User names.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
Ehm, 5teep.....you wouldn't know a local fellow who's know as MadHacker would you ?

M

Local to whom?? Mad Hacker sounds familiar but I knew a Mad Harry back then so...

edit The game I'm talking about is/was called Air Attack.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Glasgow/Lanarkshire.
Duke nukem 3 when he was still at school. Kept the whole thing up in the UK when something new came out and crashed everywhere else. I mind feeding him hot chocolate and home made gingernuts in the middle of the night.

"Technically" he's a software engineer....

Reactions: 5teep

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
Glasgow/Lanarkshire.
Duke nukem 3 when he was still at school. Kept the whole thing up in the UK when something new came out and crashed everywhere else. I mind feeding him hot chocolate and home made gingernuts in the middle of the night.

"Technically" he's a software engineer....

Ah, AA was much the same, went on way past it's sell by date because it was just a great game to play. Designed originally for 28k modem, 640x480 etc. it lasted well into the broadband age and only really died when we couldn't get a working server any more.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
This you will not believe:

One of my female patients ( Jamaican originally) is called Phellony as a first name.
Then, a young male patient, Caymanian, , is called Oral.
I always wondered what his sis would be called if he had one. I have not asked his parents!

Reactions: petrochemicals

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Oral is a pretty regular name. Old too. Never heard Phellony before, though.

There were characters in The Dukes of Hazzard called Cletus and Enos, pronounced for comic effect

Reactions: Nice65

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Oral is a normal name? Cooool.....

Onan is biblic, but no parent seems to be keen on it?

My guess is the dad (or mum) used to be taken to court, and heard the word felony many times, and liked the sound of it.

(the word 'oral' too?? :) )

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
"Mary Christmas" worked as pub manager, the parents must have known.

I saw a dave gorman programme too where he puts into the head of a colleague that Adil is a good first name for Mr and Mrs fidlers son

My user name is one of many names my parents used for me. Pepe peplo petrocheli pep etc

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ah, AA was much the same, went on way past it's sell by date because it was just a great game to play. Designed originally for 28k modem, 640x480 etc. it lasted well into the broadband age and only really died when we couldn't get a working server any more.

Master of off topic, I’ve recently been chiding Harebrainedschemes for buying the Shadowrun games and not being bothered to maintain them.

On topic, I did think Everything Mac was a Scottish thing cos you live up there and are probably called Mac something. :D

Reactions: 5teep

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My wife reminds me that when was having our firstborn the woman in the next bed, Mrs Beer, gave birth to a ginger headed little girl whom she named Virginia. One hopes her school mates opted for the more obvious Ginger Beer than anything worse.

I was at school with a boy named Alan Peter Edwards who was known to all by his initials. He must have wondered whether his parents did it on purpose. I did know a Mr Loades who wanted to call his son Laurence until his wife pointed out that it would be inevitably shortened to Laurie this saving the kid a lifetime of teasing.

I guess we are lucky to be able to pick our own user names although we then have only ourselves to blame.

Reactions: Janne

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
There was a lady in Hamilton who we used to deliver milk called Miss Wardrobe who was hit by a house of fraser lorry, I went into fits of laughing thinking furniture van wardrobe, Ian Baird the milk man told me to get a grip and then said we can knock her off the list.

Reactions: Billy-o

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I had a friend christened to Laurentius.
The Swedish version is Lars, but I guess his parents wanted to be different.

Of course we bullied him in a friendly way.
My middle name is Franz.
After Franz Josef, the last emperor of my ancestral country.
Friendly bullied too, they called me Frank.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
My sister married, her surname became Sharpe.
Sometime later my mother remarried, her surname became Blunt.

The pair of them never noticed the funny side of it until Mum was in hospital and the Doc seeing Mum's notes said
"Hello Mrs Blunt" then to my sister "who is this with you today"
"I'm her daughter, Mrs Sharpe" replied my sister.
Much laughter from all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE