Walking adventure - Kit help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I'll ditch the rucksack altogether and leave with what I can fit in my pockets....

LOL, that does remind me of a youtube video, papa hiker iirc, he used his tarp as the rucksack, double use out of everything can't be bad, a simple 3x3 tarp as you're on about is a versatile bit of kit, I've used mine a few times a a tarp tent, spacious, I've had 2 plus kit under mine in tent mode :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'm kind of in two minds about this. It's great having multipurpose use items, but if the item get damaged, ripped, torn, whatever then all those uses are compromised. The same with UL items, it's nice to have stuff that doesn't weigh very much but I find it needs to be looked after and handled more gently that I generally handle things.

Using stuff frequently over long term I'd want something that can take a bit of abuse, this means the items tend to be heavier, bigger, heavier, thicker, heavier.

Also I'm happier giving my stuff to my kids to bash around if it's not stupidly UL expensive stuff...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If something breaks, you just buy new. Simple as he does not plan to spend a couple of weeks at a time wandering the Swedish/Norwegian mountain chain all alone not meeting another soul.

I did that yearly for close to 20 years, with as light equipment as I could buy. One knife. No tarp or tent.
One inner layer change. Food.
If you know you can not replace something you just have to think and be careful. Including your body.

Not running around like a deranged Bear Grylls.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If I may also venture into more intimate parts of the human anatomy, it is very important to keep a very good hygiene in the genital area and between the butt cheeks.
A good soap, talcum powder (and maybe wet wipes for nightly cleaning).

If you get a skin infection or irritation in those areas, it is virtually impossible to walk.
I am speaking from own experience.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Always wise to take care of your feet. Need to invest in some decent socks too, I think. Alpkit Dortnag arrived today, with a little handwritten note which I thought was a nice touch. I've inflated it and will leave it for a night or two as directed - I guess to let it sort itself out after being compressed for a while?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Ah, I’ve left it inflated with the valve closed while I’m away the weekend. The end with the valve seemed much chunkier than the foot end, hoping it sorts itself over the weekend.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Picked up an Msr pocketrocket from go outdoors this weekend. First impressions are it’s really small/light but packs a punch! I’ll use it at work tomorrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE