Retro Berghaus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've gradually been reducing my collection, mainly of the cedar green models.

Having already picked up a blue Munro:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146377&highlight=munro

36554159964_a0d412e7a1_c.jpg

I spotted this beauty, the Berghaus Scorpion:

38035722166_7c0a4d4925_c.jpg

24236082608_6a0d1a6e71_c.jpg

Twodogs had already done the hard work with his canvas crusader and the reply from Berghaus is below (my bold):

Thank you for your patience in our response.

The Cyclops Crusader was launched in 1986/7, several years after the Falkland War (1982) and was in nylon. We have no record of the Crusader made in canvas so we would be interested in seeing photos and possibly obtaining for the museum.
The Crusader was a military version of the Cyclops Scorpion which was available a few years before the Crusader but again only in nylon.
The Cyclops Roc was made much earlier and was available in canvas in it's early years and in the early 80's was available in both fabrics for the consumer to choose.

Kind Regards
The Berghaus Team

For a doddering old git it's not doing too bad..... neither's the pack:p

Last edited:

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
Those are the same buckles as on my Cyclops Crusader, which are now about buggered, but still useable. It has just returned from another op tour. I might now have to send it to Lancashire repair people to get it looked at.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
They're gorgeous mate. Think of me if you decide you've got too many munro side pockets cluttering the place up :)

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
They're gorgeous mate. Think of me if you decide you've got too many munro side pockets cluttering the place up :)
I'm pretty sure I saw some Munro side pockets ( not green) when I popped into Endicott's in Exeter last week. They do mail/web ordering too...(no connection other than as a satisfied customer)

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I'm pretty sure I saw some Munro side pockets ( not green) when I popped into Endicott's in Exeter last week. They do mail/web ordering too...(no connection other than as a satisfied customer)

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks for that, Endicott's have had them in more or less constantly for the last couple of years, Martin probably needs the cash for meths though.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Sweet. Baby. Jesus, it's a veritable berghaus smorgasbord (many many points in Scrabble), loving the purple mate, quite queenly: suits you.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Cool! there a nice pack, mine looks like your scorpion but I have hard patch's on mine and its in olive, I wonder can you still get the scissor clips and hard patch straps.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Cool! there a nice pack, mine looks like your scorpion but I have hard patch's on mine and its in olive, I wonder can you still get the scissor clips and hard patch straps.

Mine has hard patch straps above the removable side pouches, with the ski holders below.

Spare ones are still out there.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Mine has hard patch straps above the removable side pouches, with the ski holders below.

Spare ones are still out there.

I have those top and bottom under the side pouches like yours but I think not the ski holder and I have the same on the pouches, not found much use for them but there great for strapping the odd tool on too.

Last edited:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Dammit! This has resurrected the misery I experienced - and now continue to experience - when I didn't buy a Cyclops Roc all those years ago. I would still like one, even now, as the Cyclops back system suited me perfectly and the pack was superb! Aaaaaargh!

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Dammit! This has resurrected the misery I experienced - and now continue to experience - when I didn't buy a Cyclops Roc all those years ago. I would still like one, even now, as the Cyclops back system suited me perfectly and the pack was superb! Aaaaaargh!

They do come up on ebay, thinks there's a couple atm iirc

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Retro berghaus? Coincidence but i ended up scrolling through a foreign language version of a kind of Pinterest blog on vintage berghaus. They did some very bright colour schemes in the 80s/ early 90s.

I was looking for a picture of a truly excellent pack in my collection dating from late 80s / early 90s. Trouble is I can't remember if it's called extrem alpin/alpine and I can't find an image of it. Yellow and blue with IIRC 50 litres expanded up to 65 litres. A classic alpine style sack bought for backpacking with less kit. I was looked at by the store owner like I was mad because you couldn't carry a full backpacking load without a 3+kg fully specced out bag.

I was looking at going lightweight and small pack size with my kit. Ran out of money so didn't use it for years but when I got back into it that sack was the bees knees. I reckon it was about 5 or more years before the lightweight craze really hit over here and sacks got a lot lighter without a lot of the useless extras that got put on sacks.

If anyone knows the real model name and have a photograph of one I'd be interested

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
hey Paul,
Was it the Ice Star? They did a yellow one with blue z side straps. I think they only did it for a season or 2, but always wanted one, but could never find one once i had saved the cash.
No I know it was Extrem branded. A classic, no nonsense climbers sack. Minimal padding and two removable alloy staves forming a cross with a bolt / rotating rivet at the crossing point (around shoulder height . You bent into shapes but I never did. In fact it was agony when I first used it loaded so I ended up leaving it for 5+ years. When I used it again I put 28kg load in it and suffered. Then I used it again with 18kg in it and it was suddenly comfortable. I think the heavy weight most have bent the alloy staves into shape.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE