Walking adventure - Kit help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Light footwear makes a huge difference if you have damaged knees ir knee.
I stupidly persevered using my trusty 35 year old Red Wings. Swapped last summer to much lighter Solomons.
Heaven!

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all, this thread is making for interesting reading.

To the OP: I'd concur with much of what has been said about lightening the load. I wouldn't necessarily concern yourself with buying the most luxurious and expensive kit made out of titanium and what not. Just think very carefully about what you need to pack and whether or not you'll use it.

Shameless plug.....feel free to take a look at my blog (link below!), I wrote about a long distance hike I did in August last year on the North Downs Way. It was far from a success and I touched on some of the reasons why, hopefully you might find this of some use. The main thing was to be realistic about the distance you expect to walk each day and the much laboured point of lightening the load.

For example, I'm planning to walk another section of the North Downs Way this spring, I've opted to swap out the tent for a bivi bag and small tarp as I simply didn't spend very much time in the tent! I'll also take much less food and rely on local shops/pubs to keep topped up. One thing you definitely shouldn't scrimp on though is a good nights sleep so make sure you're warm and comfy.

Most of all, enjoy yourself. Try not to rush the walk, it's not a race! You'll have a great time with your mate and create some amazing memories.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful!. Plan may have changed slightly and looking tk do exactly the same just head into Europe,hitchiking/walking/couchsurfing/camping. Thinking sleeping bag, bivvi bag/tarp or poncho maybe? How much would I be looking at for a decent light sleep set up?

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Be careful with this type of thing. My brother went climbing in Fontainebleau for three months and didn't come home for 7 years...

What kit have you got already?

tarp 50
sleeping bag 150

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Be careful with this type of thing. My brother went climbing in Fontainebleau for three months and didn't come home for 7 years...

What kit have you got already?

tarp 50
sleeping bag 150
That’s exacrlt what I’m hoping for haha! I’ve got a DD 3x3 tarp and an old army surplus arctic bag which is huge! Looking for something a bit smaller.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The first sleeping bag I bought myself was a softie Kestrel, used in UK all year round [although not in really bad weather], this replaced a Vango my parents bought me for cubs / scouts & DoE things. I still have both:) the Vango is big and warm [not quite as big or warm as my arctic surplus] the kestrel would be a bit cold for me now during the winter - fine when I was young and prepared to shiver a little...

maybe go for a softie 12 osprey?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
I'll take a look at the osprey online now, thanks. I was thinking 3 season?

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I've just re-visited the snugpak sleeping bag webpage - IIRC I bought my kestrel for £75 in a purple in the 90's :)

Maybe the kestrel would be ok for you? it is a three season, and at the time I bought thought it was the best trade off between weight and warmth.

It has been awhile since I bought a sleeping bag though so there maybe other better manufacturers out there, but I think snugpak have a fairly good reputation.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That’s exacrlt what I’m hoping for haha! I’ve got a DD 3x3 tarp and an old army surplus arctic bag which is huge! Looking for something a bit smaller.

I'd stick with 3x3 if possible, it gives options. I invested in a DD Superlight a while ago, and it really is a lot lighter with smaller pack space. I'm not sure it's almost £30 worth of advantage though.

You've probably seen this, but the option to make a tent if the weather is foul might be handy.

You're going to be needing a decent mat. Bulky closed cell for peace of mind? Or self inflating for weight and pack size?

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Ive only used it hanging off my camper as an awning so far so would be good to use the bloody thing lol! I think foam mat, there's an excersize mat laying around the house, is there much difference?

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
and an old army surplus arctic bag which is huge! Looking for something a bit smaller.

Look around and see what the market offers - and dont look at seasons too much! Although 3 season is a good bag to aim for, since it will cover much of the conditions you might face, think how you actually sleep. Do you sleep warm or cold? Under a tarp will be colder than a tent, and as a couple of people have said, a decent mat will be essential. I'd certainly got for self inflating (you can always pack a thin closed cell to put underneath) - much lighter, smaller to pack, and much more comfortable.

If you search by the sort of conditions you'll want to sleep in, and how you cope, its much easier than just Googling '3 season bags' - because not only will you end up with too much choice, but its not perhaps realistic for the conditions. I remember travelling in November, where the outside temp. was about 15 degrees at 2am! On the other hand, North Scotland in late June felt like November at times. So going by season is sometimes misleading. And there is no harm in adding a degree or two to what you think your fine with - good down bags tend to slightly underestimate how warm they can be anyway, but better too warm a bag than too cold.

Certainly go for down bags if you can. Much more packable, much lighter, and just more efficient. Remember, your walking, and so weight and bulk are your enemy. Every single kilo will really be felt, so a smaller pack is a lighter pack, etc

Dont worry too much when people scare you about moisture - you pack any sleeping bag in the same way - preparing for the worst, with a dry bag, treat it carefully, etc. And DWR coatings, etc make them more robust than in the past. Rab and Mountain Equipment will be the two best known brands, which you will find in stores, but Alpkit is always a benchmark for excellent value, and you might find some exotic US bags like TNF, etc. There are some good guides, like this one, and once you know the market, you can look on Ebay, etc.

You have to be realistic in pricing, and I'd recommend setting up some auto searches for stuff on Ebay, which will alert you to new items, but looking quickly on Piclink (which is a pretty handy site), I found an ME Dreamcatcher, a ME Helium (which I'd be in the market for myself if I had the money!) and a Rab 400. And a Marmot. You might do well for about £120-50, which is pretty cheap for a down bag, even if you sent it off for a clean. Buy the best you can, its worth every penny.

You can buy synthetic, but its really Mountain Hardware which is at the peak these days (they compact pretty small and light for synthetic), Snugpak being not as warm as promised (my Osprey was never as warm as billed, even though it was supposed to be 4 or even 5 season back in the 90's) and not exactly at the cutting edge any more. People might like them for the whole mil spec thing, but to be honest, you can get better value in synthetic with MH, and get down second hand for the same money.

For mats, have a look at Alpkit for a good baseline - again, a cheap mat will be heavier, more bulky for a certain R level than a more expensive mat. The trick is, as ever, to get to know the market, and then get the most for your money, making sure that the essentials like a mat, sleeping bag, pack and boots are as good as possible. The rest you can sort of economise on.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful!. Plan may have changed slightly and looking tk do exactly the same just head into Europe,hitchiking/walking/couchsurfing/camping. Thinking sleeping bag, bivvi bag/tarp or poncho maybe? How much would I be looking at for a decent light sleep set up?

Gotta say i would go for a tent in this scenario.
Personal space is so important. Admin, cooking, washing, just being able to shut the world out for a bit

Not to mention any sustained bad weather. If you're on the road for any length of time you might decide to just sit out a hellish day
My choice for this would be a sil hex peak or similar

Also agree with old bones. Mountain hardwear Lamina bags are about the best synthetic bags around......but i'd use down insulation (and a thermarest)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ive only used it hanging off my camper as an awning so far so would be good to use the bloody thing lol! I think foam mat, there's an excersize mat laying around the house, is there much difference?

Not really, but night after night on a thin exercise mat isn't going to be comfortable. They're fine for an hours yoga or whatever, but not going to last 8hrs a night for weeks without wear and compression. Plenty of army mats would suit, some roll up and some can be folded. I'm not up on foam mats though lots of people here will point you at some good ones.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I always ask myself why people are willing to spend a fortune on the shiny kit. Knives and titanium this and that yet when it comes to the most important aspect of long term wilderness living they skimp.

How you sleep will effect every aspect of your performance from the physical to the decision making. Fatigue kills in hostile environments..

If it’s a straight choice between an expensive knife and a decent sleep system I’ll go for the sleeping bag and thermarest every time. Might not be as glamorous but it will improve the experience of ever over night adventure.

I can carve with a mora, my bacho axe. I anyone of the handmade knives I own and the GBs or Nic Westermann’s I own.

Equally I have slept at minus 27 with no tent or sleeping bag. Didn’t dig it though.

Invest in a good self inflating Mat and you won’t look back.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Sounds like it might be a decent down bag, self inflating mat and tent I’m after then. Will look into those and see what comes up in my budget. Will also be needing a stove. This is something that I’ll use at work anyway so will be a handy piece of kit to have.

I’m hoping to pack everythibg in my 25l backpack. It seems large for the small litres it is but do you think it’ll be pushing it? I’ve used it for mo the travelling a couple of times, granted I wasnt carrying sleeping gear and a tent! I really want to travel as light as possible though.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
25ltr? Only if you are an extreme ultralighter. Long time since i'v had a warm synthetic bag but thats gotta be 15ltrs on its own

Plus weight, an unframed pack will generally only carry 10kg tops comfortably.
As wayne said above. Sleeping system and pack are places to spend your money
think more like a 60ltr pack

Stove wise, whatever gas stove you can get cylinders for where you are going
Meths is good but not quite as easy as gas

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
Yeah maybe that was a bit optimistic! I’ll look at some 60litre packs as well, this could get expensive but you’re right, sleeping and carrying it should be a priority.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
25ltr? Only if you are an extreme ultralighter. Long time since i'v had a warm synthetic bag but thats gotta be 15ltrs on its own

Plus weight, an unframed pack will generally only carry 10kg tops comfortably.
As wayne said above. Sleeping system and pack are places to spend your money
think more like a 60ltr pack

Stove wise, whatever gas stove you can get cylinders for where you are going

Totally agree - 25l is for ultra lighters who have spent a huge amount of money on their kit, or people who like hypothermia.

As for packs, see what I said in reply to this post - a decent Berghaus 65L with a good back system can be had for £45 or less on Ebay.

Wayne is totally right - buy the best sleeping bag, mat, rucksack, waterproof, tent and boots for your money. If you do your research, buy on deal or second hand, etc, you can much more for your money, and save both weight and bulk. As for tents, look at Wild Country - the cheaper brand in the Terra Nova empire, and lighter than a Vango for not much more money, especially if you look on Ebay. There is no point buying a cheap tent thats 20% heavier than the one you could have had - you'll never take that weight off, no matter how much you throw at it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Lads, whats that popular ospray pack
Yeah maybe that was a bit optimistic! I’ll look at some 60litre packs as well, this could get expensive but you’re right, sleeping and carrying it should be a priority.

Theres a lot of truth to the saying 'spend the most on the things you spend most time with'

If you arent in your tent asleep you are in your boots with a pack on your back

If you were going for an overnighter then sure just use what you've got or comes easiest. But for a longer haul you need good kit from the get go really or it will only end up far more expensive down the road as you replace things in a hurry

Ebay is your friend, quality gear is also a safer bet for buying second hand of course

Still, no need to go right out and buy titanium, goose down, and cuben fiber everything.
best advice ever is pack what you think you need then throw half of it away Lmao

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
What kind of temperature rangebaleeping bag am I going to need for U.K. use and further south? Upto -5?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE