Pimped My Bevel Filing Jig.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would not care if that contraption had no use at all, it would still have a place on my mantelpiece. Lovely work.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I remember the last one I think, lots better over even that.

So if the knife is at the bottom, and the pivot of the arm is at the top, how do you adjust the radius? I'm glad you demonstrated the protractor, I was wondering about that. Also the height adjustment for the running bars is independant each side, any reason?

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks for the comments folks. The blade is clamped at a slight angle to allow for the radius. This is usually slightly tweaked until i'm happy with the first bevel then just set up the same when the knife is flipped and the symmetry should be mirror imaged. I did think about having everything running on a single column but decided not to go down that road. The twin uprights just seemed the better choice for stiffness and stability.

Reactions: petrochemicals
Sep 23, 2019
Edinburgh
Thanks for the comments folks. The blade is clamped at a slight angle to allow for the radius. This is usually slightly tweaked until i'm happy with the first bevel then just set up the same when the knife is flipped and the symmetry should be mirror imaged. I did think about having everything running on a single column but decided not to go down that road. The twin uprights just seemed the better choice for stiffness and stability.

Hi Darren, (i'm not sure if this thread is still active), I wondered if it would be possible to ask you a few questions about your jig? Cheers, Pete (Edinburgh)

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Hi Darren, (i'm not sure if this thread is still active), I wondered if it would be possible to ask you a few questions about your jig? Cheers, Pete (Edinburgh)
Hi Pete. It seems the thread is still active. It has been a while. What can I help you with?

Sep 23, 2019
Edinburgh
Hi Pete. It seems the thread is still active. It has been a while. What can I help you with?

Hi Darren, I'm quite new to this - I have made 4 knives in total as family gifts etc. I have been using a 'Gough Jig' design, made of plywood. It's fine, but repeatedly drilling holes to fix the blanks down, means the base falls apart after a while and when I replace parts, the thing loses its integrity. Now i would like to try and build something more permanent. Then I saw your jig! I was wondering if you would mind if I tried to copy the design? I'm not going to be selling any knives or anything, just as a hobby. If you didn't mind, I was wondering if you might share some schematics / where to source the fixtures etc? It really is one of the best designs I've seen, hence why I ask! No problems at all if you would like to keep it private. Thanks Pete

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
There are no drawings in afraid Pete. It was made from the scrap bin in my work. You are more than free to copy it. The basic format probably goes back to the bronze age so dont worry about upsetting anyone on the copyright front. The uprights are M10 threaded rod.All sizes are worked around the length of your file. The more solid the better is the way to go. Any questions just ask.

Woodcutter2

Forager
Jul 31, 2011
Conyer, Kent
www.tpknives.com
There are no drawings in afraid Pete. It was made from the scrap bin in my work. You are more than free to copy it. The basic format probably goes back to the bronze age so dont worry about upsetting anyone on the copyright front. The uprights are M10 threaded rod.All sizes are worked around the length of your file. The more solid the better is the way to go. Any questions just ask.

Bronze age indeed, I think I remember the early version on a worktop somewhere in darkest beyond with noise sensitive neighbours posted on another forum long since lost to tumbleweed !!!
Always impressed by the ingenuity of makers determined to make. Hat's off gents

Sep 23, 2019
Edinburgh
Does anyone know what these brass clamps/stops are? I have been trying to source them online (or similar solutions), but keep coming up short... Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers, Pete

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
In my work they are called terminal clamps.They are used in the electrical switchgear industry. They come from Japan in boxes and are supplied as a fitting kit with industrial circuit breakers. I'm not sure if they can be bought loose.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE