SAWYER MINI FILTER

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
The Sawyer MINI Water Filter is rated to 0.1 micron absolute, weighs only 2 ounces, and filters up to 100,000 gallons of water! The MINI can be attached to the included collapsible drinking pouch, inline on a hydration pack, on a standard soda bottle, or simply use the included drinking straw to drink directly from the water source. How is that for versatility? Like all Sawyer filters, a proper backwashing can restore up to 98.5% of the filter’s flow rate. That means no expensive cartridges to replace, ever...

* Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness...

* The MINI removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; removes 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium...

* High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand, weighs 2 ounces and filters up to 100,000 gallons (30 times more than comparable filters)...

* Attaches to included drinking pouch, standard disposable bottles (28 mm thread), hydration packs, or use the straw to drink directly from your water source...

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
There's a fundamental difference between filtration and purification.

A water filter is not the same as a water purification system.

Ultimately it really depends on the water source , when establishing if water filtration is sufficient...

A spring will carry severely less risks than a stream , river or indeed a pond.

The variables are extensive, but its too long a post to explain in detail.

So I'll just share this video of the excellent Paul Kirtley where he dives into the finer details and fundamentals.

Hope it helps

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have heard that fine suspended sediment tends to clog the Mini and even after back flushing, the throughput is never a good again. That was in a jungle environment with river water.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought the mini filter when in the US it was less than $20 in a sale but haven't used it. I have a millbank bag I can use on it before I use the Sawyer.

Burncycle

Jan 17, 2005
US
The mini filter is good for oocysts like cryptosporidium (which are harder to kill chemically but easiest to filter out), and common bacteria that may cause illness, but does not filter viruses.

If you happen to be in an area that's heavily populated or a well used park, it's possible that's a concern, though I know many people dismiss it. To be absolutely sure boiling or chemical means by chlorine dioxide based tablets would cover all bases.

The mini has no activated carbon prefilter, so it may not necessarily improve the taste but it doesn't mean it isn't still filtering. Prefiltering with a Millbank bag will help with clogging on the mini.

Of course YMMV, and it doesn't get into other non-biological contaminants.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I'm just going to leave this here...

http://drinksafe-systems.co.uk/

British company, defines and distinguishes between filtration and purification systems.

On their purification system:

Reduction of chemicals , VOCs and heavy metal contamination as well as elimination of the usual bacterial and viral contaminants.
Foolproof safety mechanism.
Their products are great and priced reasonably.

A replacement filter is less than £20

I'm not affiliated , just a happy customer.

Reactions: boubindica

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I've had a look at the drinksafe site again this morning, having done so a couple of times before, and ended up feeling the same way, they may well have great products but the presentation and website are abysmal and confusing :( Although I suspect I might be keen on what they offer I just find it very confusing and unclear as to what they are offering, for what uses, what it looks like and general sales type information to make it easy to understand and to buy.

May just be me of course ! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE