Semi-winter shelter options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I want to get a heavy cotton or canvas tent/tarp for winter trips , my main beef with the sinthetics is that I have to always worry about making holes in it next to the fire, plus it looks more bushcrafty and thats what matters :) I don't really care about weight as maximum I travel like 3-4km until basecamp. I think I like military surplus more
I got my eyes on the polish lavvuu thinking of getting two to coplete the shelter and also thinking about making a diy hot tent from it , what are the pros and cons of this shelter ? How is the sizing , I'm 1.92m will I fit maybe with my dog ?
What other cheap options can you give me ? I'll be also good for a canvas tarp and make a frame for shelter for winter trips , any ideas welcome , links even more !

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
You'll fit so long as you can sleep bent up like a pretzel :rolleyes:

Have a look on here for Bilmo's extension panel for polish laavuus, it's just what you're after

woooooow , wow ,wow that looks like a dream come true !!! But sadly it is way out of what I can afford , is there any option I can make this by myself? Like if I buy canvas ,wax it and stitch the eyelits for the buttons?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sew a simple tent so that you can get out of the wind. Wind chill is the killer.

My floor is 6' wide x 10' long with 6 pegs and 2 end poles. Zipper doors both ends.
Cover with a cheap waterproof tarp as a rain fly. Any junk will do.

Come in! I have 2 stoves, I want a third one. Heat, light and hot food.

Reactions: Gcckoka

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Does anyone know how I can contact Bilmo ? Or does anyone has his mod tent to give me some pictures to help me make it ?

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I was just thinking , what if I put a cheap tarp insert in between the two? and make the stove jack on the arm hole in the poncho ?

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
I am a big fan of these. The stove flue, if I understand you correctly can go through the sleeve slots if protected. There are many reviews of the lavvu here on this site, on others and u toob. "Simon, a bloke in the Woods/Canoe" has invested a lot of time and skill and made a lovely mini bell tent. (See u toob) Mine is more basic with a zip and I use an external A frame from a Blacks GC standard, but anything can be used.
At 6' 4" I find the lavvu adequately roomy.........

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I found a great pair of ponchos unissued from poland 60 pounds shipped , is it too much ?
If I ordered from UK and ship it to georgia it would be about 52-54 pounds
is it worth it or can i get a better item in that price maybe from US?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I was just thinking , what if I put a cheap tarp insert in between the two? and make the stove jack on the arm hole in the poncho ?
1e45d7611b56921c1e22791983c9ff93--bushcraft-shelters.jpg

However I like the bell tent modifications as it gives more height.

I have a polish lavvu but have not done any mods to it. I do use a couple of extendable washing poles in an A-frame rather than the singular pole in the middle it comes with. I'm 5'11" and have slept in one with two kids, so they are fairly roomy for a small tent.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
You'll fit so long as you can sleep bent up like a pretzel :rolleyes:

Have a look on here for Bilmo's extension panel for polish laavuus, it's just what you're after

Where has Bilmo gone? I was looking for this and the website is a single page and the Bilmo Bushgear Facebook I found is just politics?

I’ve bought from Bilmo before but think I did it via pm on here. Like to see this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
Where has Bilmo gone? I was looking for this and the website is a single page and the Bilmo Bushgear Facebook I found is just politics?

I’ve bought from Bilmo before but think I did it via pm on here. Like to see this.

Did you buy the lavvuu?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
No. I have a Lavvuu already but was interested in the extension piece discussed earlier in the thread.

Not sure where Bilmo has gone?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE