwag with the drivers, see some famous people.

I have only had that privilege twice, at the offshore races in Grimstad in Norway, and at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.
Invited. Cost us zero. Which was the best bit!

Im starting to think you have somebody typing for you while you sit by the fire in velvet slippers janne.
I jest...
Most of the time its not the sport,its the sense of occasion

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No, I am dressed in a dental tunic, hunched over due to upper back and shoulder ache.....
Glasses spotted from the patient's saliva spray......

Yes, it is the occasion.

I have the Goodwood Festival of Speed, the Goodwood Revival, and the horse track all within a 3-5 minute drive of my house. And I have access to free tickets, non-VIP but can use the stands, I still don’t bother going. Better fun is to be had watching the track days at the motor circuit, or watching the Spitfire being prepared for take off.

I have my doubts as to whether the OP would find the “actual” sport more interesting when offered free Champagne and caviar. I’m sure VIP is a great laugh with all its pomp and smug self importance, but it’s fairly well out of context here in this thread unless you feel the need to boast.

The OP makes a fair comment, F1 has become boring. It started a few years ago. Sky grabbed a chunk of our BBC sport so we only got a few races on the Beeb, the rules got too complex for the average enthusiast to follow, the interest dwindled. It used to be a “my car is faster than yours” sport. I have a lovely clip here of The Beast of Turin, taken on the Goodwood Hill climb. For those of you unfamiliar with this car, it has a 4 cylinder 28ltr engine, and scared the wotnot out of my dogs as it popped and banged at the turnaround at the top. I had no idea what was coming up the hill, just something very noisy. Hell of a thing to see, it wasnt part of an event or anything, just coincided with where I walk the dogs.

And yes, it does look a bit like Reys speeder from Star Wars, I have a feeling it may have been admired by someone in production.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I am sure the OP would find a F1 race more interesting if he got a nice view and everything else for free!
I did enjoy it, and I am sure most normal people would. Maybe even you?
Boasting about a free pass?
That is quite funny, I have to say!

F1 has become incredibly technical with a hugely important strategies, in addition to the driving.

I sometimes think that the driving takes second or even third stage....

The F1 I enjoy watching most is 1960's and 1970's.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It sounds morbid, but the crashes are what make the sport.
It seems humans have a weird need to see other people expose themselves (mortal) danger.
Circus acrobats, many blood sports, motor vehicle racing.

Games were more interesting during the Roman times......

Christian vs Lion...
:)

leon-1

I am sure the OP would find a F1 race more interesting if he got a nice view and everything else for free!

F1 has become incredibly technical with a hugely important strategies, in addition to the driving.

Being there is different, I remember going to F1 races as a boy when they were still held at Brands Hatch, but to be honest the racing was a minor part of it, it was the the people, the sound, the smell and the atmosphere and that is something that TV at this time cannot impart to the viewer. As I said I find watching Cricket boring as hell, but I have been a Marshall at Canterbury Cricket Grounds and that was the same it wasn't the activity / the sport it was THE EVENT.

People quite frequently attend EVENTS, not for what's going on, the sport or organised activity, but for the social side of life. The Wilderness Gathering, The Bushmoot and the Army & Navy Rugby match are classic examples. Yes you will learn or watch the spectacle of sporting prowess and yes you may appreciate the work and effort that has gone into it, but you are also surrounded by people that are in some way involved be it physically, emotionally or mentally and that is "contagious".

F1 has nothing to do with driving prowess and the top driver, it's to do with the constructors championship and "My Car Is Better Than Yours:nana:." As to F1 being technical it's not as technical now as it has been in the past. People need to remember that design will improve with improved technology and manufacturing process and F1 has taken aspects of design from the Aeronautical industry and applied them to the automotive industry. If you look at the telemetry readings you get from an F1 vehicle you then understand that all the F1 car is is a prototype for improvement, it's a continual work in progress.

If it had anything to do with the driver they would all be driving identical vehicles and all tyre changes would be an automated process so that no one driver had an advantage over another. Instead what F1 is, is a chance for automotive companies to showcase their latest innovations and get sponsors to pay for the R&D. Televising it is just a way of getting more money into the pot for companies who already make billions as different companies vie for the rights to televise it in different countries. Add to that the sponsorship that the teams get and it's a profitable bet for automotive companies as it reduces their costs on R&D.

F1 is not a sport, it's a business and the televising of F1 is a chance for the automotive companies to showcase their wares in a barely interesting procession of boredom.

Reactions: Janne

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

We all would. Travelling the world to the famous tracks to slurp Champagne with a great view. The OP is talking about television viewing of a sport that has without doubt become boring for anyone that isn’t interested in complex maths, race technology, rules, and strategies. That puts it out of the reach or interest of many people. Your reply was irrelevant, as usual, to the original post.

As for boasting about free tickets, everyone who lives here and works on the estate gets a couple of free tickets. Not everyone wants to go or is interested, thus they change hands sometimes via eBay, or more often by the local to local, free. Maybe a pint or two bought, but essentially free.

I’ve been to the FOS three times over the years, and it was the time when I sat down at about 09.00 in the morning at a vast but completely deserted Moët et Chandon table to eat a bacon roll, picked up the menu and saw 20 prawns and a bottle of Moët was £200, and was then politely asked to leave the table despite the place being deserted that I decided enough was enough. Each to their own, I still think you’re being obtuse, snobbish, avoiding the OP question, and generally trolling the forum. If you’re getting spat in the face for it, well...

In the years you’ve been posting I’ve not seen one photograph, one trip report, one review of kit, just the fact you think you know best and are a fount of knowledge. And you’re getting spat in the face by patients. Now that is funny.

Reactions: Mr Wolf and Kepis

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Gentlemen I’d like to remind you that personal attacks are not in the spirit of the forum. This is a friendly safe location to discuss all aspects of bushcraft and related topics.

If that concept is beyond you I will permanently ban both Janne and Nice65.

Clearly you’re not overly keen on one another.

Consider this your final warning.

Place nice or don’t play at all.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Oh no, don't go deleting the posts again, I feel like I miss out and can't live vicariously through your arguments.

Reactions: Mr Wolf
Aug 15, 2018
England
No, I just removed a post with offensive content. Hopefully Nice will do the same.

Personally I could't see what the issue was with what you were saying regarding the original topic and felt that the comment made by 'Nice' was actually quite nasty and un-called for IMO. As a new member who has been reading quietly in the background I have found a great number of your posts extremely helpful, especially for someone who is trying to understand more about about the bush crafting world.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Thank you. I read the Moderators post, then mine, and I realised that my answer to Nice’s post is ‘not me’ so I removed it.
I apologise too for having a dig at our resident dentist,hope you realise its more playfull than malice with your ferraris and cheapo 800 bean watches.
Personally i dont get jealous,you earned it and your views are different due to social status but your an okay kind of elitist lol

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Life is complex, full of crossroads where we are forced into a life changing situation, or where a difficult choice has to be made.
I was lucky that life, and to a lesser degree my choices, pushed me into a path well rewarded economically.

It has also brought some true negatives. Ruined knee, severely damaged lower back, now with arthritis. Later a worn out shoulder, arthritis in neck.
My first wage after my studies was age 28. Was burdened with a student loan, eqvivalent to 5 average yearly wages, until 6 years ago.
Leaving my home country Sweden, a country full of wonderful, hardly touched nature where I used to spent most of my free time hiking and fishing. Hunting in season.
Leaving UK, where I managed to establish another type of life, with less ‘wild, real nature’ but more social culture.
Then another breakup, this time to a small, nature deprived island...
Beach? Not been there for at least 4 years......

Everything has a cost. If I want to enjoy the nature I love, and can live in effortlessly, (which is the Arctic Boreal in northern Norway or Sweden) I need to travel for close to 2 days.

I am not an elitist. I always preferred premium quality equipment. Which is usually expensive.
I got it by saving my money until I could buy it.
Give up one luxury a week. With luxury I mean something non essential. Like smoking one pack of smokes less a week ( 3 cigs less a day) Or one pint of beer at the pub.
Put that money in a glass jar.
Quite soon you can buy that expensive thing.

I still have the 1972 ABU Ambassadeur 5000 I bought after cutting neighbours lawns for a summer. I still have the 1973 Omega watch I bought after shovelling snow from neighbours drives brfore school for one winter. I still have and use the ( very expensive) equipment I bought through the 1970’s.
The quality is fantastic, longevity too.
The cheap equipment I have bought over the years is broken and replaced several times.

End of tangenting off topic.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I think that for me personally, what has removed my joy of watching F1 and most other motor sports, is that the screen is small, and the 'action' on it is to fast. Zoom past in, zoom past out. Cut to next vehicle. Zoom zoom.
Also I find it difficult to see the overall picture of the races.

I imagine that being physically at a F1 race is not much better. You only see a small portion of the track, and due to the incredible speeds, you hardly see the cars.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Not sure why we are talking about F1 here at all :lol: especially if no one seems to like it in the first place. Though it probably is a subject worth falling out over.

I am like a lot of people with sport ... kind of mixed. Years ago I liked nothing better than to chase a squash ball around a court. Can’t stand to watch it though. Same with rugby. I have learned to appreciate soccer and baseball. but most of the sports I like are not particularly viewer friendly. Surfing when I was younger, kayaking, climbing, skiing ... all dull as ditchwater to watch and the competitive aspects are completely contrived. Can’t abide athletics, though I do like watching the swimming mainly because I used to swim and technique has changed so massively.

Also, I like that yoga is now a competitive sport ... tells us a lot about where we have got to, I think, in terms of commodifying almost every abstract endeavour

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE