Bushcraftuk.com seems less and less populated nowadays.. :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
You didn't do a melt down and throw the rattle, you didn't rip threads to pieces, you didn't have a mega tantrum and leave an unholy mess and upset people behind.
Not my style and seen it too many times.
Many a great thread has been ruined by one fool with a chip on their shoulder

Reactions: Toddy

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I apologise for my abrasive comments

All good here.

As mods on here generally we have very little to do, usually a little bit of house keeping. Tidying the odd thread and moving posts to more appropriate sub forums. Keeping an eye on the spam.

It’s a credit to the members of the forum that things run so smoothly. We all share a passion for the great outdoors and a love for wildlife.

We have more in common than the tiny disputes that separate us.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I suppose I count as one of the "old guard". So here's my take on it, over the years my interest has ebbed and flowed. Life, and other passions take precedence sometimes. For four or five years I got ride of the internet altogether.
These days before I comment on a thread I tend to ask myself, can I really add anything? And more often than not, find myself just lurking. maybe I'm part of the problem?
This is still a great place, and a fantastic resource.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
What I would hate to see BCUK become is a second rate eBay.

I must confess to offering a vape tank up for sale recently. I appreciate it’s not at all bushcraft, but I’d rather an honest sale here amongst people I trust than putting it to the charlatans that lurk on eBay. Though the flint and steel set I sold here went off with a Spyderco Grasshopper included because I couldn’t find my own fire kit to add some fatwood and Birch bark as an extra. I feel I’m appeased. :)

I know exactly what you mean about second rate eBay from having spent so much time on BB. It turned into a moderators nightmare at times with us having to join various US knife forums only to find the item “sold” several times with the seller either disappearing or claiming to have several of exactly the same version of high end knife for sale.

I don’t mind a “pushchairs, ferrets etc” type approach, but Caveat Emptor is key. Mods should never have to get involved unless it involves banning a dodgy member. I tend to use the content search on members prior to sale on more expensive items, see how they come across on the forum. Low posters, non-posters tend not to get the sale, depends on the PM convo really.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Our dreams are many. Sadly the realisation of such tends to fall someway short of expectation and the only constant that may be credited with ensuring this disappointment is LIFE itself.

K

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I found a BCUK patch the other day that has never made it onto a pack and I confess that I thought that maybe it wasn't worth putting it on as nobody would know or care what BCUK was anymore.
Loads of members; few new threads. Threads that just boil down to "take a look at my new video ". Every thread commented on by certain members in a tangential way that soon causes the thread to wither and die. Members who are only here for the the knife sales since the demise of BB. Aggressive and argumentative replies that are entirely un-called for. It isn't the place it used to be.

Z

Reactions: richy3333 and Robbi

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I would concur that facebook/Instagram/YouTube has a lot to do with the population decline. Folks wanting to make a go of things for themselves have found platforms that can promote what they want, in an easier and further reaching way. Others, those wanting to learn/follow certain things, have found a simpler and more direct way to do so.

I've noticed the decline in forum activity across the board..... its saddening... I came to do what I still do through this forum. I always check in, but not often log in. This place used to be an awesome place to come for good old debate about all sorts of subjects... so many opinions and differences... I could spend a whole weekend debating something and always come away either learning something, or laughing at something! It was always time well spent.

With facebooks new policy on the selling of knives, that being the algorithm they use to remove knife sales... I can see a resurgence In the use of forums....if only because of the buying/selling of sharps. That doesn't matter though. Once more folks are here... more will follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Wolf and Janne
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Another thing that occours to me is the time and aging of people. Some people have kids, and are less seen, some people retire like the Rv Southey. With the new media of you tube and Facebook sucking up new membership, it's not really any wonder.

Also people dissappear to other niche sites like prepper forums who you do not see again trek lite was noticeable for the drop in postings, many people on there have not retuirned.

The only thing I can think is to make these seperate sites all one big site, one log on etc. So blame Shewie basicaly!

Edit:

Have you ever noticed how the forum is dead on a Sunday

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE