Cheeky question moot or wilderness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 24, 2017
Great Dunmow
Hi all
I went to the wilderness gathering last year alone and whilst I enjoyed the experience I did feel a bit lonely it seemed that most people were either in groups or buddied up with people they new which meant the evenings were alittle lonely by the fire
I also suffer from copd and have ms so the trek from camping field to the show was a bit hard on my old bones especially if you want to just pop back to drop some shopping off etc
So I've been looking at the moot this year but again I'll be alone what's the general feel of the moot and is it possible to camp near your car and the facilities etc
I'm an outgoing friendly chap and eager to hone my skills and join in with like minded people
Any info greatly appreciated
Si

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Sign up for the Full Member, Book for the full time, Come soon after lunch on the monday and there are loads of good camping plots within 50 yds of your car. Head down to the naughty corner and have a most fantastic time. I for one (along with Kim) will be happy to break bread with you and give you the full 5 cent tour.

Reactions: Macaroon and Toddy
May 24, 2017
Great Dunmow
Thanks Hammock_man
I'e been reading a lot of the posts about last years moot and I'm going to book for the full moot as soon as funds permit
I'll come and visit naughty corner

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The Bushmoot and the Wilderness Gathering are quite different. The Bushmoot is less formal and less commercial. The event is based around skills sharing and having a relaxed time away meeting up with old friends and making new ones.

The Wilderness Gathering is a good event more structured for businesses to promote their brands through trade stalls and short workshops.

I have regularly attended both although it’s been a while since I haVe been to the WG. We often have folk attending the Moot before heading to the Wilderness Gathering.

Each have their merits. You will be sure to enjoy either.

Reactions: falcon

Jupiter Jean

Feb 6, 2017
Kent
The Moot is great for all ages, abilities, interests.
We come as a family but frankly we all do our own things and meet up when it's time for food or else our teens go and 'forage' in my store cupboard, only evidence that they exist is the washing up left behind!
There are a wide variety of people, singles, couples & families & most people are extremely friendly, certainly no need to feel lonely. Everyone is there to share their outdoors experience, that's what is so nice.
There is also a 'shared' meal, everyone brings something to eat and by the miracle of the Hut it's a feast like nothing you've ever seen! I now have to produce 'sticky sausages' at home due to this. I've even made Welsh Cakes since chomping on a delicious offering!
As for mobility, there are people who I've seen using wheelchairs around some of the site. It's in a forest which is sandy and makes excellent drainage for when it rains (it's Wales!). I had sciatica last year and although it took me a while to get around, I was fine with a walking stick.
There are plenty of shops in Bridgend & often people share lifts or shopping trips, you don't really want to go shopping once you are there. Shelley has a selection of pastries etc during the core days, in the Hut & there is a taco meal and a breakfast which is popular.
The loos/showers are in the central Hut.
Oh, and also very popular is the second hand sale, lots of people sell unwanted or beautifully crafted goodies in the shop, which is also a great place for a chat regarding that knife, cooking pot, bed, or just for free thing that you may possibly need! We usually end up buying all sorts of stuff.
The Moot is like nothing else I can think of, WE LOVE IT!

May 24, 2017
Great Dunmow
Thanks guys for your replies/advice and I've made up my mind and I shall be at the moot this year sounds exactly what I'm looking for I must admit I did enjoy the wilderness gathering especially the workshops but did find it very commercial which is ok if your looking for gear and I did make a couple of purchases but as I said I did feel a little lonely and a difficult to get around due to the landscape so
I shall be pleased to meet you all at the moot this year
Thanks again

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Thanks guys for your replies/advice and I've made up my mind and I shall be at the moot this year sounds exactly what I'm looking for I must admit I did enjoy the wilderness gathering especially the workshops but did find it very commercial which is ok if your looking for gear and I did make a couple of purchases but as I said I did feel a little lonely and a difficult to get around due to the landscape so
I shall be pleased to meet you all at the moot this year
Thanks again

It will be good to have you along. The moot is a very welcoming event and people will be more than willing to lend a hand should you need anything.

If there are workshops or courses you want to participate in get your requests in early so we know what you are looking for.

Forgeways

Jun 25, 2010
Machynlleth, powys
Brilliant you have made your mind up to come, but just to reiterate what others have said it is very friendly and social in an open way and not closed in any way. I have attended on my own, with the family, with my wife and last year with foster children and we are always made to feel so loved and welcome. I have lost count of the times I have spent time around a complete strangers campfire in the evening, then there not a stranger anymore. The workshops are uncompareable to WG and far superior for free on the core days.

See you soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE