Mould and Fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
My carvings have been in storage for a few month. Now on checking them they must of some how got damp including my burl woods. They are now covered in fungus and saplted is there any way of killing it without damaging the wood?

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I would just wipe it off with a damp cloth and give them an airing (outdoors or in a shed) for a few hours.
It happens to mine all the time as I keep them in plastic bags to slow down drying and the risk of cracking, they just need a breather once a week or so and removal of any visible mound.
Personally I quite like the effect the spalting gives the finished article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A good tip for mould on wood, fabric, leather etc. is to get some Hibiscrub ( or any product with active ingredient Chlorhexadine ) from an equine suppliers. Thin down with water at about three to one and just wipe or spray on; it's a very good anti microbial and anti fungal and is used as a mouthwash in humans, so should be ok in the drainage system when getting rid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE