Give me your fiction book recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazooka Joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 27, 2011
Danmark
Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg. One of the best fantasy books I've read.

Set in an immense world teeming with alien races and fantastic, almost magical, machinery, Valentine, an itinerant juggler, wakes up one morning with only a vague and troubled idea of who he is. He gradually discovers, through dreams and portents, that he is in fact his namesake: Lord Valentine, the Coronal, his body and throne stolen by a usurper.

https://books.google.dk/books/about/Lord_Valentine_s_Castle.html?id=Rlwq3zuI4nQC&redir_esc=y&hl=da

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
For those of you more into the sci fi genre I have just recalled a superb series by Marshall S Thomas, it starts with Soldier of the legion and continues with several other ... of the legion books which following the story of a prefix epic unit of what amounts to space marines from their initial training through to several campaigns.
I’m not usually one for spaceships and lasers but this really had me hooked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenThis

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is unusual movies are better than the books.
Das Boot (U-boat?) the fantasic German movie is one of the few.

I thought the 13th Warrior was good entertainment though.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
Growth Of The Soil by Knut Hamsun, a great story of building a life in the backcountry.

The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson, an epic Viking tale!

Reactions: Janne

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Patrick Rothfus -
John Gwynne - The Faithful and the Fallen books 1-3
Brian Staveley - Chronicle of the Unhewn books 1-3
Lindsay Burokers - The Emperor's Edge 1-6
James Maxwell - The Evermen saga 1-5 (I think)
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trilogy (and anything else by him)

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
A second vote for Iain M Banks. If you are a sci fi fan but get annoyed when the physics is "made up" I can recommend the Expanse series. I've just finished the 7th book and the attention to the actual science/physics of space travel and the effects on the human body is terrific. Also some highly imaginative stroy telling.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Growth Of The Soil by Knut Hamsun, a great story of building a life in the backcountry.

The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson, an epic Viking tale!

Bengtsson wrote two books, about Red Orms travel West, and the second about his travel to the East . Are both books in the British edition?

justmosey

Nov 18, 2012
Denbigh, North Wales
Hello,

Years ago, I read through the Dune books by Frank Herbert. Dune followed by the sequels. I think you would find the story and characters and settings very appealing. You will never forget them. They are timeless and you will live what you are reading.

All the best,
Stephen

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Patrick Rothfus -
John Gwynne - The Faithful and the Fallen books 1-3
Brian Staveley - Chronicle of the Unhewn books 1-3
Lindsay Burokers - The Emperor's Edge 1-6
James Maxwell - The Evermen saga 1-5 (I think)
Brandon Sanderson - Mistborn Trilogy (and anything else by him)

I’d forgotten about the emperors edge series, b**dy good read that I may have to revisit.

Mark Lawrence’s Red Queens War and Broken empire Trilogies we’re superb, Brent Weeks Lightbringer series and the, imo, very underrated James Barclays Raven series were also excellent.

Richard Herley’s pagan series is also worth a read with some pretty good references to primitive culture along with a compelling story.

Last one that I have been madly googling to find the title and haven’t red for some years - Jasper Kent’s book Twelve about a group of vampires during the napoleonic war was excellent and I have just discovered there are sequels I wasn’t aware of!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE