Begginers Stuck

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ashley English

Jul 24, 2018
Kent
Hi,

A Few days ago I got a recommended video pop up on my youtube. It was a man doing an overnight camp with his dog in Canada, I clicked on it and before I knew it had watched the entire video lasting just over 1 hour. I was hooked and have watched many hours since. So my Question is ... How do I start ? what do I need to know? I'm from Kent so I wondered if there were any good shops or people or places around etc. I'm completely new to this I've barely camped at all but have always been interested in this kind of idea of being off the grid camping back to basics style.

Sorry if the relavent info is avalible somwhere ive not spotted it ! and I apolagise in advance for grammer and spelling mistakes! I'm rather dyslexic!

Thanks
Ashley

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi Ashley, welcome and enjoy.
A good place to start would be to get in touch with the Kent group. https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?forums/england-south-east.59/
As for kit, start cheap and upgrade as you get to know more.
Some folk like millitary surplus, cheap, robust and fit for purpose, but heavy. Some like modern lighweight kit.
A small tent, sleep mat, sleeping bag, gas stove, canteen set, water carrier and a rucksack will get you started.
Get out there and enjoy yourself.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello and welcome.

I moved your first post to the Intro and Welcome forum since it seemed a good place for you to start. You will find plenty of dyslexic folk here too...there seems to be something about bushcraft that attracts the square pegs. :D

I am sure that some other people from your area will be able to point you at some bushcraft training schools, it is certainly a good way to make a start since a course will give you a lot of information in a very structured way. That was how I started. While I had done outdoor stuff, I had never camped until I did a course with Woodlore over near East Grinstead, East Sussex. People do travel for courses though, I came down from Hertfordshire for that one, and was up in the Lake District for one a week ago.

While there has been much discussion and argument about what "bushcraft" means to people, I like the description that was arrived at at the Woodsmoke Rendezvous by the "Titans of Bushcraft" .
SOB_Venn1.JPG

As you can see, bushcraft can cover a LOT of skills, knowledge and activities. Everyone is different on what they want to learn, but my take is that there are some basic skills which not only act as a foundation for further knowledge, but can find applications in everyday life. There have been a number of threads with the word "skills" in the title that would give you a good starting point.
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/skills-to-learn.127310/
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/skills-to-learn-or-improve.128237/
https://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/10-skills-that-should-be-learned.129758/page-2

If, like many, you think that bushcraft is all about knife work and campfires, then it isn't so easy to find public places. Right now the climate isn't good to be found wandering around with a knife unless you have permission to be there with one, and with the dry weather it isn't a good idea to be lighting fires unless you have permission and are prepared to put it out fast if it gets out of hand. However, there is plenty that can be learned without these things. People seem to overlook stuff like plant identification, tracking, navigation, knot work, or that they can learn knife skills in their living room with a sheet on the floor to catch shavings.

Anyway, having learned a lot of skills on my own, I can thoroughly recommend the idea of finding a course to get you jump started.

Also, there is our BushMoot in south Wales in a few weeks, and the Wilderness Gathering a week later. Great places for learning too.

Reactions: Insel Affen

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Sadly I can't take credit, I knew the diagram existed and just went a Googling for something that showed it. I suppose I should draw it up myself. However, the original was drawn up with the help of Stuart, who was one of the original Mods here. It was created in an attempt to explain the relationship between the various terms and activities in a way that was inclusive.

Reactions: Insel Affen

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I would advise you get yourself a good book as a reference guide, for eg: SAS Survival Handbook by John "Lofty" Wiseman, and there are plenty of others, it is ok looking at all the videos on YTube but remembering everything is the problem, the most important bit of kit you will have is the knowledge in your head, but a good book as a quick reference is second to none, the aforementioned book can be got on EvilBay for about £2, these books are full of very good information good pictures of what you can and cannot eat to sustain yourself out in the wild etc, and hints about building shelters, fires, etc etc.invaluable source of information and a good starting point in the learning curve of outdoors survival.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
What was it about that video that particularly grabbed your interest Ashley?

If it was a big project with multiple skills involved, then it will take you some time to learn similar things from scratch, but simpler things can be picked up with minimal guidance and an inquisitive mind. I'd certainly get in touch with your local group and see how often they meet up - normally there is no hard and fast rules and you'll be able to ask all manner of questions about what you really want to do.
Don't be afraid to tread your own path, learn with humility and practice what you want to practice. There's no need to spend great sums of money on any kit untul you know what you want to do.

Mostly, enjoy yourself.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Was it a video by Joe Robinet? i've watched a few of his youtube vids and he seems down to earth with what he shows.

The best way to get into stuff like that is to get a few friends, a tent, some decent clothes, some food etc.. and get out there. Start easy with a night, build it up from there. The more you learn the less you'll feel you need to take and the more you'll be able to do.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Welcome. Bushcraft is a huge topic. If you are looking for a good book to cover some of the basics then Ray Mears' "Bushcraft" is good, as it's written from a UK perspective.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Hi Ashley
My advice would be "Get outside! ". There's a risk when you want to copy something you have seen online that you end up wasting time watching videos and money buying kit when you could be enjoying the outdoors and learning first hand from nature. Go for a walk. Take a bag. Take something in the bag (food, water). Bring something interesting back. Record the experience - just notes for yourself - what worked and what could be improved.

Z

Reactions: richy3333 and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE