How many eggs...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
No. Not the regs themselves Sorry, it was just a paragraph from the wiki article regarding pasteurized eggs. Here's the link to the wiki article enwikipedia.org/wiki/Pateurized_eggs and here's the relevant paragraph:
In Europe all hens are required to be vaccinated against salmonellosis and eggs are not washed or refrigerated since condensation could lead to salmonellosis contamination[7]. In the US it is important to keep eggs refrigerated since not all hens are vaccinated.

You had me worried - I’ve been laid up in bed for the last few days with what appears to be Aussie flu (although I have not been aware of an annoying upward inflexion at the end over every sneeze or cough! ;)) and have been using the time to get my head round all the regs and best practice guidance on livestock. Our modest flock is well below the limit for commercial laying operations but we do sell to elderly neighbours and I’m keen not to finish any of them off.

As far as I can tell, there are no EU regs specifically relating to vaccination against salmonella in laying hens - if there were, they would (for the time being a least), apply to the UK.

The guidance on salmonella in laying poultry which I’ve been reading issued by DEFRA (the UK Agriculture Ministry) Is a code summarising the legal requirements and setting out best practice for poultry hygiene etc etc and although (at para 10.3) it does mention using vaccination under veterinary guidance, there is no suggestion that vaccination is mandatory in UK flocks.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nt_data/file/342849/egg_laying_flocks_cop.pdf

That said, if commercial egg producers want to be part of the voluntary “red lion” quality scheme, vaccination against salmonella appears to be required.

https://www.egginfo.co.uk/british-lion-eggs

In practice many/most commercial laying flocks in the UK (and quite possibly elsewhere in the EU) are likely to be vaccinated but unless I have missed something (quite possible given the fuzzy state of my head), I can find nothing to suggest that flocks of any size in the UK and EU are required to be vaccinated against salmonella.

Reactions: santaman2000

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Where ? I've looked since someone mentioned it last time, and I haven't seen them. I thought it would be a great idea to pack for Himself when he goes camping.
Local supermarkets are Sainsbury's, Asda, Tesco, Morrison's, Lidl and the Co. and none of them had them.
In the end I just cracked half a dozen into a sealable beaker and put them into the cooler box.

M

Link to the whites in Sainsbury's. They're with the pastry and raw croissant dough products. I've seen whole eggs too.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/eggs--/two-chicks-liquid-egg-white-500g

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I found the whites before Christmas there, I presumed for meringues, but not the beaten whole egg stuff in a tetrapak or plastic bottle, and I had checked all the local supermarkets.
I wondered it you'd spotted them recently somewhere that I could just pick up a pack for Himself next time he's away camping.

Does the packed stuff need to be kept refrigerated ? eggs in shells don't so that's an advantage so long as one can keep the shell unbroken.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I found the whites before Christmas there, I presumed for meringues, but not the beaten whole egg stuff in a tetrapak or plastic bottle, and I had checked all the local supermarkets.
I wondered it you'd spotted them recently somewhere that I could just pick up a pack for Himself next time he's away camping.

Does the packed stuff need to be kept refrigerated ? eggs in shells don't so that's an advantage so long as one can keep the shell unbroken.

M

The tetrapaks I've seen are refrigerated. I'll have a look for whole eggs when I'm in there again. For camping and out and about I have a couple of plastic two egg carriers, for home I just use a jug or bowl, so I've never bought pre-mix. Camping, I'll chuck them in the pan and scramble them with a stick, bit of brown sauce and some bacon, good as anything.

Reactions: Toddy and Janne

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
We go through roughly a dozen eggs a week, although it can be more depending on what we cook.

I used to buy those liquid egg whites from Salisbury's to have in the morning for breakfast as an omelette, the flavour seemed very bland however without the yokes.

R.G. Barjey

Nov 19, 2010
Somerset
I have eighteen chickens and three ducks.
At the moment I pick up approximately twelve to fourteen chicken eggs and three duck eggs a day.
Once a week I boil three for work, I use a few in cakes. The rest I sell or give them to my neighbours or give to a charity I support on their cake making days.
You can`t get better than eating eggs that were laid that day.

R.G. Barjey

Nov 19, 2010
Somerset
Thanks for the replies. I'm aware you can freeze 'em although I'm not sure we'll eat pickled eggs. Ducks are on the list as I quite like duck eggs and they are good for baking. We'll probably need a pond for them though, so a bit more of a project.

I was thinking of 6 hybrids, so that may well be 3 dozen eggs a week between two. Selling/giving away is always possible but I'd like to use as many as we sensibly can as that would mean buying in less meat/dairy etc.

On that note, recipes and other ideas very welcome.
I have three Khaki Campbell ducks. Excellent layers and they don`t need a lot of water, though mine do have a half a plastic barrel cut longways to splash about in.
Some breeds of Duck only need enough water to wash their eyes out but I prefer something that they can get into.
Are you looking for recipes for the eggs or the ducks?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Recipes for eggs please. We've ended up with 5 hybrid hens, ones a bit poorly so not laying but the other 4 have laid an egg a day for the last few weeks so they're stacking up. Cakes, pancakes, omelets and tortillas are frequent meals so far and I'll look through this thread for more inspiration. One thing we have done is got some more herbs growing, to vary the omelets from meal to meal.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Start eggs in cold water on medium heat to simmer boil for 15 minutes. Cool, peel, rinse and fill a large jar (or three.)
Mix and heat the following:

2tbsp salt of your choice
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
liquid = 1/1 water/vinegar to make a volume of 1 liter.
( might have to make more)

>When that's cooled, fill the egg jar(s) and sprinkle 3 sliced cloves of garlic into each jar.
>Cap but not too tightly.

> into the back of the 'fridge for 30 days.
> sample
> replace the mustard-murky pickle juice with fresh BUT no mustard.
>> I don't notice that smalls pickle much faster than large. On your own, all in together.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Get cream, sugar, vanilla pods, good quality vodka.
Separate yolks from eggwhites.
Split vanilla pods in half.

Mix yolks, cream, vodka to your preference. ( more vodka - lasts better) Add sugar to taste. Stir until smooth and mixed.

Place one half vanilla pod in each bottle, fill up with the liquid.
Store in fridge a couple of weeks.
Enjoy your own Advocaat!

Eggwhites: make a fashionable omelettte.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
we go through quite a a few eggs, I'd say generally about 20 a week between 6 of us, but some weeks it's few if any and other weeks loads! We're lucky in that we've plenty of places around that we can just grab eggs and drop the money into the honest boxes. We used to have chickens but we got a bit tired of foxes and non laying and sorting them out while were away etc so we binned it after the last one died, it was a good experience that will allow us to have them again in the future if need be.

I had a couple this morning for breakfast!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've realised that it's not just about the number of eggs but with regularly laying hens it's the fact the numbers build up so if you miss a day or two suddenly you need to use 20 eggs rather than 5.

Anyway, poorly hen seems to have recovered so we're now on 5 eggs a day...

At least there are far less slugs and snails about now.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
We buy two of them egg boxes that hold eighteen eggs each week. So, an average of half a dozen a day. Kids!

Fried or boiled ... that's it, though. Sometimes an omelette, if I forget to stir :lol:

I do like eggs benedict with smoked salmon on a muffin though. And lots of coffee :) But, I prefer to pay someone to make it and clear up

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Ever tried sliced hardboiled eggs with Creamed Cod Roe ( IKEA) squeezed on top, on buttered Vasa Sourdough Rye crackerbread?

If you like veg put a sprig of Dill on top.

Classic Swedish food.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You can also put a dab of Mayo beside the Creamed Cod Roe.
If you are into Veganism, instead of the Mayo, put some Creamed Horseradish beside the CCR.

You can skin a cat in many ways!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE