Athlete's Foot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jason Young

May 10, 2018
London, England
This is embarrassing. My right foot has been troubled for over 10 months. Doctor prescribed some antifungal pills and I've been trying all the creams.

It would look better and look almost like it's gone for a bit and after that I would get out for a few days, when I get back and take of my shoes, it gets badly red and it starts all over again. Every time it comes back it gets worse.

Anybody out there dealt with the same problem and know how to get rid of it for good?

Thanks in advance. It really is my life problem now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A chiropodist friend of my father's advised me to wipe down my feet - morning and evening - with cotton wool, dampened with surgicalspirit, when I suffered with the foot rot almost permanently.
Start when the anti-fungals have done their magic. Wear woolen socks with minimal synthetic content, avoid all synthetic fibre socks - no matter how "Hi Tec" they are.
This advice has stood me in good stead - the only times I have had the foot rot since have been when I have been away from home and did not want to pack jugs of the SS. Foot powder helps, creams help - and I have even used stove meths at times - but nothing beats the twice daily application of SS.
This was some 30 years ago and I still follow the advice....
I hope it works for you too!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Agree with John.

Increase your hygiene. Wash the feet with medicated soap twice or even three times a day, then do what John says.
Socks - change daily. Thin, airy cotton.
Shoes - loose fit, airy. Now in summer, a pair of oldfashioned sandals?
Change between shoes, let them dry out properly.

Reactions: Jason Young

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I used to have Athlete's Foot, to the point where the skin would split quite deeply between my toes and it was really painful. One thing I found was changing my socks mid-way through the day helped a lot. Washing my feet whenever they felt hot helped too (not always possible). Swapping between shoes so I never wore the same shoes two days in a row; I also like the idea of leaving the shoes in the sun (not always possible in the UK climate, but sunlight has an anti-fungal property, or so I've been told). I also smear under and between my toes daily with Savlon and this seems to help a lot. Best of luck.

Jason Young

May 10, 2018
London, England
A chiropodist friend of my father's advised me to wipe down my feet - morning and evening - with cotton wool, dampened with surgicalspirit, when I suffered with the foot rot almost permanently.
Start when the anti-fungals have done their magic. Wear woolen socks with minimal synthetic content, avoid all synthetic fibre socks - no matter how "Hi Tec" they are.
This advice has stood me in good stead - the only times I have had the foot rot since have been when I have been away from home and did not want to pack jugs of the SS. Foot powder helps, creams help - and I have even used stove meths at times - but nothing beats the twice daily application of SS.
This was some 30 years ago and I still follow the advice....
I hope it works for you too!

Thank you John. I was under the impression that the alcohol in SS might irritate the skin and make it worse so I never thought of it. I'll give it a go.
You've also made a good point about synthetic socks. Thought the good ones were more breathable than wool so I thought they were fine.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nothing beats wool for ANY kind of clothing :)
The original Miracle Fibre - have you ever seen a sheep with Athletes Back?
I understand that the Spirit dries the skin thus reducing the moistness and making it harder for the fungi to establish itself.
Tristan Jones - the great solo sailor and writer (look him up for some great travel writing) used powdered chalk for the same effect when he had nowt else...

Reactions: boubindica

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
  • I found that some types of shoe were worse than others. Any that gave me the problem were binned!
  • I got rid of synthetic sock of all descriptions
  • During the warmer months I let the air around my feet as much as possible.
  • I use Grandpa's soap, which seems to help with all sorts of skin problems and itchy bits.
  • Paddle in the sea whenever possible, no matter how cold it is.
I hope some of this at least helps.

Dave

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
As John hinted, dry is probably more important than clean - OK, clean is important but if you don't get thoroughly dry after you'll not stop it.

No need for embarrassment; I suspect most people that have spent time trekking/walking/camping have suffered from one form or another of fungal infection.

Clotrimazole/Canesten I have found to be the most effective cream treatment.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Tea Tree Oil is also excellent I find. you can get bottles of the stuff neat on ebay and the likes, and its fairly easy to mix it up with some kind of dilluttant (e.g. olive oil) and paint/spray it on quickly.

I know how much hassle looking after feet can be when you are out and about for a few days - the easier you can make footcare, the more likely you are to do it. For example, giving your spare socks a really good dusting of athletes foot powder on their insides before packing them for a trip - so that it is already there when you swap your socks over. If you can, a zip lock bag filled with footpowder can help deliver an instant dose of the stuff to an immersed foot!

Remember that your footwear and insoles are probably heavily infected with the fungus, and any time spent wearing them will re-infect your feet, so look at antifungal (and potentially, anti bacterial) sprays etc for the inside of your boots too. Tea tree oil is, i believe, both anti fungal and anti bacterial and is a rather powerful one at that.

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I stick the foot powder you can buy directly in to my socks before putting them on. Stopped all my issues but developed a headache from the Mrs giving me a slap for leaving white foot prints everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: boubindica

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
I suffered this for years, tried a number of creams, impatiently expecting a miracle cure. It takes time to get rid of it properly, and the main thing that made it worse for me was the itch. It 'had' to be scratched. Obviously made it a lot worse, spreading to the other foot. Even to my thumb nail, which ended up looking like it was ready to fall off.
Lamisil tablets sorted it all in the end. But not before I started getting severe chest pains as a side effect, which because I had no idea what it was, and didn't assosiate it with the lamisil, brought a whole other type of problem. Anyway, hang in there and do as others, say above, its all good for the battle against it. Oh, and try not to scratch it.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
To avoid getting infected:
Never walk barefooted on floors other walk barefooted on, specially in areas of high humidity like changing rooms, saunas, Turkish baths, public pools.

To avoid infecting other people: See above. Keep your toe nails short. Keep to the medication as prescribed, for full term.
Creams like Canasten: Use for several weeks after symptoms disappear

Jason Young

May 10, 2018
London, England
I suffered this for years, tried a number of creams, impatiently expecting a miracle cure. It takes time to get rid of it properly, and the main thing that made it worse for me was the itch. It 'had' to be scratched. Obviously made it a lot worse, spreading to the other foot. Even to my thumb nail, which ended up looking like it was ready to fall off.
Lamisil tablets sorted it all in the end. But not before I started getting severe chest pains as a side effect, which because I had no idea what it was, and didn't assosiate it with the lamisil, brought a whole other type of problem. Anyway, hang in there and do as others, say above, its all good for the battle against it. Oh, and try not to scratch it.

Thanks man. The ITCH really is the problem. It's just always itchy no matter my foot is wet or too dry. :cry: How long did you have to take the Lamisil for? I took anti fungul before as I said it did help but it keeps coming back :frown:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks man. The ITCH really is the problem. It's just always itchy no matter my foot is wet or too dry. :cry: How long did you have to take the Lamisil for? I took anti fungul before as I said it did help but it keeps coming back :frown:

Did two courses of lamisil, if I remember correctly. Its potent stuff, much more effective than the powder and creams, which in my case was just short term relief. Even cured my thumb nail, which looked like an orc's claw from tolkiens universe.

Reactions: Jason Young

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Soak them in water with a bit of potassium permanganate. It'll turn your nails brown and give a tan look to the skin but it'll kill anything cheesy dead in short order.

Air them out whenever possible, powder them regularly, stuff like mycil is good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE