Coastal Flora ID- trying to learn some edibles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Hi all,

This morning I watched this coastal foraging video and it inspired me to learn more about the coastline around my village.

I decided to take a walk around a local estuary and I've set out on a project to study the following plants in a bit more detail over the coming weeks. Wild Carrot, Wild Parsnip, Wild Horseradish, Sea Beet, Orache, Marsh and Rock Samphire and Silverweed. I'll post findings here. I'm positive on the ID of Rock Samphire, Marsh Samphire, and Silverweed - I've eaten it a few times as a nibble during a walk.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me get a more positive ID for them.

1. Wild Carrot?
d9KnCqI.jpg

mFgjU0m.jpg

b6aqaz1.jpg

Kyuackd.jpg

2. Horse Raddish?

dEXSy3Z.jpg

xXtrFEU.jpg
3gLUJmM.jpg

3. Sea Beet?
B6DBHte.jpg
QEaTKwq.jpg
cBqZVqL.jpg

4. Orache?
mWh0jDD.jpg
i40sAvr.jpg

5. Silverweed - I'm familiar with this one. I wanted to see the roots as apparently they're edible. I'm not sure what the grass is with the bulb at the bottom of the 2nd photo - I guess this emphasises the need to remove the whole plant for a positive ID

3lA5ZJX.jpg
GsUKa0c.jpg

JcXYGe3.jpg

6. I'm not sure what this is, I found it among some reeds next to an estuary.

GmH6tBq.jpg
QcGFn4c.jpg
sVzoPhX.jpg

Reactions: Billy-o
Silverweed is certainly edible
ate quite a bit roasted in embers or mixed into the survival stews when i did the Hunter Gatherer Challenge last october.
negative is its pretty small per root positive is there's usually a lot growing in an area so its not too difficult to gather enough to add to meals.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Number 6 looks like the seed pods from a wild iris, probably Iris pseudacorus

I don't think 2 is horse radish as it doesn't look anything like the plants I'm growing. It looks more like a sea beat.

Also take care when lifting roots as you need permission to do so.

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Hello again,

Thank's to Man of Tanith and Slowworm for your response.
I had a sample of the silverweed root I brought back - I tried it raw as suggested in The Forager Handbook. It wasn't to my taste, I'll have to try it cooked at some point.

Slowworm, yes, I think you're right. It looks just like Sea Beet! I've spent a bit of time looking into them this morning - The Forager Handbook pointed me in the direction of the Goosefoot family (Chenopodiaceae). I've spent a bit of time looking into this family to help out - Botany in A Day has proven useful. Most of the info can also be found here. It looks like a very valuable family, it seems to contain a lot of coastal edibles!

After a reasonable amount of time learning this family and spending some time identifying Sea Beet, I decided to sample some this morning. It tastes great, although slightly bitter but this is supposed to reduce with cooking. I've done a bit of reading about the plant in Edible Seashore as well as those previously stated have been useful.

Points learned -
  • The root is also edible and has been used by Mesolithic Danes - charred ends have been found at archeological sites
  • Beetroot was selectively bread from Sea Beet, breading those that had a reddish tinge to them
  • Sugarbeet is also closely related
  • It can be found all year round and is often still great in flavor
  • It can be found in most coastal placed around the UK but less so in Scotland
  • Most plants in the Chenopodiaceae are considered edible (it would be great to find out if there are any inedible or poisonous ones - I haven't found any yet)
  • It holds Nitrate, therefore care must be taken when consuming it. Nitrate is often found in chemical and manure fertilisers. (often concentrated on the boundary of fields, due to plants not being removed from this area. It can also increase in excessively dry conditions. Botany in a Day suggests that nitrates aren't too much of an issue in healthy adults, but those with kidney stones or infants need to be careful. (Does anyone know anything more about this area)
I'm looking forward to trying it in a meal soon. Even though I'm 99% sure it's Sea Beet I have eaten, I want to give it a day in-caseI'mm alergic.

Slowworm - mystery number 6 does look like Iris pseudacorus. I'll keep an eye on it and try to get a picture as it flowers. I did a quick google and Wikipedia suggests that it has been used for water treatment and is a good indicator of low PH soils - that seems to fit its environment I found it in as it is sandy. Anyone know anything more about this Iris Pseudacorus?

Blue

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
When you collect Wild Carrot, try to avoid collecting a very similar plant called Hemlock.
Not so healthy to eat!

Generally speaking, I do not think I would trust anybody on Youtube with potentially deadly or damaging things. It is like watching thoseYoutube backyard bushcrafters giving out survival tips!

I am more inclined to trust books, but cross referenced.

As you live in UK, then my first choice would be SAS survival handbook.
Then maybe Mears’ Wild food.

Last edited:

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
When you collect Wild Carrot, try to avoid collecting a very similar plant called Hemlock.
Not so healthy to eat!

Generally speaking, I do not think I would trust anybody on Youtube with potentially deadly or damaging things. It is like watching thoseYoutube backyard bushcrafters giving out survival tips!

I am more inclined to trust books, but cross referenced.

Hi Janne,

Agreed, it's worth learning Hemlock before touching anything in the umbels.

I like YouTube to be honest. I find there are reputable sources out there, Paul Kirtley and Ray Mears are on there, I guess it's each to their own. Fraser in the video runs his own Coastal Foraging and Bushcraft Company. I think you have to sift out the rubbish - like you point out though anyone could make a video. I find some of the videos can inspire me to get out sometimes.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
They are great for inspiration for sure!

Remember one thing when foraging: if the plant grows on chemically contaminated ground it will contain the contaminant.
People tend to think that all green areas are ’pure’.

The coast line is not exempt from contamination. Old oil spilld, other chemicals dumped just outside, stuff like that.

Also, remember that plants do not have the exact look like in a book/ youtube vid. Variation exist.

Plus one mote thing: once you foraged, you need to wash and clean the food really, really carefully. Soil contain organisms/ toxins, animal (specially bird) poo some very harmful things.

People are anal purifying their water, but then eat any dirty pland they can lay their hands on. Weird!

Last edited:

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Managed to get some Sea Beet for breakfast this morning. I wish we'd had some decent bread in, I had to settle for Warburtons.

1. Gordon Ramsey style scrambled eggs - still runny
  2. A tablespoon of Goats Cheese
  3. A handful of Sea Beet
  4. Pepper
  5. No Salt as the Sea Beet is already quite salty
38006944_10155842065135547_8091566326641852416_n.jpg

38142784_10155842065175547_1980610063877799936_n.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
We used to pick a lot of Sea Kale when we were younger.

Google has plenty of pics, it’s fairly obviously a type of Kale by its looks. Young shoots can be eaten raw, big old leaves can be tough and bitter. Mid size leaves cook just like Kale and taste great, and are highly nutritious.

Reactions: Janne

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm willing to guess that the bigger book shops all along the UK coast will be well-stocked with field guides for local plant identification.
Coastal living in paleo times must have been pretty good with low tides twice a day and the inland plants.

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE