COLD HANDS AND FEET

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Snow insulates. Snow blocks wind chill. We might not see as warm as -11C for weeks.
60cm snow on my roof is far better than nothing at 0C or colder (makes my house creak and the front door won't close without help!)
My compost box has an ice dome over it as the fermentation process releases significant heat.

Small animals such as the resident birds and the squirrels are quite active.
Just as all our ungulates and bigger animals do, they can make biochemical changes
which prevent the stiffening of extremities. (Phospholipid membrane molecular saturation substitutions).

Humans are still capable of doing the same thing to sustain manual dexterity and circulation at low temperatures.
I'm never out often enough or for long enough to stimulate this.
But, I've seen it done. Mechanics changing wheel bearings on a logging truck, bare handed at -20C.
I've got 2 sets of liners for my snow boots. Come indoors, take off the boots, take out the liners = habit.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Canadian wild flowers have the genetic capacity with solutes and bound water, to cope with refreezing. Crocus, Lupine, Gaillardia and others.
I have added Lupine and Gaillardia all around my house for a spring blast of colors. Perennials, they thrive on neglect.

The bigger risk is not refreezing of snow melt at all but late frosts. That will kill fruiting tree and shrub flowers = zero crop. Nothing at all!.
One recent frost "strike" killed nearly 1/2 of my grape flowers AND, the effect lasts into the next year's buds as well.
Got 100% of my Saskatoons and more than 1/2 the neighbor's apples on one side and all the pears on the other.

Recall that the melt water is carrying 76 cal/g heat into the residual snow. ALL that heat must be lost for refreezing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My crocus', snowdrops, and primroses are doing fine, but with it still -3.8˚C when we got up, and now +1.3˚C, that freeze/ thaw really bites.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
...and less than half an hour later it's +12.3˚C, but the ground is still frozen, just the top few cms will get the heat.

I think the advice to the OP about layers is very sound.

M

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
-5 this morning and frog spawn already in the ditches. Hopefully it will survive.

I find footware choice helps a lot. I never wear my steel shank boots in cold weather on site as the steel seems to double the effect of the cold but any boot with nice thick rubber soles and a bit of space around the toes to allow for a second pair of socks without compressing the fabric usually works well. Not so great if someone drops a brick on your foot or you stand on a nail though. I guess the blood might warm your toes for a bit...

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I just bought a pair of glove liners from decathlon for €4 that's like £3 I suppose. they are great and have grips for holding stuff also good when driving to grip steering wheel and metal thread tips for iPhone etc. I've been wearing them constantly then putting mits on over the top when it's been colder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Toddy

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The classic NI leather gloves are good enough for me at the moment. So far as my feet go, I did buy a pair of Aldi Snow Boots a couple of years back, but I am managing at the moment with two pairs of socks inside goretex walking boots.

Trotsky

I don't really suffer cold hands so fingerless gloves are all I bother with. For the feet however it's a different story as I spend long periods of time in steel toecap boots at work. I've always worn good woollen socks but, in the depths of winter they're not enough so I've taken to wearing ex East German footwraps over the top of my socks and if it's really cold I made some woollen footwraps using some thinish wool material Toddy found cheap on ebay some time back. Nothing gets through that combination that I've found, not even riding my motorbike in freezing conditions.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
That link's not going through for me. It's leading to a kind of we'll find a better deal for you site.

Oh I've had that a lot on bcuk. Just click on the decathlon logo on that page or I usually copy and paste link directly into search bar at top cos that 'compare better prices' link through is a pain and I don't want to give whoever it is that set that up the satisfaction of knowing what I am searching for.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
As others have said wool insoles, socks and gloves for the inner layers for comfort, warmth, moisture management and breathability, .

Unlined leather boots and gloves as the top layer for it's breathability, wind and water resistance and its durability to protect the wool.

Another point I don't think has been mentioned is circulation;
I lace my work boots in a certain way as well as miss different eyelets (toe and ankle areas) so that there's much more space to let the blood flow whilst having plenty of support.
Also loosening them up will allow the feet to breath better so you will have drier, warmer feet.

Another few tips is to keep those fingers and toes moving. Change socks every now and again and just because it's cold don't leave your gloves on if they're going to get wet, take them off (or at least the woollen ones), then put them back on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE