Weird weather !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
We've been having weird weather this afternoon, unlike ive ever had. We had lighning last night/early morning for about 4 hours, with the associated rain and this afternoon the humidity was suffocating. Then the sky rumbled and rumbled and rumbled continuously without a break for half an hour, like a giant moving furniture. And then rain, torrential rain and hail for an hour and a half accompanied by sporadic big flashes of lightning and continuous strobing of far away lightning. Probably about 4 inches of rain, flooded the patio. Now i guess its back to the humidity. The rain has gone but the lightining is still going.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No lightning up here yet just rumbles and downpours. Grab the camera if the lightning is frequent. I use video then pick out the frames later.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
None here in West Sussex, though the London and Hampshire areas experienced epic thunderstorms.

Spectacular lightning strikes parts of UK http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44269304

It’s very bright, clear and sunny here now, not as humid as yesterday. The forecasters said the front would move north, so you’ve got our yesterday weather.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
We had an absolutely cracking storm last night.
Thunder, lightning, cats and dogs living together - utter madness reigned!
The best I've ever seen.

But nothing today except heat.

I do love a good storm. Hope we get another one tonight.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Looks like Northampton has been clobbered today with flash flooding.

I am in Kent and had a fantastic thunderstorm last night, manged to bag quiet a few photos as it went on for a couple of hours. Tonight its pretty clear, even had the telescope out and grabbed some images of Jupiter.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like Northampton has been clobbered today with flash flooding.

I am in Kent and had a fantastic thunderstorm last night, manged to bag quiet a few photos as it went on for a couple of hours. Tonight its pretty clear, even had the telescope out and grabbed some images of Jupiter.
Don't keep them to your self then :)

BJJJ

Native
Sep 3, 2010
North Shropshire
Thunder and lightning for hours with torrential rain in shropshire. I had a log fire going in a fire bowl and it was still alight after all that rain I was amazed that it wasn't waterlogged.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
Don't keep them to your self then :)

Just starting to learn astrophotography processing software, bit here is one of my first attempts.
mcbqjCy.jpg

Ve9KLmi.jpg

uxjNcRo.jpg

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Weird here too. We have had heavy rainfall for over a week now, pretty much several times a day.
Unusual!
We are getting a cloud area that starts in the Pacific, moves over Central America, then goes north over this island then north over Cuba and southern US.
The usual is that the low pressure areas start outside Africa and move with the trade Winds towards us. Tropical storms or hurricanes as a result.
For you guys this path usually results in storms.
I can see on the National hurricane Center website that you have a strong system moving over you, should continue for several days.

A busy hurricane season is predicted, the hurricanes result in storms over the UK and Scandinavia.

Be safe!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I tried a little "storm chasing." Every picture of lightning shows purple clouds. I wonder why that is.
Those uncommon pictures will look even better, framed and hanging on a wall. 8" x 10" or bigger.

Digital has to be a whole lot cheaper than analog color from the old days.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Ionisation of the air? I note that in high energy nuclear accidents a blue glow is observed and reported - thankfully vanishingly rare these days.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Even up here, we got video clips in the TV news of that UK electrical storm.
That was a match for the storms around the city of Regina, SK. I was impressed.

Every analog photograph that I ever made during any of the many violent prairie thunderstorms
always, always showed purple clouds. No digital sensors in a Rodenstock 210 mm lens on a 4" x 5" camera.
To see the purple in a digital image points to an environmental event.
It's clearly a transient event associated with a lightning discharge.

High energy, short wavelength end of the visible spectrum?
Must be weak not to see it in mid day unless dense cloud.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Purple light is emitted by nitrogen molecules in response to excitation by solar wind in auroras, but at lower altitudes. Could it be the same?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE