Utility with Filework.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Latest from the shed. 5mm 01 steel 248mm length,125mm blade. Filed bevels. Filework to upper and lower tang. Green canvas micarta scales with black liners. Stainless and brass pins. Veg tan leather dangler sheath with stainless and brass rivet. It all needs a bit more polishing and whatnot but ive had to step off the "finishing OCD merry-go-round" to maintain some form of sanity.

Comments welcome. Thanks for looking!

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Very nice lines and execution. It might be a photo thing, but the rivets look like they are made of two pieces of dissimilar metals? Ah, just re-read your text! So, are you worried about any kind of galvanic effects? I'm not keen about brass in handles for my own blade handling work, even though it is nice to work with.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks folks. I've been using these pins for a number of years and haven't had any problems.. I've never heard of stainless and brass reacting together to be honest. Is this common?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
In the past i have found that brass bits can get very mucky in knives which arent often used. My own preference when putting handles on blades is to use stainless or nickel silver pins, tubes etc, wherever possible. Steel and brass being dissimilar metals might have some galvanic reaction if they are left with sweat or a splash of seawater on them, the possible result being some corrosion or oxidation beyond what might occur if only single metals are in contact.

However I'm not in nearly the same league as your work :) , so I'm glad to hear that you havent had any untoward effects.

Cheers, Bob

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thank you! Yeah, I drill the holes first, then it's hack saw and files This is my third attempt. It's quite a risky pattern. Lots of opportunity to mess things up.Im not totally happy with this one but its another step or two along the learning path.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
As with any filework, the real skill is down to pure judgement and that comes mostly from experience. When filing the pattern in the blank you have to firstly achieve an even pattern that you are happy with, then file it all down a little more so that when finishing the handle scales the sweet spot of the pattern ends up exposed at the finish. Working this out is the tricky bit.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Very nice, superb workmanship, lovely pattern in the filework complicated but well worth it when it finishes so nice, Excellent work

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Thank you! Yeah, I drill the holes first, then it's hack saw and files This is my third attempt. It's quite a risky pattern. Lots of opportunity to mess things up.Im not totally happy with this one but its another step or two along the learning path.
There are imperfections but surly they just become a whip to your skill? I only ever see fault in my own work and your work is beyond mine, I don't think I will ever not see fault in what I do and in a way I hope that stays with me.

dazcon

Nomad
Jan 8, 2010
clydebank
Thanks for the feedback folks! Very much appreciated. I enjoyed making this one. Tried out a few new things....not all of which worked. I' m particularly happy with the rivet in the sheath. First time I've made and peened my own. A thousand hammer blows but somewhat satisfying. Pretty hàppy with the stitching on this one as well.

samobaggins

On a new journey
Mar 26, 2014
Bicester
Thanks for the feedback folks! Very much appreciated. I enjoyed making this one. Tried out a few new things....not all of which worked. I' m particularly happy with the rivet in the sheath. First time I've made and peened my own. A thousand hammer blows but somewhat satisfying. Pretty hàppy with the stitching on this one as well.

It’s an absolute stunner! The bits you say your not happy with make it unique. One of the joys of owning a hand made knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE