Walking adventure - Kit help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
-5*c is a pretty good rating as far as these things go (do you sleep warm etc) but will cover most nights and keep you alive if not comfortable on the colder times.
Plus it easy to beef up with something like a light summer bag inside or just a lightweight down jacket (essential kit in winter)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Agree. But if the temperature will be lower than most UK March temperatures in previous years as predicted, it may be a bit borderline.
Maybe you will need an extra blanket , or sleep with more clothes on.

I find I am more cold from underneath, even with an insulating closed cell foam sleeping mat.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
I don’t like being too hot while sleeping so sounds like -5 will be about right? Can always wear more clothes for occasions where it was colder.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I don’t like being too hot while sleeping so sounds like -5 will be about right? Can always wear more clothes for occasions where it was colder

Its one thing to sleep relatively warm, but you wont have much control over the temp your sleeping in, so always better to be cautious - if its too warm, just unzip the bag or even use it like a quilt. But if its cold, you will really know about it, and although you can add extra layers, its better to get it right the first time. Plus if the bag is reasonably fitting, there wont be that much extra room. A decent 3-4 season bag will be something in the range of minus -5 to -8.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I'm going back and forwards between shall I bring a tent or tarp? Sleeping bag, mat, cooking equipment etc?

But now my thoughts are use my 3x3dd tarp set up as a lean to but half of it tucked under an alpkit dirtbag as a groundsheet. Decent sleeping down sleeping bag (can I get away without a bivvi bag or will it get damp?) And not bringing a cookset, I'll hopefully be couch surfing and able to cook there or buy street food etc.

I should be able to get that lot in a 40l pack, no? Would be handy because I could scrape through as hand luggage with that if needed. Karrimor sabre 45?

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Tarp on its own isn't going to be comfortable, tent on its own isn't ideal for days when the weather might be against you. Tarp/tent combo gives you options and a greater degree of comfort.

I'd take a tiny stove, one of the Chinese titanium ones like this. Couple it with an Alpkit Ti 400ml mug and you can heat a bit of water for a cuppa or stock drink.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BRS...4e8e-4d9e-9582-4237fde5e63e&priceBeautifyAB=0

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Tarp tent combo sounds a bit excessive? I'm hoping to use hostels/couch surf most of the time. The kit is really so I don't get stuck out with nothing if I can't find anywhere.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I don't plan on sleeping outside that much, just wanted to be covered for when I don't secure somewhere to stay. Sleeping bag choice is tricky because I'm hoping to head for warmer climates but also don't wanna get stuck somewhere and freeze to death lol

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
For the odd nigh in chilly weather, you can use a small tarp and a +-0C rated sleeping bag.
The technique is to wrap yourself and sleeping bag loosely in the tarp, like a cocoon.

You do it so one corner of the tarp can be folded over our head (inside the sleeping bag) to protect against drizzle.

size of tarp - 2x2 or 2.5 x2.5 meters or so
The tarp acts as an extra insulation.
I suggest you go as light as possible, more pleasurable that way.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
That sounds like it'll do the trick. I think I'll take my DD 3x3, dirtbag mat and suitable down bag. Now to decide on stove or no stove..

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
3x3 is heavier, 50% heavier than a 2.5x2.5, but more insulation of course of used 'mummy style'.

For the odd night out, the rest in B&B or similar, I personally would not take a stove, but eat and drink cold.
Bread, sausage, cheese. Beer. Wine.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
There may be two of us so might be handy in that respect and I've already got it so saves buying another. I'm aiming to go as light as possible, around 10kgs ideally.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
That sounds like it'll do the trick. I think I'll take my DD 3x3, dirtbag mat and suitable down bag. Now to decide on stove or no stove..

Wrapping yourself in a tarp sounds like an exercise in suffering - a decent bag, where you dont have to wrap it in anything, would be the best way. And I'd try out the pleasures of a tarp before you go on your adventure - there is a reason why tents are popular.

And yes, you need a stove. A simple lightweight one like this is OK, although one which doesn't just sit on the container is more stable. It means you can brew tea, and have a hot meal. And its cheaper cooking for yourself than stopping off at a pub, etc, if you can find one.

Hiking isn't about suffering. Comfort is always key, otherwise its just miserable.

Reactions: bopdude

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Like I say, the sleeping kit is a backup really but will be well worth taking! That stove looks cheap enough and small, Gas shouldn't be too hard to pick up if I run out?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Using a tarp that way is absolutely no suffering. It acts as a water proof blanket. And gives another couple of soft-ish layers between your bones and sleeping mat. Softer.
Try it.
I personally prefer a tent 100%, but only use the outer part in summer similar to a tarp.
The only times I have used a dedicated tarp was to 'break' in my son.

I was of the impression that the Leon would mainly stay under roof, so why carry a stove and fuel?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Thanks guys. My alpkit Dortnag and sabre 45 should both be delivered today! Ooooh I like buying shiny new things!

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I know there's lighter bags but I wanted something tough that would last me. I'll have to sit down at somepoint and put everything I plan on taking, minus the sleeping bag etc which I don't have and see what it leaves me.

Reactions: bopdude

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE