Aircraft hold-all luggage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
are the following allowed in you hand luggage:
Compass
Firesteels
Matches
Lighters
Safety pins, First aid kits including electrolyte powders

Just planning for the future with a potential trip

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I doubt whether matches, lighters, and electrolyte powders are allowed in hand luggage, as well as scissors or anything they think can be used as a weapon, it depends on the person who checks your luggage. Better to be safe than sorry, and unless its absolutely essential for health reasons don't carry it, if they dont like it you will lose it. So if you are not sure put it in the luggage in the hold.(and even then they may take it out, if they see it on the xray)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Depends on the airline a bit. Pins and matches are a no. Some airlines won't allow lighters.

If the electrolytes are sealed in sachets or whatever, then they ought to be ok. Don't be demonstrating the firesteel if questioned at the airport. :poke: :)

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've had all the above through on my person. They can get a bit upset about lighters and matches in your bag, the remainder should be fine. My EDC first aid kit has a pair of scissors with a rounded tip and small cutting edge. One guy 'measured' them against the side of his ID card and okayed them because they were smaller.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
I've had all the above through on my person. They can get a bit upset about lighters and matches in your bag, the remainder should be fine. My EDC first aid kit has a pair of scissors with a rounded tip and small cutting edge. One guy 'measured' them against the side of his ID card and okayed them because they were smaller.

I had forgotten completely about the scissors in my FAK and got caught out when scanned. Once they were identified they were allowed to go through.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
We can offer general advice here, but ultimately you need to read the guidelines for the airline that you are flying with, and the airports that you are going to travel from and through.

Bic lighters are generally allowed on ones person, but the pressurised turbo jet style lighters tend not to be. They do not like liquid fuel, but a Zippo on your person may be fine. Some things can go in hold, some carry on. It doesn't always make obvious sense which is which.

The airline may have preferences, but you aren't usually screened by the airline, you are screened by the airport. For instance, I can fly from the UK with a small pointy knife in my pocket so long as the blade from tip to pivot is under 60mm. Ditto scissors, even pointy ones. Not allowed pliers though. Flying back with same airline from the US, no knives, no exceptions...but, I can scissors with up to 4 inch blades, and can carry pliers if they are under 7 inches, so Gerber MP600 bladeless, no problem, specially modified SAK with both blades ground off, no problem.

Compass should be no problem.

Ferro rod...well, various descriptions would suggest that they would not like this, but I travelled often with one before reading about it and no one has ever seen it and no one has ever questioned it. If it is packaged so it cannot be struck to create sparks in the event of turbulence, and if it is big enough to require a lot of heat to get going, then practically it isn't much of a risk. Sparklers are not allowed, but they start burning very hot from just the application of a match flame, and strike anywhere matches may ignite if they are crushed in their box.

For flying within and out of the US, the TSA have an excellent and very thorough web site. I only became aware of this site late last year, no idea how long it was up before that. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring

Its just important to know that the TSA are stricter on some things and more lenient on others than some other authorities.

UK government has a similar page:
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We can offer general advice here, but ultimately you need to read the guidelines for the airline that you are flying with, and the airports that you are going to travel from and through.......

..........For flying within and out of the US, the TSA have an excellent and very thorough web site. I only became aware of this site late last year, no idea how long it was up before that. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring

Its just important to know that the TSA are stricter on some things and more lenient on others than some other authorities.

UK government has a similar page:
https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions
Excellent advise. The US and UK websites are great sources for what's legal within the respective countries but as C-Clayomb said you also need to check the individual airlines (their rules may be stricter)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Norwegian, British and US security did not object to these items:
Storm matches, large alcohol filled boat compass, two 200 g jars of Neutrogena hand cream (!), two SAK with blades of around one inch.

Homeland Security did not like the two large dry sausages though. . Cut both open, they wanted to test the inside with those explosive testing patches. They saud the fat content shows up like posdible explosives.
They let them through.
One is a Reindeer meat dry sausage, the other one a Whale meat dry sausage with Red Wine.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Janne,
You astonish me! 200g jars of hand cream in carry on? On three separate checks? ...and you didn't buy a lottery ticket that day? In the UK I was stood next to a guy travelling back to India who had packed jars of Dolmio type sauce and marmalade in his luggage, a gift for his son back home. The whole lot were confiscated.

I am further astonished that you were allowed to enter the US with dry meat. I have had to eat or surrender ham sandwiches at US Customs. Maybe it was an onward flight and they didn't realise that the meat had originated outside the US?

Anyway...
Something I have read elsewhere, and have personal experience with; don't travel with anything that might be questioned that you cannot afford to lose.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Something I have read elsewhere, and have personal experience with; don't travel with anything that might be questioned that you cannot afford to lose.

Very good statement
years ago I had a SAK confiscated because it went into hand luggage (not by me) as a bottle opener etc. i still miss it for the sentimental value.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Norwegian, British and US security did not object to these items:
...... two 200 g jars of Neutrogena hand cream ..........Homeland Security did not like the two large dry sausages though. . Cut both open, they wanted to test the inside with those explosive testing patches. They saud the fat content shows up like posdible explosives.
They let them through.;;;;;;;.
Janne,
You astonish me! 200g jars of hand cream in carry on? On three separate checks? ...and you didn't buy a lottery ticket that day? In the UK I was stood next to a guy travelling back to India who had packed jars of Dolmio type sauce and marmalade in his luggage, a gift for his son back home. The whole lot were confiscated.

I am further astonished that you were allowed to enter the US with dry meat. I have had to eat or surrender ham sandwiches at US Customs. Maybe it was an onward flight and they didn't realise that the meat had originated outside the US?

Anyway...

There's a difference between limitations because of security and those because of Customs. The airlines and security agencies generally don't object to you bringing your own food aboard (within certain limits) for consumption in flight; but taking that food into off the plain and into another country is a separate issue. It applies equally to anything else you might be carrying in your travels so the OP will want to research that as well.

I'm also surprised you were allowed to board with that much hand cream.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I never worry about Customs. It is the Security that is always my worry.

Yes, my wife showed me the creams when we came home ( I just packed them without checking) and told me I was an idiot, and that was the reason the Security took my hand luggage to the side so we almost missed our last connection.....
We had only 50 minutes in Miami, to leave the BA flight, clear all the controls and get onto the last plane.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I never worry about Customs. It is the Security that is always my worry.....
Depends on what the item is and your tolerance for the consequences and different irtems have different consequences:

-Some items are merely confiscated: fresh meats, plants, etc. and if their value is low it's probably no big deal. On the other hand a valuable fur from an animal that might not be allowed traded in some countries while it is in others (or an antique musical instrument with ivory parts) might be a severe loss

-Some items will incur a monetary duty:which might be small or might be significant

-Still other items, which though legal to fly with and legal to own in the originating country might be illegal to possess or import to the destination country could result in arrest.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Going a bit off topic:
The thing is, we are in transit in the US. So I should not have to follow 'specific US' regulations in my mind... I know the legal bit, I am wrong thinking like that!

In the past, I had these food items confiscated in Miami while 'transitting' from UK to Cayman: Creamed Cod Roe ( says Kaviar or Caviar on tube) , (cooked) blood sausage. Smoked pork fat with Paprika. Swedish chewing tobacco (snus).
Pirks without hooks. Other lures without hooks.
About 5 years ago I transported 6 collapsible Shimano Travel rods. I checked the legality of having them as hand luggage. Was fine.
The security woman in Miami did not allow them through security. So I went through a process to have them checked into the hold.
Never received them.
5 brand new Shimano rods. Not cheap.
This got "stolen" from my checked luggage by the authorities: Travel fishing rods. Cheese. Processed Swedish cheese in tubes.

Back to topic: If you have an item that you 'think' is legal, but the officer that deals with you think is 'illegal' it is pointless to argue.
Most are fine and understanding, imo. Most are 'liberal' in their judgement of the item.
But sometimes you encounter a real a-hole.
My rule is: I try to stretch the limit, but I never argue. I smile and play stupid.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Janne you just reminded me of another limitation for carry-on (hand luggage) the fishing rods. I too tried to carry some onboard years and years ago (over 35 years actually) even before security was a big issue like it is now. They were disassembled and packed in a proper hard rod case. They were perfectly legal to have in my carry-on as far as what they actually were (I believe they still are) yet I had to check them anyway. The problem was that they were too long to fit in one of the overhead bins or under a seat as required.

Lots of things affect what you are or are not allowed to carry.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The travel rods were short, they fitted in the ‘legall carry on’ box.
The reason they gave me was that they could be made into a pointy dangerous weapon.
Fishing hooks are not ok to carry onboard, I did check that one.
Lot of things affect - yes indeed. The mood of the officer is a major one.

Some years ago a lighter (type BIC) was a no-no. Today it is ok. Have the terrorists forgotten how to use one? I assume the ban was so they could not start a fire onboard?

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
are the following allowed in you hand luggage:
Compass. Yes
Fire steels. Yes
Matches. Yes
Lighters. Yes
Safety pins, First aid kits including electrolyte powders Yes

Just planning for the future with a potential trip

Tent pins of metal?

Note that you should check which medication ( prescription or over the counter) is ok to take into the country you plan going to. Remember the female drugrunner that tried to smuggle in several hundred of a banned pain med into Egypt ( where the same substance is totally banned as heavy narcotic? It was obvious for all what she did, but even 5 tablets could land you in a nice Egyptian prison!
Carry a copy of the Rx for ALL prescription medication you carry

Last edited:
Reactions: santaman2000

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE