Knife Scale Failure - Advice Wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bionic

Forager
Mar 21, 2018
Bomber county
Fair point but given that they’re a softish metal if they’re centre dotted first it shouldn’t be to taxing for anyone with an engineering/mechanical background. It’s a pretty routine job even if success isn’t a given, as I said there’s not a lot to lose by trying ;)

Reactions: Totumpole
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Pins can be drilled out with just a pillar drill, clap it well and start the hole with a encrusted diamond tool (like the dremel bit's) once past any surface angle that could cause wander you can then switch to a normal bit.

Reactions: Totumpole

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
For the black handle one. Have you tried giving the white bloom a gentle scrub? That will often get rid of it.

I had been at it with some 800 grit wet & dry paper. I wasn't happy the surface of the repair was without cracks & gaps so I went back and repeated the process. I went a bit harder on the sanding his time and then polished it up with my usual beeswax/turps/linseed wood polish and it looks a great deal better. Can only see a very faint bit of white where the glue is filling the defect now. Very happy with it.

If the cracks had been wider and epoxy could have been a choice:
Get some epoxy up into a plastic soda straw. Pinch the end flat.
Weasel the flattened end into the crack and roll up the other end to force the epoxy to flow into the crack.

Dark-colored repairs are least visible. I use JB Weld. carve off the squeeze-out tomorrow.

That sounds like an excellent trick! I'll keep that one in mind in future. Would have been ideal for the gap on the condor, but I think the gap on the ben orford was about the width of a sheet of per, so would never have gotten the end of a pinched straw in there.

Pins can be drilled out with just a pillar drill, clap it well and start the hole with a encrusted diamond tool (like the dremel bit's) once past any surface angle that could cause wander you can then switch to a normal bit.

Thats good to know if I need to go down that track at any point. A pillar drill is on my ever growing shopping list!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I carve with the crooked knives so common here in the Pacific Northwest.
I buy blades or I revise beat-up farrier's knives into magnificent carving tools.
Many times, I use JB Weld epoxy to make a goof-proof joint when I surface-haft a blade (PacNW style)
I'm not easy on tools. I've broken elbow adze handles.

JBWeld epoxy joints have _never_ let go. They are a right booger to take apart.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I carve with the crooked knives so common here in the Pacific Northwest.
I buy blades or I revise beat-up farrier's knives into magnificent carving tools.
Many times, I use JB Weld epoxy to make a goof-proof joint when I surface-haft a blade (PacNW style)
I'm not easy on tools. I've broken elbow adze handles.

JBWeld epoxy joints have _never_ let go. They are a right booger to take apart.

I JB welded a small crack in an engine block a few years back as a desperation fix, spot drilled either end and ground the crack into a V groove.
Plan was to properly weld it when possible but JB weld has been good as gold since so I left it.

It’s great stuff

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
You boys sure worry about little stuff. If you look at some of our knives you'd have heart burn.
Ho for sure Jo! we can be guilty of such things, once I was glad a knife was sharp and worked, if the handle got a bit free you just bind it, now I can get a bit precious myself!........too much easy living!:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE