Day Out West Highland Way: Highland Fling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Not a regular day out ramble, but I'll be having a go at the Highland Fling Ultra Run between Milngavie and Tyndrum, running along the first part of the west highland way this Saturday 28th (along with a few hundred others).
I've walked and canoed at Loch Lomond, but this'll be different!
If anyone from the forum is on the Way on Saturday, look out for number 166: a red faced guy puffing along..

Reactions: bopdude

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Well it was going well till Beinglas, and i got timed by 5mins out at 66km with 19km to go! But the cut offs are there for safety (still gutted) it was a great event and I’ll try again next year.. id learned a lot so should be better! The lochside between inversnaid and beinglas was very technical, boulders, rocks and routes, with bonus mud and streams

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That sounds rather manic, to be honest. Life experience though :D Very well done getting so far and still being in one piece too :) How are the legs and hips feeling today ?
Planning ahead sounds hopeful though.

M

Reactions: JohnC

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
EF3B1314-15E2-4BB9-900C-1EC87C818BF9.jpeg
Part of the east route, we saw someone being taken off by boat near here after a fall..

B0FCA992-8C7E-4757-AA23-FF9229E6C789.jpeg
Short walk this morning near tyndrum to get breakfast...

5CA118EE-67BA-4520-B4CC-DD0C4F8E3D19.jpeg
Heading down to Balmaha through the woods

Legs not too bad today! Filling up on food and water now, 6000+ calories burned according to my watch app, so pizza tonight.
It was a beautiful day, great scenery and the run was tought but enjoyable... spoke to others who timed out and it was the technical section we hadnt prepared for!!

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
View attachment 48845
Part of the east route, we saw someone being taken off by boat near here after a fall..

View attachment 48846
Short walk this morning near tyndrum to get breakfast...

View attachment 48844
Heading down to Balmaha through the woods

Legs not too bad today! Filling up on food and water now, 6000+ calories burned according to my watch app, so pizza tonight.
It was a beautiful day, great scenery and the run was tought but enjoyable... spoke to others who timed out and it was the technical section we hadnt prepared for!!

The WHW is my favourite long distance walk, completed it 4 times now, all over 5 days, and done various sections of it for good one day walks.

The section on day 2 between Inversnaid and Bienglas farm is without a doubt the hardest section of the whole walk, and still catches me out every time....seem to think it will be easier next time...and it never is!

The good lady and I were out last Thursday and walked the section between Tyndrum and Inverarnan, first time walking it north to south. This section is handy because it is along the Glasgow to Fort William road, and you can park the car at The Drovers Inn and get the bus to Tyndrum and then walk back to the car.

It’s about 13 miles, and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for a decent walk with some fantastic scenery around Crianlarich, and a nice lunch in The Drovers Inn to end your walk!

Thanks,
Allan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Toddy and JohnC

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Beautiful scenery there mate, especially that place where you say someone got picked up after a fall ...
What a spectacular view.
Thanks for sharing and well done

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE