Meat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
So, you Onmivores, how do you like your meat?

Recently I read a foodie article that said that it is increasingly more popular eating Sashimi chicken. Yes, RAW chicken!
I almost puked.
Then I started to think how I like the different meats I eat.
Fish - completely raw if certified fresh, or 'cooked' in acid type lemon/lime juice, or gently cooked so it is 'just' coagulated. I hate overcooked fish.
Shellfish/crustadeans - well cooked. I can eat raw Oysters, but do not like the texture or taste.
I am fine with raw roe from various shellfish, fish and even from sea urchins.
Salted or salted/sugar cured roe of course.
Whale - rare, or marinated then 'blue'.

Pork - well cooked, low and slow for ages. If pink - back to oven
Birds of all sort - well cooked, low and slow.
Beef - either low heat, long cooking or medium rare in certain quality cuts.
Yes, even blue but then it has to be exceptional quality.
Beef Tartare I like.

Lamb - low and slow. with Garlic, thyme and Rosemary. Or Indian.
Pink? Nope. Back to the oven!

All wild meats - low and slow

What about you?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
IMG_0182.jpg

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Domestic meats are fatty enough (8-10g/100g cooked meat) to withstand quite variable cooking.
Tough cuts always get 3 hrs @ 285F with apple wood in the BBQ for excellence. Cannot hurry that.

All fishy things cooked quickly but I need to have some Maillard for the taste.
Not a fan of bait or sea urchin guts. I like cold smoked PacNW salmon nuggets.

Game (elk, bison, venison, moose) is dry, maybe 2g fat/100g cooked meat.
You gotta be quick, commonly use a marinade or a wet mop. A couple extra minutes = old boot.
Do it right? Cut it with a fork tender and juicy.
Game birds are a little more forgiving ( Canada geese, ducks, pheasant, grouse, turkeys.)

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thank you, you ruined my dinner, Nice65!

Thank you Robson V, you explaned why Whale meat must not be 'well done'!
It is a very lean meat.

The Norwegian friends cook it to death by tradition, but I have managed to feed them medium-rare whale steaks and they are it!
They did refuse Mackerel sashimi with Tamari and horseradish though.
They went pale. Green tinted pale, just like me thinking how that raw chicken must taste....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I can eat sushi and actually like it, but I'd rather have my fish cooked. Fried is best. Oysters I like fried, raw, or several other ways. Beef is best raw or rare but I can still enjoy it more well done as long as it's not dried out. Poultry I like cooked just until the juice runs clear (most people overcook it until dry) Chicken is good most any way you cook it but fried is always best. Turkey is good fried whole, baked, or smoked. Quail are best fried but can be good baked or grilled.

Most deer or others from the same family depend on what cut. Backstrap is great braised with a wine sauce/gravy. Often the best use of venison is to grind it and add suet back then use it as you would ground beef or make it into sausage. Squirrel and rabbit are best fried like chicken but BBQ is a close second with rabbit.

Shrimp and many other shellfish are best in a low country boil but i can eat fried shrimp (and whole fried softshell crab) and really enjoy gumbo.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
last year we had a 3m boa killing our chicken -- as nothing gets wasted in the jungle it went into the pot. best way i found to cook it: marinate 12hrs in homemade banana vinegar, chillies and herbs from the garden, then slow-cook until meat is tender

A hard core forest dweller would have boa constrictor sashimi....
They say snake is like chicken, right?
:)

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I like fish crispy mostly, but not samon of course, and most meat on the char side, kind of camp fire tasting, and beef I'll have most ways raw all the way to char but for beef its best form is jerky.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I need to confess.
I have tried dog.
In Indonesia. Taste? Bland.
Turtle we can eat here, we have Turtle farming here, and they release loads into the wild.
Taste of turtle? Think Veal with a faint fishy flavor.
Caymanian traditional meat for Christmas.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I tried dog, once. Blah even when I was told what I was eating. Big deal.
Far too many other things to eat.
Don't think I've ever tried any turtle. Kangaroo is a very strong, beefy taste to me, it's OK.

Outdoor clubs usually have annual fund-raising game dinners. In winter because the furs are best and the meat freezes fast,
that eventually makes the game dinner table as Lynx & cougar, beaver & porcupine, etc. Try what you like.
The cats are OK. Bison is still the herbivore to pick.

I draw the line at bugs. No. Not. Locusts and tarantulas will never be good enough to eat.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The only bugs I am OK with is crab, lobster and crawfish.

I envy you being able to try those meats.
Organic, Free Range, Free Running....

Iguana is nice though.

If people knew how nice, we would have Iguana farms all over the world.

Reactions: santaman2000

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......draw the line at bugs. No. Not. Locusts and tarantulas will never be good enough to eat.

The only bugs I am OK with is crab, lobster and crawfish.......

Yeah, I'm fine with those bugs; and shrimp.

Funny when you think about it. I remember the joke about the guy going in the diner asking,

"What's the special of the day?"

When the waiter answered, "Beef tongue" the customer replied, "Yuck! I couldn't eat anything that came from a cow's mouth. Just bring me a coupe of fried eggs."

its
It's rather tough without marinating first and full of small bones like eel,taste was somewhere between chicken and squid --me likey

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Interesting. I have had the European grassnake, but was horribly starving, and do not remember any taste. Not much meat either, that much I remember!
Stinks when you clean it too.

Interesting. I have had the European grassnake, but was horribly starving, and do not remember any taste. Not much meat either, that much I remember!
Stinks when you clean it too.

i guess it also depends on the snake's diet: the file snakes of northern australia taste more like fish.. (i hasten to add that out in the wild i leave snakes alone and non-venomous spevies in the yard, too --- but i don't fancy the idea of a boa eating my bestest little buddy Chucho (a rescued street dog)...)

btw.: has anyone else tried dugong?! (=i had the opportunity when spending time with australian aborigines on dampier peninsula 11years ago) great taste but hunting therm is forbidden for non-indigenous people...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE