Slow cooker.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Never take a friend to a car boot.

Not only do you have to deal with suppressing your own urges, they will badger you into purchases

This one thinks I need a Slow Cooker...

So, £2.50 later, I now have a Slow Cooker.

True, as you know, I have a great love of stews...but mine take an hour to cook.

I am told that with a slow cooker I can put it on in the morning and it will be ready for the evening...But I dont plan that far in advance with food!

Now what do I do? And what recipes are good?

Aug 12, 2005
Glasgow
"the slow cooker recipe book" by Catherine Atkinson ISBN 1-84477-376-0, is good. tells you how to adapt ordinary recipes for the cooker. I normally just toss in what ever I've go in the cupboard / freezer, switch it on and forget about it. Be careful of the amount of water in food stuffs, as water will not evaporate, but it will boil over and mess up your kitchen. Enjoy your find.

Dave

nicksteele1990

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2016
Cheshire
It's worth remembering also that slow cookers work a bit differently to cooking in the oven. In the oven, hot air across the food browns it and develops different flavours. In a slow cooker, the only flavours you get out are the ones you put in at the beginning.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great tool and one we use atleast once a week. Stew, Chilli, Spagbol, chicken soup using the left overs from a Sunday chicken roast.

They are not a cook all solution but certainly have their place. Also nice to come home to the smell of food cooking :)

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
My way to slow cook is to start on the hob ( browning and cooking for sbout 15 minutes) then plscing in the oven, heating up the oven to 225 C , keeping it on heat for another 10 min then turning oven off.
This I do in the evening
Leave in oven overnight, place in fridge in the morning. Heat up and eat in the evening.

I am off now to do a beef Pörkölt, tomorrows dinner!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You can do a lot in one. Puddings for example are easy. Get your hands on a book about it. Or Google.

For example, anything you cook standing in hot water in ramekins can be cooked in a slow cooker. Not just stews.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Slow cookers are low power devices so are much much better at keeping things hot rarther then heating them up. So start by bringing your stew up to full temp on the stove top while the slow cooker is powered up and warming itself, maybe with half a cup of water in the bottom to spread the heat. Then add the now hot mix to the slow cooker put the lid on AND LEAVE IT. Each time you lift the lid the temp drops and you add 30 mins to the cooking time. fight the temptation. Leave the thing to work it's magic for 6 to 8 hours. You will have meat that jumps not falls off the bone and veg that shout out flavour.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Fridge, freezer and router - I know. Worries me!
Plus the tv.

I disconnect those when going on holiday.

I have a German made direct water heater. I trust the Germans. Watermeter - mechanical. Electricity meter - outside, 15 meters from house. No oldfashioned phone.

Technically the cooker and dishwasher are plugged in, but in ‘off’ position, to my knowledge no fires have happened when in off position?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
some things do not come across well from the keyboard... so think we are chilling by a fire early evening in a wood some where and I turn to you, look you in the eye and softly say...... "your bl87dy bonkers mate"

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
We have a slow cooker, just getting into using it.

Did a gammon joint in it last week - nearly 10hours on low, the meat was falling apart when finished, fantastic flavour.
Sunday a spanish chicken dish - Ingredients part cooked (browned chicken, sauce thickened) in frying pan before being added to slow cooker.
The heat isn't all that low - it went in with hot stock and was very gently bubbling on low setting.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Low power as in W but not in V.

I personally do not leave the house if any electric appliance is on. Nor is anyyhing charging.
Maybe I am overly cautious.

What are you worried about? Because it's clearly not food poisoning...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE