Baseball caps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I sometimes wear a skipped hat in good weather at work or when out walking/kayaking. Never gotten over feeling daft wearing one, but i feel dafter wearing sunglasses, and the hat usually blocks the sun enough anyway. Its also quite handy in hot weather to soak the hat, and then wear it. Cools me down a bit.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Green or brown bush hat for the sun, tried tilleys just look daft in them worse that baseball caps for me sadly. Keep a baseball cap in the car for the low sun days that has already been mentioned above. Quicker that getting sunglasses on

minds_eye

Aug 30, 2011
South West UK
I tend to wear one in the summer or inclement weather. I find that they take the glare, or keep the rain, off my glasses.

My preference is a battered old plain cotton North Face cap that looks ancient. This was my shooting staple, for trap, but the little knobbly it on top gets in the way of my ear defenders, so for that I use a TAD field cap.

The best I can say is try them on. There are different volumes that suit different head shapes. There’s not much avoiding looking like a bit of a scruff wearing one, mind. That said, my missus flat out refuses to let me wear a bush hat unless I’m 10 miles out of town ...

Reactions: Ruud

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
I wear baseball-caps all the time when I'm out. That way I don't need to apply sunscreen on the area above my eyes.
I apply DEET on the inside of the brim to keep bugs out of my face for the same reason. I hate it when the stuff gets in my eyes because of sweat dripping down.

As for the enforced hoods, I like the cap as I still have peripheral view instead of some sort of tunnel vision. I let the hood start where the brim ends (if that makes any sense, I speak Dutch).

The only downside to me is that my ears might still get sun-burnt at times (a spot I easily miss).

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I wear one with most of my waterproofs as the hoods are poorly designed or built for the military. I like Janne cringe at the headgear wearing inside, unnecessary.
I disliked it for years. Then I realized many people wear headgear indoors to cover unnatural baldness (such as chemo patients)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
90% of the time I wear a full brimmed hat of some type nowadays. Just which one depends on the weather and location (summer in Florida often means a straw or Panama hat while winter or inland more likely calls for my felt hat) But I still find lots of use for my tarp hat.

All that said, when on the road or around the neighborhoods in ordinary casual clothing a baseball cap really can't be beat. I like a flat cap but it's just too out of place most of the time (Too hot in summer unless you can afford a linen one or no real protection for poor weather)

What makes a good one? Like somebody already said, quality materials (cotton is best) and workmanship. The peak shape one comes with is irrelevant as you really shape that to your own tastes anyway

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE