Backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 15, 2012
UK
too many choices, too many choices.

What do you guys think is the best backpack to get?

Budget: £40-50
litre: 40-50
and a few outer pockets
must be able to: attach my tent, sleeping bag and sleep mat to the outside with the straps that are on it.

Last edited:

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
If you dont mind camo the 45L PRI British Army bergen has quite a few straps and options for extra pockets that can be added or removed as required.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Budget: £40-50
litre: 40-50
and a few outer pockets
must be able to: attach my tent, sleeping bag and sleep mat to the outside with the straps that are on it.

There are loads, but a pack a bit bigger that can carry your sleeping bag internally has got to be a better option. Why do you want to expose your gear to water, mud, brambles or other abrasion, when you could have a larger pack that stows everything inside? Hanging gear from the molle system changes weight distribution and pulls at shoulders etc. I’m long done with Maxpedition type bags, just the most uncomfortable carry with extra bits hanging of it jiggling around.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader

Surplus Belgian Army Daypack. Large external load loops top & bottom however the pack itself is only around 30L. Rides high on the shoulders and was intended for use with magazine pouches attached to the straps to aid balance. Good examples with the waterproof coating intact are just £20. Finding anybody selling the magazine pouches is more problematic. The lack of a hip belt also means after the first couple of miles your shoulders are going to feel the strain. They do look nice fully loaded though.

Personally I agree with Nice65, get a bigger bag and shove it all in.
British Army Bergen (without rocket pods) 100L .. shop around online in north wales you can find them for as little as £35
600D material makes them heavy beasts but you will never worry about damaging it

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Yep, if you are constantly strapping stuff to the outside you are either carrying too much stuff or you need a bigger bag.....or both! Lol

OP, how far are you carrying this pack mate?
If its car to camp just a short walk then it doesn't really matter

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I am with Nice65 - Never ever put a sleeping bag outside a bag - it's vastly more likely to get shagged or wet, even with a dry bag. A tent or mat maybe, but never a sleeping bag.

If you want a 45l bag, then you will need to spend a fair amount on kit small and light enough to go in it - a bigger bag is a much easier and cheaper route.
55l to 65l is much easier, cheaper and more flexible.

There was a smiler question a little while back, and my suggestion was to ignore anything surplus (heavy, uncomfortable) and certainly anything 'tactical, and go look on EBay for a Berghuas or Lowe Alpine 55l to 65l pack, which should have a decent back system, be comfortable, well made and be good value. There are also a fair number around.

Looking at the moment, there is a Berghaus 65l Trailhead for £50 or best offer (grab that now), plus another one bidding at £23 currently. And there are a fair number of others. There are a fair number of Lowe Alpine packs as well - there is a Appalcian 70l pack for 35 quid plus shipping - just a broken buckle. Bangor is a bit heavier generally, but decent enough and there is one for 15 quid at the moment.

The only exception to the surplus rule would be the L.A. packs from Endicotts, £33 being very good value, although you have no real need for Molle (army yes, hikers no).

Personally, I would offer that seller on EBay £40 for that Trailhead - new with tags would be a very good price even with shipping. £45 would still be a great deal.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
That's a good call from Old Bones, the Dutch Army Sting Rucksack (made by Lowe Alpine) is very good indeed, 55ltrs without the side pouches and within your budget on Endicotts website. Has the added bonus of a back system akin to that which you'll find on hiking packs.

A cheaper option, and one that I use regularly is the British Army Northern Ireland Patrol Pack. It's 38ltrs (feels more like 50) and bombproof, easily has enough room for an overnight camp and you can strap extras on the top and bottom if you so wish. You can often get the genuine examples for £20-40 on ebay/surplus stores. The only negative about the pack is that is doesn't have much of a back system, so it's not ideal if you're planning to hike long distances.

Old Bones also mentioned the Berghaus Trailhead 65, that and the NI Patrol pack have been my two 'go-to' bags for camping for a couple of years now and I love them both. I used the Berghaus on a two night camp over easter, it was loaded to the gunwales with camping kit for the cold and wet weather that was forecast. I also shoe-horned in all my food and a few beers and the pack handled it really well.

I'm surprised the good ol' Swedish Army LK35 hasn't been mentioned yet, that is super cheap and more than adequate for your needs. Not my cup of tea if I'm honest as I could never get it to sit right on my back but I think I'm very much the minority there as many other folk wax lyrically about it.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I can vouch for the Lowe alpine Sting, awesome pack. Totally bombproof, very comfortable to use, I have never had discomfort from it. Removable side pockets would mean you should not need to strap stuff all over it.

Only downer is only in DPM camo now, olive green is extremely rare and well out if budget if it shows up.

The highlander range is pretty good, got a 55 litre one that is pretty good. Side pockets are pretty useless as they are small and poor shape. Nowhere near as comfortable as the Sting though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE