A bit of upcycling.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
We have had a bit of a plague of flies just lately. I suspect something died outside the kitchen window and attracted them. The plastic fly swat I bought last year from Olivanders snapped before the battle had really begun. A quick look at EBay promised more plastic ones could be had for a few quid, but this was an arms race I had to win and I wanted weaponry that I could rely on. I'm not keen on replacing plastic things that break with more plastic things. However, I also found some very fine swatters in an entirely different "adult" section of EBay!
I was inspired and immediately thought "I can make that " and set off to rummage in the shed.
One old work boot, a coat-hanger and three copper rivets became this:
IMG_20180617_193237.jpg IMG_20180617_193302.jpg

Suddenly the odds have changed. The flies that remain are all very afraid. Leather has just the right combination of springiness, floppiness and weight to despatch the little blighters. I wish I had made one years ago.

Z

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great thought process on the design and execution. :D I am pretty adept with a wet tea towel and the dead flies get to feed my boys Venus fly trap.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Nice work, very cool.

We have electrocuting fly swats from Poundland, I use my swordsmanship skills with them, the flies don't stand a chance!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice work, very cool.

We have electrocuting fly swats from Poundland, I use my swordsmanship skills with them, the flies don't stand a chance!

Not a bad idea, a decent swatter.

Even with new batteries, big flies just laugh in the face of the electric tennis bat. Wasps get mildly cross, escalating to very cross on the second attempt. I’m not too bothered with the wasps, but we have an idiot Jack Russell that just doesn’t get it despite having been stung in the mouth and stomach before. Any sort of flying insect causes a high level of utter stupidity, made worse by flailing, pointing in the general direction, getting a can of Raid out, or heaven forbid, the racquet.

This vid is simply a fly. Nobody has pointed, commented, or even looked in its general direction.

Reactions: Toddy and Zingmo

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Yeah I have had three electric swatters. All now in a landfill. Only the first one was really effective but the handle broke. The later ones just stunned the flies so they would reanimate in the bin later.

Z

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Yeah I have had three electric swatters. All now in a landfill. Only the first one was really effective but the handle broke. The later ones just stunned the flies so they would reanimate in the bin later.

Z

Never had a problem, I squash em when I pickth em up to be sure!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We have had a bit of a plague of flies just lately. I suspect something died outside the kitchen window and attracted them. The plastic fly swat I bought last year from Olivanders snapped before the battle had really begun. A quick look at EBay promised more plastic ones could be had for a few quid, but this was an arms race I had to win and I wanted weaponry that I could rely on. I'm not keen on replacing plastic things that break with more plastic things. However, I also found some very fine swatters in an entirely different "adult" section of EBay!
I was inspired and immediately thought "I can make that " and set off to rummage in the shed.
One old work boot, a coat-hanger and three copper rivets became this:
View attachment 49450 View attachment 49451

Suddenly the odds have changed. The flies that remain are all very afraid. Leather has just the right combination of springiness, floppiness and weight to despatch the little blighters. I wish I had made one years ago.

Z

That's a great fly swatter, goodjob, I'm very tempted to copy your design!! I think i've got some wire coat hangers stashed, they're getting harder and harder to find!

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Cool fly swat. I too have an electric swat. Tried it on a bluebottle the other day, it has enough juice to generate sparks and cause smoke to issue from the unfortunate recipient of my attention so I guess its alright.

I did a bit of upcycling myself recently, I've been getting old 13amp plugs without the plastic shields on the neutral and live pins and making bottle openers from the earth and neutral pinsIMG_20180511_104659104.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE