Mercedes ML270

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm looking at buying one of these used, and wondering if anybody here has any experience of them?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Be aware of they most of them are made in Alabama in the US. Some were made in Graz in Austria.
Depends on year ( Graz production line stopped in 2001 about or so)
The VIN number will tell you exacly where it is made!

MB has factories all around the world and it is possible the UK market vehicles are made elsewhere.
I owed a C class made in South Africa. Now have a c class AMG made in Germany. I think the German one is slightly better, even if it is of the same generation,

I have owned two MLs, both US made, and felt the quality was not ‘Mercedes Benz’. Interior plastic felt cheap and squeaked, roadhandling not 100% solid. Paint ( one solid colour, one metallic) was very thin. The SA made C class was better.
The latest generation, called GLE is supposed to be better than previous gen’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Macaroon

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes, I have read about the quality issues of the Alabama made ones but apparently, in the UK sold ones, they had a minor facelift from 2002 onwards and resolved the problems you mention, satisfactorily as far as I can find out.

The one I'm looking at is the 2.7 liter diesel model, just under 80k on the clock, never towed or had kids in it and was used by the same person to do a short-ish motorway journey twicw a week. Fully serviced by MB main dealer and really does look as though it came from the factory yesterday, underneath as well; it also drives superbly. The chap wants £4600 for it and I'm very tempted to buy it. I know somebody who has the same model but with the 4 liter petrol engine and he says it's the best used car he ever bought, he's put 40k miles on in two years and can't fault the car; but it's not a direct comparison.

Any more input much appreciated.

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
I had one which as a great car, avoid silver as the water based paint turns to rust around the wheel arches and rear number plate. Interior fairly bomb proof, actually quite good off road, just be aware of the price of main dealer servicing and parts prices.

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I have a 2005 ML270.Automatic Bought 18 months ago for £3000 with 105,000 on the clock
Was in excellent condition.
Tows a 3500kg trailer with no problem but does not like long gradual inclines (when towing) I have been down as low as 10mph with foot on the floor by the time I got to the top of Cadwell Hill. (Lincolnshire racing circuit)
Averages about 26mpg running around, and 17mpg towing.
Road Tax (from memory) £385 per annum - its the 'top band')
Last 12 months lots of rust around rear wheel arches and 'front' of bonnet.
Need to top up engine oil every 600 miles (THATS THE HANDBOOK INSTRUCTIONS - NOT JUST MY CAR)

I will run this one into the ground but would not buy another - Land Rover Discovery much better vehicle.

Edit : Its a 2005 not 2003.

Last edited:

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
We looked at these and ended up buying a Honda CR-V. Never go wrong but I understand why you would want the merc for towing. I’d also be looking at Toyota 4x4 of some sort. Late surf or maybe a land cruiser.
I’ve fancied the ML a few times but always went with something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks folks, some good insights there, very useful feedback.

I have looked at Toyotas and they all seem to be quite a bit more spendy for the year, mileage and condition. Trouble is I've backed myself into a bit of a corner, timewise, as my current runabout is awful and needs re-insuring and testing next week and I don't need the expense of that just while I use it to source another vehicle...........but I will broaden my search and see what's out there.

Water-based metallic silver paint? Well I've learned something there, who'd have guessed, eh?

I must say, though, I am really taken with the cabin layout and seats etc. on the Mercedes; seems to be exactly where I'd be comfortable for me to be in, and I guess that means a lot in a car you'd be looking at using for three or more years, hopefuly.

Thanks again all :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks for that, Colin, all grist to the mill, as they say........

I'm up to my ears in info. on these now, and in danger of over thinking it all so I think I'm going to give her a test drive Tuesday and go on gut feeling as to whether to take the plunge :eek:

Sometimes it's tempting to think you can eliminate the risks of used cars by extensive research, but of course you can't and much of the time it's a mixture of research and luck.

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Off to look at a Ssanyong version on Thursday, three years newer, same mileage and exactly the same spec., but about a grand cheaper!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE