Ultimate vehicle for your ultimate adventure?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
The one in Nairobi needed a transmission part which was apparently unobtainable new - ironic as the driver was from Austria and IIRC the 4x4 system is made by Steyr Puch in Austria. It was a while ago and things may have improved.

My mate was looking for a fuel pipe for a petrol Synchro which would be a few £ on a normal T25 but he is going to have to have one custom made.

I do miss my old Kombi.

Yeah thats right the 4x4 system was made by Puch. Maybe parts are more easily attainable now or he wasn't looking in the right places. I'm not to familiar with petrol Syncros as I run a diesel. Is he is running a different engine to standard as thats quite common in a lot of the vans. If he's still trying to get it sorted drop me a PM with the details of what hes after and I'll see if theres anything I can do to help a fellow Syncro owner out.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Really? I've had no issues from the Namib desert to well into the Arctic!
For me V8's are too thirsty for long desert treks; I've never failed to complete a trek for lack of power or torque :)
Each to their own though.
Yep, I just love the sound and thrust!

K

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
http://www.seahopperfoldingboats.com/

And you can get it inside a small car...

Glad you brought up the subject of boats... "vehicle" covers any method of moving something!

My ultimate vehicle (which I lucky enough to already own) is a kayak. Although a kayak is a kayak, I'll have to be more specific and call it a sea-kayak so as not to confuse it with other boats that share the name. I can get to all the places I need to be (although sometimes a car or bike is more convenient, although not always). Possibly the ultimate boat in terms of sea-worthiness, and a great way to move gear when travelling. Ultimate adventure? It could be anywhere along the west coast of Scotland, I'm slowly ticking off sections of it. Possibly further afield, a polar coastal adventure maybe?

Reactions: Nomad64

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Here's a pic, you can just make out my kayak on the beach, I can't reveal where. It's a 4 hour paddle from the nearest convenient launch point. It would otherwise be a long drive and from the road a very long walk - foolish to even attempt on foot! A lovely place to get away from it all, as most people can't get there!

To the right is a small wooded valley, mostly oak. Enough dead wood for a thousand campfires. A waterfall and stream. A few small caves. Not sure about food, but plenty of deer in the area and the sea is nearby. Could maybe cultivate the land!

A great bolt-hole for the apocalypse, or otherwise a fine spot for an ultimate adventure in the meantime!

50be8483eaa0b2d8f899ecbc42ca988e.jpg

Reactions: CLEM

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
My retirement plan is to get a cheap winter bolt hole in Spain (Brexit allowing) and a good quality bland looking van for traveling around Europe in the better weather, sleeping it it if needed and camping out where you can.

I have still to put this plan to my OH and am not holding my breath. Although I know she would for a nice bolt hole in the sun

Reactions: Janne

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Yeah thats right the 4x4 system was made by Puch. Maybe parts are more easily attainable now or he wasn't looking in the right places. I'm not to familiar with petrol Syncros as I run a diesel. Is he is running a different engine to standard as thats quite common in a lot of the vans. If he's still trying to get it sorted drop me a PM with the details of what hes after and I'll see if theres anything I can do to help a fellow Syncro owner out.

That’s very kind offer but I’m pretty sure he ended up getting someone to fabricate the bit he needed.

AFAIK, it’s a stock engine but does have an LPG conversion to offset the awful fuel consumption.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
That’s very kind offer but I’m pretty sure he ended up getting someone to fabricate the bit he needed.

AFAIK, it’s a stock engine but does have an LPG conversion to offset the awful fuel consumption.

Yeah the petrol engines can be really thirsty, I’ve heard people saying they’re getting under 20MPG. With the Diesel engine I’m running (1.9 TD AAZ) I’m getting 30-35 MPG which is about the same if not a little better than my Defender.

Reactions: Nomad64

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
srod & others: if you've found a nice patch of sandy coast, plan on cultivating shell fish.
They mostly look after themselves and their home designs are practically invisible.
The beds mean a nearly guaranteed food source when every you come by.

Study the ways of the Pacific Northwest First Nations people. They have 10,000+ years of experience.
Haida, Tlingit, Tsimshian and down the coast to the Kwakwaka'Wakw and the others who live around the Salish Sea.
You might find the Kwakwaka'Wakw listed as Kwakiutl, but that's their name for the language that they speak.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Well I have a plan to move the pig on and in its place.........Yamaha Raptor 700R, suzi LT500R etc basically a sports quad with the biggest most simple engine I can find, I can load it for two and it can do roads, rough lanes, trails, tracks and open ground and I would like to roam as much of this Island as I can.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
The Tgb 11 ( 4x4) is difficult to find these days. The Tgb 13 ( 6x6) virtually impossible.

The best way to find one is on the swedish site Blocket.
If I had the funds I'd hunt one down for sure. Awsome vehicles. I love em

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
As an officer I had access to both the 11 and 13, and could use them privately (after asking) during the weekends I was off duty.
Me and a couple of fellow young officers used to take a couple and drive 350 kilometers to the nearest town and have fun and spend our money.
I recall the 13 was far more fuel thirsty and louder than the 11, but nicer on the road, more stable.

I have always wanted one, but now when I can afford what I want it is virtually impossible to find a mint one.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
As an officer I had access to both the 11 and 13, and could use them privately (after asking) during the weekends I was off duty.
Me and a couple of fellow young officers used to take a couple and drive 350 kilometers to the nearest town and have fun and spend our money.
I recall the 13 was far more fuel thirsty and louder than the 11, but nicer on the road, more stable.

I have always wanted one, but now when I can afford what I want it is virtually impossible to find a mint one.

Keep searching mate, you'll find one and it'll be epic when you do

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I am. I know they release some from time to time, that have been preserved and in storage.

I also know they still have some RR Meteor engines stored.

I check a bunch of Swedish websites twice a week.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I’m building one now. I think the key thing for me is having dry space, I had thought about a hilux with roof tent but then there is no space to get changed and dry out etc when soaked.

So I bought a 4x4 sprinter van, I have had it through mud and horrible stuff and it went really well, so it’s now my plan to travel around Scotland with it and see more of the country I work in, I mean live in.

https://instagram.com/p/BU5P7yXlF8i/

The body is completed and outside and I have driven enough to ensure it’s mechanically sound, now I have to start the internal conversion, that is where it gets expensive!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE