Tarp recommendations, 4 meter square (ish)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Any good tarp recommendations? Need 4m minimum but not much bigger. Not a DD tarp, looking to upgrade from DD tarps as have had some long term issues with them and really want better/more tie outs in the middle.

The present candidate is Tatonka tarp 1 in poly (love the cotton one but price is insane now). May still make one if we get time.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
231540_02_c.jpg

231540_03_c.jpg

Heimplanet HPT Dawn Tarp - cairo camo

231540_07_c.jpg

https://www.bike24.com/p2231540.html

https://www.bike24.com/p2231540.html

Reactions: R.Lewis

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
May I ask what is wrong with DD tarps. I am looking for a 4x4 because I am a bit tall. And I thought DD is the best available?!?
DD is not bad, their kit is "adequate". But there are better options with better fabric, better features and better design. Have a look at my group buy for AquaQuest tarps: http://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/aqua-quest-tarps-group-buy.149866/
and compare tie out points for example, first thing that rips on DD tarp if you tension it too much.

Reactions: 7 feet

7 feet

Jun 19, 2018
northern Germany
DD is not bad, their kit is "adequate". But there are better options with better fabric, better features and better design. Have a look at my group buy for AquaQuest tarps: http://bushcraftuk.com/community/index.php?threads/aqua-quest-tarps-group-buy.149866/
and compare tie out points for example, first thing that rips on DD tarp if you tension it too much.

Thank you very much. I really like all these "better"'s. Looks good with some interesting ideas.
In case ofquality of equipment I was never interested in the price. If need something, I look only about function and quality. And these aqua quest tarps are not really expensive. For my last tarp I paid 450 Pounds ;)
I think it is worth a try. When I was in Ross on Wye I got a super nice British Armed Forces tarp. Super robust but a bit small. Do you know anything about the sizes of those tarps?
It's this one I think
http://www.endicotts.co.uk/content/british-shelter-sheet-gs-m-tp
Maybe there are additional sizes?

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Thank you very much. I really like all these "better"'s. Looks good with some interesting ideas.
In case ofquality of equipment I was never interested in the price. If need something, I look only about function and quality. And these aqua quest tarps are not really expensive. For my last tarp I paid 450 Pounds ;)
I think it is worth a try. When I was in Ross on Wye I got a super nice British Armed Forces tarp. Super robust but a bit small. Do you know anything about the sizes of those tarps?

Yeah I think AquaQuest fills a space between DD and hand made stuff. And you are getting quality stuff for a price that won't prevent you from using it :)
Are you asking about british basha? They are 2.56m by 2.16m. Aquaquest does 4 sizes and everything is in that link above.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
This is slightly off topic sizewise, but it is something I have looked at more than once.

MLD_Pro_poncho.png

Misplaced my existing poncho. Looking like Catweazle isn't quite the aim, and the price isn't right either. But it is in the ballpark, conceptually. I think it is cuben.

I own tarps galore, but would like something light and mutipurpose. Also going larger than this and foldable (or 2x and attachable) had crossed my mind. I ordinarily just grin and bear heavy rain in a goretex fortress but, as I am aging, being able to put up a quick fly would be splendid.

You might ask around to see if there are any cuben engineers around at the moment.

For a good 4x4m have a look at the Hilleberg UL. It is pretty magnificent. The other thing you might think about is one of Henry Shire's Tarptents ... well, I keep thinking about them :)

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Have had the centre tie outs of several DD tarps fail. The stitching just rips. Not being ripstop they can tear bad too. Also stretch badly.

And don't get me started on the stuff sacks! Absolute junk, far too small and tear really easy. Have replaced all our larger tarp bags and use their old bags for the smaller ones.

Don't get me wrong, for the price nothing comes close. We have six DD tarps and they are usually the go to tarps.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I had my tatonka 3x3 fail on me in the winter and I'm looking at a quality tarp, I might give the aqua quest ones a go, Matt's got a good price on them in the group buy forum, a 4x4 would be nice, there's quite a big jump from 4x3 to 4x6... Look good though.... I also like their rucksacks...

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I had my tatonka 3x3 fail on me in the winter and I'm looking at a quality tarp, I might give the aqua quest ones a go, Matt's got a good price on them in the group buy forum, a 4x4 would be nice, there's quite a big jump from 4x3 to 4x6... Look good though.... I also like their rucksacks...
That's not good, just bought a(nother) tatonka!

7 feet

Jun 19, 2018
northern Germany
I also had a Tatonka 4.25x4.25. The first rain in GB and my entire equipment got soaked wet. Tatonkas excuse : These tarps are sun-tarps. They are not made for rainy conditiins ;-)) But we used the Tatonka tarps for our survival trainings. It's nice to know that the trainees will get wet and cold so they have to react on this situation. And they learned something very important thanks Tatonka: Never trust your gear!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Um, never heard of them being sun tarps before! I've got the big tatonka in polycotton and it's been great.
My 3x3 ripped about a foot from the edge and tore down a strip about 5 feet long, I was very surprised, I've had it for a few years but it's not been neglected...

I've just ordered a couple of aqua quest tarps from Matt, we'll see how they do!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Same here. I have a Tatonka which has stood up to absolutely torrential rain a few times. You have to have it angled right for that kind of weather, but I remember once setting it up as shade, virtually flat, and coming back and seeing it dished and holding gallons of the rainwater that was pouring out of the sky - wasn't leaking though :)

Sorry to hear yours broke.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
as said befor the DD 4x4 is a great tarp giving you loads of space and durable jade mine for years great kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE