A quick Neck Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is a long time since I made a knife but while I was reading Prebble's book "Glencoe" I decided to make a little neck knife with a flavour of a Sgian Dhub...
I had a couple of old Stainless Steel carving knives in the "recycle-able steel" draw in the workshop (it used to be a garage...) and a bit of nice burr wood of some sort and lots of leather scraps and this is the result of about a day's worth of effort.
Steel - 2mm SS of some sort with a full flat grind and secondary bevel, tapered to the spear point. Thumb grip gimping. "Satin" finish Concealed tang.
Blade - 9.2cm long 2.5cm wide at the base
Wood - burr of some sort (to pretty to do much to! ) with an adapted "Henry rabbet (or " "rebate" in English)" for the tang 5min epoxy.
Handle - 10.5cm long 3.3cm wide at its widest 1.5cm thick at it's thickest
Leather - wet formed 3.5mm veg tan sewn with artificial sinew.
The glue line is a bit too visible for my taste really but looks worse in the photos than in real life!
The slab handle is more comfortable than you would think and the blade cuts well and holds it's edge but judging by how hard it was to sharpen may prove a bit "chippy"...
I am quite pleased with the knife for the first attempt after not making a knife at all for several years.
P3010002.JPG P3010003.JPG P3010006.JPG
On of my first knives was a more trad Sgian Dhub using a bought in Damascus blade and Ebony
Dec07441 (2014_12_26 19_57_08 UTC).JPG

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think I know what you mean ..
Obsidian (from a blade I got in trade)Hazel , rawhide and pine resin glue in a "hair on) hide sheath and a Flint bladed (knapped by me ) Hazel rawhide and resin glue model without a sheath yet..

.P3030001.JPG P3030002.JPG P3030003.JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And a "20 minute 1 knife spoon" carved with the neck knife (I literally had 20 mins before my wife came home and found me carving in the house ... it was cold in the workshop...)
Not the best spoon knife ever - not enough sweep to the edge - but the result is usable - even if there are random cuts to the bottom of the bowl where the tip of the blade caught...
The knife cuts very well but I will team it with a spoon knife in future:)P3030006.JPG P3030007.JPG P3030008.JPG P3030009.JPG
The photos make it look better than it actually is! But "The camera never lies" :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
All told - and spread over a couple of sessions - I guess the knife took me about 8 hours ... the rough spoon took 20 mins and about the same to finish it off to a fair level of good looks using spoon knives and abrasives. The embossed slip sheath took about an hour (or a bit less) in working time:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE