Seller Refusing Refund

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Hello all,

A recent purchase, described as being 'Used but in great condition'. Failed to mentioned the rust and poorly fitted replacement handle and is refusing refund. Also turned up in a bin bag with a thin sheet of cardboard on the head for packaging.

Will be going to PayPal, if that doesn't work I will take it to Small Claims Court.

Shows just how careful you need to be...

Cameron

P1010240.JPG P1010239.JPG P1010241.JPG P1010244.JPG P1010245.JPG P1010246.JPG P1010249.JPG P1010244.JPG P1010250.JPG P1010252.JPG P1010253.JPG

Last edited:

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I am always very careful to look at the photos - you never know!

I remember a US based film poster dealer on EBay who labels everything ad in 'great condition. I did ask about one poster, which had a huge water stain on it - apparently it was still in 'great condition!

Reactions: WealdenWoodsman

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Looks exactly like the axe in the for sale thread... The surface rust was very visible and doesn't look any worse although a wee coat of oil wouldn't have gone a miss... Is the "poorly fitted replacement handle" loose? How do you know it's a replacement, I assume he told you it was. If not loose, a £40 saving over new is worth a few rust spots and it looks liked the packaging worked just fine. I would quite happily use that if the handle is secure, wouldn't take too much to make it pretty again if you feel the need.

In saying that, you are obviously not happy, I personally would offer you a refund but would expect you to pay the cost of postage and cost of return.

Work it out fellas, it's not really worth a fight.

Cheers
Alan

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Make sure before you go through Paypal you've sent all those pics through Ebay as a dispute and make a screenshot of the item description

That way you can supply them to PP as evidence you've tried all proper channels

WealdenWoodsman

Forager
Oct 10, 2017
place
Looks exactly like the axe in the for sale thread... The surface rust was very visible and doesn't look any worse although a wee coat of oil wouldn't have gone a miss... Is the "poorly fitted replacement handle" loose? How do you know it's a replacement, I assume he told you it was. If not loose, a £40 saving over new is worth a few rust spots and it looks liked the packaging worked just fine. I would quite happily use that if the handle is secure, wouldn't take too much to make it pretty again if you feel the need.

In saying that, you are obviously not happy, I personally would offer you a refund but would expect you to pay the cost of postage and cost of return.

Work it out fellas, it's not really worth a fight.

Cheers
Alan

I think you are missing the point. The handle is very obviously replaced (he did not tell me nor was it on the advert), you can see very clearly from the image. The wedge has been hammered by hand and has shattered before it could be driven home, the metal wedge is sitting proud of the wood. You just have to compare it to another Gransfors axe...

The fit and finish is very poor (see images) and the head is off to one side then you look down the handle.

As for looking for a refund, it is more principle than anything else. Maybe I have higher standards than you but if I sell something I ALWAYS point out any defect/damage and if someone is unhappy offer a full refund. I gave him multiple opportunities to do so and each time he refused.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would think it good form to offer a refund if it was a private sale.

On the flip side, that surface rust is nothing and would wipe off with a little 2in1 and some wool. The fitting of the handle, i have seen worse straight from the factory. I would flatten the wedge and wax any gaps. The splinters i would trim and be done with.

Depends on how much you paid for it.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've looked back at the listing. I can see the rust in the pictures quite clearly and also the curls in the handle. The packaging looks like it did the job. Tricky thing to package if you're not used to it.

Sure it's not buyers remorse?

Reactions: Chainsaw

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Nah don't think I am. I can't see anything that tells me the handle has been clearly replaced. The metal wedge although a little proud looks like its in one piece and wooden wedges do sometimes split due to the forces when you bang the metal wedge in. As dwardo says we've all seen worse when selecting my own SFA and splitting axe from the shop, the guy even took one away and put it in the back it was so bad. The wooden wedge on my Cegga is a little deformed from the circular metal wedge but it does it's job just fine.

So the haft was maybe replaced and I'm guessing is not loose? My 'lower standards' would have me tidy it up and start using it but I prefer my Cegga. :)

I would also offer you a refund but I'm not the seller.

Good luck fella,
Alan

PS all, it was bought on here for £60.

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The risk of buying unseen. Or seen only on a screen!
Does the seller write it is a replacement handle?

The scratches are imo within acceptable level, rust spots maybe not. But easily removed.
No leather protection/sheath?

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I see the condition is clear in the photo, condition is visual as much as description, if there had been cracks in the head and haft and not made plain to the buyer that's kind of different, and is that a fair price for what it is?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I don’t think there is anything untoward or misleading in that listing. It has been used and the edge and head are in fine shape and fit for purpose . The rust is quite clearly visible in the listing, and let’s face it, cosmetic. The handle doesn’t look like it’s been replaced to me, I’ve seen new axes with exactly that splitting and wedging. The packaging damage is quite grim, but has been done by Royal Mail.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Why not just sell it on? Even from your description it looks worth the money. Save yourself the hassle and chalk it up to experience. If you get a refund the seller has lost the postage money, you've lost money sending it back to him. No one wins. Tidy it up a bit and you could even make a bit of profit on it.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Probably not what the OP (WW) wants to hear but personally, I'd say they got what was in the advert!

Not wanting to sound mean, I have to echo what some of the other members have stated, get it to your own liking or flog it on. We all make mistakes, easy done.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Why not just sell it on? Even from your description it looks worth the money. Save yourself the hassle and chalk it up to experience. If you get a refund the seller has lost the postage money, you've lost money sending it back to him. No one wins. Tidy it up a bit and you could even make a bit of profit on it.

Check the OP's signature line.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
What do you think it's worth? Give us reasons for your answer.

A serviceable 2nd hand head has to be worth 45 quid. And paypal fees are 10 % if I recall accuratley

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Reactions: KenThis
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE