psoriasis Natural remedies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think, no I know, that there are plants, and things like animal toxins, etc., which can really affect our bodies.
I know that if the gut is upset then the knock on effect on the body can be really quite miserable.
I know our immune systems can become over sensitised, and can attack the body instead of an invader organism.
I know that the mind is a powerful thing and can greatly increase our efforts to let the body heal itself.
I know that some people are a very great kindness when we are unwell and needing a boost in the right direction.

The trick is to get it all working to our advantage, reliably, every time.

I don't think we're there yet.

M

Reactions: Nice65

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Did he get an urge to place his head in a sand pit after the treatment?

Joints heal slowly, cartilage is badly vascularized.
Took me 35 years to realize mine would never heal, so I had it operated on last year....

Should have tried the Emu Oil first. Maybe wrapping a few cristals around it for an effect boost?

( You guys are hilarious. Humankind will soon send people to Mars and you believe in snakeoil salesmen..........)

Because no modern commercial drug was ever created using natural sources. I wonder how much rainforest with all its many potential cancer cures was destroyed so man can waste money and resources on going to Mars?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
With respect, a very large number of modern drugs are developed using natural sources. Plants, animals.
First they investigate the effectivness, then after a massive research into toxicity, dose, sideeffects (using researchers all around the globe ) they synthetize it, and market it.

Many people see the Pharma industry as something bad and evil, but that is not so.
Without them our average life span would be around 40 years. Most of us would die in childhood.
Diseases like Psoriasis would be untreatable.

You have taken antibiotics? Several times since you were born? Every infection those cured was potentially fatal.
Immunization?
TB was endemic in England, not anymore.
Malaria was endemic. Syphilis. Gonorrhea. Another couple of hundred diseases too.

Cancer?
Some cancers like Leukemia are curable. Some not (yet) but the medication prolongs your life, and gives you a certain quality of life..

The Amazonas are being chopped down because people there need farm land. We did the same in Europe.
Can we blame people wanting to feed their families?

Do you realize how much around us we have because of the Space race in the 1950-70's?

Reactions: Bionic

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I was referring to the mining in the Amazon more than the farming.

The pharma industry is an amazing thing but it's run by people who'll happily watch you die if you don't have the money for their drugs. Lets not pretend that ethics are a big consideration there.

You're happy that drugs can come from natural resources but consider all natural resources as 'snake oil' because the snake didn't have glaxosmithkline written on it? Research into homeopathy is underfunded but growing and consistantly shows treatments that are effective. You'd have to be pretty blinkered to dismiss its potential.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is Snakeoil as no reaseearch has shown any effect whatsoever.
Only one person, owner of the website where the oil is pushed for its excellence, tells you about how good it is.
He sells worthless crap to make money. Pharma sell meds that work, and make money.

Eric Bakker, N.D. ?
Google him. Read his ideas. That guy is a typical internet based charlatan that should be stopped.

On his website, The Psoriasis Program, read the Disclaimer.
I did.

N. D. It stands for Naturopathic Doctor. It is a discipline that does not exist in UK and many countries.

To call yourself a ‘doctor’ is a nice way to make people trust you.

Check it out, start with Wikipedia.

Many alternative practices have at least some notion of evidence based thinking.
Naturopathy - zero.

Last edited:

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Thanks for this thread. My wife suffers and it makes her miserable as she loves the sun but covers up due to embarrassment. Hopefully she can try some of these. I just want to see her happy again. Hers started after she had our kids which is hard to understand. Maybe it's the stress of being a parent

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Just to put it in persepective: pharma research tends to go symptom - cure - result. Any side effects can then be treated with more drugs as that = more money.

Go to the docs with psoriasis and he'll give you a wonderfully effective steroid creme that will show results within a week or so. In 2 weeks your skin will be so thin you will start cutting yourself just by brushing past things. Then you have to stop using the creme and the symptoms flare back up worse than before. Go see doc and repeat.

Or you take a different approach and try and tackle the cause of the problem as well as alleviating symptoms. You decide not to use chemicals that react badly with your body. It takes a lot longer because you arent using fancy refined drugs but the results are clear.

And remember that pharma research takes inspiration from the properties of natural materials, analyses it, refines it then finds a way to produce it industrially, hopefully artificially, cheaply and reliably. The result doesnt mean the original source is snake oil though.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Lots of natural remedies or treatments work for psoriasis. Sun exposure, salty mud treatments, tar preparation.

They are of course symptom treatments, as the underlying problem, the Auto immune problem, can not easily be fixed.
If you do not know what an auto immune disease/problem is, it is your own immune system that has been keyed towards a part of your own body.
These are the worst ailments to fix. The researchers and Pharma industry are working hard to solve the problem, so we should have a decent cure or help within a couple of decades...
The DNA research is doing its bit too, and it seems that this is the solution. Maybe.

No, nobody said that an naturally organism with medical properties is snakeoil......
Snake oil is an effect less agent given wide ranging healing properties by charlatans...

It is quite sad when people today, people that have themselves benefitted immensely from the research and development done in Medicine and Dentistry the last 100 years, distrust the whole industry.

Porkfat has been used to massage aching joints btw historically in Europe.......

Last edited:

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
Emu Oil?

In the US they had Snake Oil that was good for everything, including lightening the wallet of the patient!
:)

Comparing something with proven benefits to snake oil is not helpful. My personal experience with Emu Oil is positive, I suffer with eczema and it helps without any of the side effects that traditional chemical treatments have. We (forum members) were asked for suggestions for natural remedies, you don't like them and you've made your point quite forcefully a number of times now. You're entitled to your view but I would ask that you not denigrate my opinions or experiences until you've walked a mile in my shoes (as it were).

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
As you wish!
Note, there is no such thing as 'like' or ' not like' in the medical profession.
We base our knowledge on research done with double blind tests and such.

And as a final note, please read my posts where I recommended proven alternative methods like sun, Dead Sea mud and Tar preparations.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
And as a final note, please read my posts where I recommended proven alternative methods like sun, Dead Sea mud and Tar preparations.

None of these have ever been much use to me. It seems to be the way with psoriasis that what works for one person won't work for another. I guess this is why people try so many different things. Medical advice and pharmaceutical prescriptions are all fine and good but there doesn't seem to be a catch all solution to this problem.

As far as people being wary of the pharma industry you have to remember stories such as the acne drugs that made people kill themselves. Maybe the drug worked fine but the side effects are less than acceptable.

The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a statement...advising physicians and consumers about reports of "depression, psychosis, and rarely suicidal thoughts and actions" related to use of the acne drug isotretinoin (Accutane)."

It can also cause birth defects if someone took it while not knowing they're pregnant. Do we even need to talk about Thalidomide?

You suggest sun as a psoriasis treatment but the side effects of UV treatment include increased risk of cancer.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
In the end it will all come down to genetically tuned treatment to the individual. It will also take account of the near 50% makeup of the average human that isn't human.

Feels like a lot of our treatments are very much buckshot n hope. :)

Both me and my boy suffer, me mainly from contact dermatitis and the boy is similar but also has general dermatitis. What is a fact is in the warmer months when we are outdoors more and the central heating goes off for 8 months we are both much better, the boy an almost complete recovery. In the cold months we run a cold house so its not like we over do it with the heating.

I say try it all and i hope something works for you. Could be diet, life change, topical treatment, hydrocotz, emollient,

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I agree this has turned into an interesting thread,
However like most long interesting threads it starts to get personal and goes pear shaped.......................people should remember this is a forum, and people are going to have different views on things, and if they don't agree with what you say, so what, if we agreed on everything there would be no need for a forum.....people have strong views and if someone disagrees or shouts down their views they take umbrage..........live with it.......we aren't children.
I myself got barred of Edgematters because I disagreed with something a mod said, pointing out what he said was untrue...he took umbrage and barred me.............his loss not mine.................he was still wrong barring me didn't make him right.
So let us keep things civil, but not at the expense of just agreeing with anything that's said.
We can all learn things from these threads, and its a shame if they suddenly stop or get stopped because they get personal.

Reactions: Nice65

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
On the whole a discussion where there's a lot of input from multiple sources is a very good thing. It's one pleasure of the internet forums that we can write a response and it will show up.
In real life I'm quietly spoken :D

BcUK's a broad kirk, a few simple civilities and no one gets banned. Well, spammers do. Occasionally folks are given a few days off to chill, but bans are incredibly rare.

M

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I prefer forums that allow people to offer a difference of opinion and where people are willing to debate a topic. So often when searching the interweb you come across forums with threads that offer an answer to what you are searching for that is just based on very little fact and might be something that is regurgitated without anyone actually considering the truth of the matter *cough mumsnet*.

Anyway back on topic :rolleyes::

Reactions: Macaroon

boubindica

Forager
Mar 13, 2018
London
disclaimer: the following is by no means medical advice -

i heard that peeing directly onto your own affected areas, and letting it dry works wonders for psoriasis. never tried it myself but i do know of one woman who said it worked for her... how frequently and the exact details etc, i do not know, but might be worth investigating?

i think it has something to do with your body eliminating things that your body needs?... probably not a good idea to try it if a urinary infection is present :sick:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
disclaimer: the following is by no means medical advice -

i heard that peeing directly onto your own affected areas, and letting it dry works wonders for psoriasis. never tried it myself but i do know of one woman who said it worked for her... how frequently and the exact details etc, i do not know, but might be worth investigating?

i think it has something to do with your body eliminating things that your body needs?... probably not a good idea to try it if a urinary infection is present :sick:

I'm not investigating that one :confused2: I wonder how she managed it though?...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE