Anyone been to Iran?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
My son Thorin expressed the other day that he was thinking of going to Iran and I sort of shot down the idea, mainly based on what I read etc. Got me thinking though, has anyone been and if you have what did you think?

I don't want any political rants etc on this, just some thoughts if you've been...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not to Iran, but I have family and friends who work or have worked in the Middle East (aviation or oil field work) There's always some danger but I doubt Iran is any worse than the rest of the Middle East. Just from my time in Saudi nearly 30 years ago I can say he should enjoy some of the culture. What's his motivation for going? Work? Education? Curiosity?

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I’ve been a few times but not seen the country at it’s best nor been anywhere worth a second look. My dad used to tell me how stunningly beautiful it was in Tehran when the Shah was still in power & how friendly the people were. It’s a huge country though, & maybe there are still bits of it where a traveller will find a welcome - I don’t know of any though. Personally, I reckon most of the sandy countries will benefit from a time to settle down before any Westerners will be viewed without either suspicion or ransom potential. My apologies if my views upset anyone. Cheers

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
A friend cycled through Iran a few years back. He had a great time, found people really welcoming (including the border guards). Might have been partly due to the way he entered the country and method of travel. He fell very ill while in the country and people could not have been kinder or taken better care of him.
Best to separate politics from social culture. Going by his stories and photographs, the culture of being welcoming to strangers as guests is alive and well in Iran (including the officials). The usual rules of don't be a jerk, don't challenge people, don't discuss politics apply.

Reactions: santaman2000

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Not been, but have Iranian friends.
They told me it is a wonderful country, rich history, lots to see and very good food.
I have been told as the state encourages tourism, they make sure it is very safe.

As a tourist I never indulge in or religion. Important when you travel to countries with a different political and religious climate than your own!
I watch and learn, enjoying myself!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've travelled desert lands quite a bit (but not Iran, my father did). I always had a warm welcome if I said I was Welsh/from Wales. But then, to be honest, the people in desert lands are genuinely welcoming in my experience.

Do not take photos of people without their permission; the nomad tribes are particularly sensitive.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I have been getting itchy feet and Iran appeals to me, I've been reading up on some of their recent history. From a tourist point of view this guy's not bad

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Went there many times, to load crude oil...Ask your son if he will speak to that bloke in uniform at the oil terminal gate if I can have my Zippo back please, he confiscated it in 1963, even though it was empty and stowed at the bottom of a bag...the jobsworth!!! :laugh: :laugh:

facebook image uploader

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I was thinking after posting those videos, your son could have a different experience solely based on his age, I.e. he is likely to be ‘military age’. They’re a weird bunch with a fascinating history ancient and modern.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
No, and though I have friends who have traveled all over the Middle East and generaly had positive experiences Im not sure any went there.

(They are female friends which may make a difference)

There are lots of national parks (as well as interesting history) so I imagine a person with such interests would find a lot to enjoy.

I would probably put Iran at the head of my Middle Eastern list if I could travel, but then I am a Classical scholar!

The food is nice and I am told they have great skiing resorts!

Always the very real risk of being sold a carpet though.

Dont be a jerk...but dont be a jerk anywhere, come to think of it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
It is called self preservation.

Sweden is a country that is liked by most countries, as we have not waged war for centuries.
USD is the easiest currency to use in most countries, but it can make you a target.

All your tshirts have English themes? Really?

Anything else of importance you can bring to this thread?

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
It is called self preservation.

Sweden is a country that is liked by most countries, as we have not waged war for centuries.
USD is the easiest currency to use in most countries, but it can make you a target.

All your tshirts have English themes? Really?

Anything else of importance you can bring to this thread?

I think that whether or not honesty is a good policy for travellers is of importance, mainly to travellers admittedly, but still, travellers matters too.

I have no idea why you're asking about my wardrobe.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
What do you think I know?

What don't you understand?

Really simple. I think that lying about your nationality when travelling is a bad idea, it stops you from making friends, and making friends is entirely the reason that I travel. If you need to pretend to be someone else to travel to a place then maybe don't travel.

Reactions: Macaroon

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I did not understand your previous sentence, but I get it now!

Yes, I see your point, but is your personal safety not worth anything?

If I wear a tshirt that says ‘Big Apple’ am I lying? If I have Euro instead of USD, am I lying?
(I have had problems exchanging £ in some countries. Never € or US$)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If he decides to go, tell him to get some carpets! He needs to spend maybe an hour online, learning about quality.
He will find very nice quality carpets, at an unbeatable price.
Larger shops send internationally.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE