Survival pendant/keyring for £5.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Hi guys. Little DIY project you might be interested in.
Me and my partner have one of those each, me on my neck and Klaudia with her keys. Your phone might die or get stolen or smash on the ground, do you remember any numbers? Also I drive a lot in my day job so if anyone ever find me in a totaled car they will have a chance to let my gf know. I decided to improve mine a little.

So you need two items:

Couple of dog tags from ebay like these (random search):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MILITARY...m=130435842477&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

And for the second half of the project you will need a £1.80 container also from ebay (I have used the 10ml option):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10ml-SMA...var=690100693067&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

All I had to do is to do a little cutout for the lanyard:

And then hot glue those two together, both pieces where a bit porous so they hold together very well:

Now you just have to fill the compartment with your survival/sere items of your choice. I think I can also fit a wire saw in mine next to the fire steel, compass, micro ceramic blade/striker and quick tinder. You can even seal everything with wax or hot glue to make it waterproof. Imagnation is your limit :)

And the final result:

I found that the container and the dog tag are amagnetic and have no affect on the compass. Maybe someone find this idea usefull.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
A dog tag with four or five of your most useful / frequently called numbers would be an excellent idea to cover the eventuality of your phone getting stolen or last. Thanks for sparking that idea in my head. :)

Reactions: BigMonster

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I forget my phone sometimes and once when I did I had to ring my wife, the only way I could get her number was by reading it off the tag on the dog's collar :oops:
So far we used it couple of times in the shops when they need her phone number, so much quicker to just look at my dog tag than to fiddle with smartphone.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have my ICE details on a rolled piece of paper inside a watertight oddities capsule bought at gooutdoors on my key ring or a neck lanyard. The likelihood of passing out somewhere increases with age and I refuse to give up my lifetime love of solitary wandering. I hope any rescuer will have the wit to find it to alert next of kin. But I have had occasion to open it myself to check a phone number.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE