One of those strange burners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I managed to scrounge a nice sheet of ali.

So I was wondering about making one of those chimney stoves that is a cone around a mug or pot?

Are they easy to make and has anyone tried them?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For use with a meths burner?
I bought and its been my go to stove ever since, love it

There are a few vids on youtube with patterns and stuff. Treklight.com would be a good resource

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
They are known as Caldera Cone Windshields, never tried making but are supposed to be pretty good for meths & hexi stoves.
img_6758.jpg

Reactions: Nice65

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Can I suggest you go over to outdoorsmagic website and Google caldera clone?

http://forums.outdoorsmagic.com/sho...era-Clone?highlight=Clone#dThuLjx5ybiIlHl5.97

There's a long running thread on making one including a script for a program that calculates the best design for your pot and burner design.

IIRC it's very important to get the shape of the cone right for efficiency. Right down to the height above the burner flame the pot is held.

There's a variant called the flissure something. It's a caldera clone split into two pieces for pscksbility. The flissure join is a unique design from the originator and thread starter.

Sorry if it takes anyone from BCUK but if you're going to make one then seriously that thread is a good place to start at. Just I expect you to take few days to read it all. It's a long thread with a lot of dispersed information.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW my bought cone produces boiling water for about half the meths of my Trangia stove. If you are successful in making a clone then expect to start measuring out your meths! It's addictive being fuel efficient. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Phew! I will have a look but this sounds all very technical!

I will have to sort out my pots too!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I will have to sort out my pots too!

Yeah, they are a much easier choice if you have a favorite pot!
Mine was made for my much loved msr titan kettle but with a couple of teeny tiny TI tent pegs it works pretty well with a 550ml cup too

The two piece designs are much better to pack

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've got a Caldera Cone and combined with the Alpkit Pot it's easily my favourite lightweight cooking setup, boils 750ml of water on less than 20ml of meths or I can raise the pot up and use it as a wood(twig) burner/hobo stove. Had it for a few years now But I think if memory serves me right it weighs around 300g for the stove, pot and a weekend's worth of fuel.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I've added a link to the original post on the OM forum about a caldera cone above. However I noticed the originator of that thread changed it to add a link to the zen stoves site given above. It was a very, very long running thread so a summary on zen stoves is useful.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
..I've got a thousand an ten other things that I should get on with first, as well as the many many procrastination projects that are in the works already!

Haven't we all!

No expectation at all dude, just a throwaway comment :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE